Dear Nyah - A Letter To My Best Friend

• Backstory: Long ago, when the streets of Lion's Arch were crowded with adventurers looking for trade, companions, and conversation, I was in a small guild full of many tight friends. My main Character was named Ayami Uematsu, a orphan and a necromancer. I had written her a backstory which was lost on my old guild's forums, but the sparknotes of her story is she is from a small village in Shing Jea that was massacred by the naga, her parents were slain, but she escaped with her brother, who she was separated from early on. My friend and I had started Roam Free were creatives... He is a writer(who published his first book this year!!) and I was a graphic designer. Upon inspiration from his writing and his stories, I wanted to write something as well, which resulted in a letter from my main character, Ayami, to his main character, Nyah...

The two were best friends who had saved Cantha from Shiro and the afflicted together, and joined the calling in Tyria to fight the battle against the threat of the destroyers. This letter takes place shortly after the end of Eye Of The North.

This was all written in 2009, so please bear with me, but I'm still proud of the 7 year old letter. I had made it a graphic which I will attach, but as some may find it difficult to read, I will also copy and past the text under the images.
    TheFirstLetter-pg1.png
    TheFirstLetter-pg2.png

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]Dear Nyah,[/font]
    [font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I'm sorry I had to say goodbye like this, but this is how it must be. I've finally found a trail to him. My brother...Ryo. I know what you're thinking, but you're wrong; well, maybe, but I must find out for myself.[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I received a parchment from a woman in Kryta, stating that she has been searching for me for years; she finally got wind of me, due to our guild's work in Tyria. It was very short. All it said was: [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT"]"Ayami Uematsu, I have been searching for you for the last four years now. Now that I've found you, please do a lonely woman her wish; come see me. I live in a small house near the Bergen Hot Springs. Ask for the home of Vivianne; the people here are kind. They'll show you the way."[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I did not know this girl. I have never even heard of that name, much less have I known anyone from the Springs. But I felt fate calling me to meet her; you know the feeling, Nyah. So I went.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]Vivianne...she was Ryo's wife! My brother was married! He'd settled in Lion's Arch after stowing away in a merchant ship going to Kryta. He had met Vivianne there. The way she talked about him was so...warming. She said Ryo was always smiling, always optimistic about everything in life, no matter what. Vivianne told me that he'd always speak of me, and how he'd find me one day.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]Nyah, I haven't broke into tears, whether sad or happy, since...since after my parents' death, and when my brother and I were separated. I haven't felt like this in years. I cried in front of this woman whom I'd never met...I couldn't help it. I was so happy! It was so...heartwarming, so wonderful, to know Ryo never forgot me. I haven't felt this way since before the Naga attacked my village that day. I was so young. I've forgotten what it feels like.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I didn't even have time to take it in, for what she told me next rendered me mute with pain.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]What surpised me even more was when Vivianne told me his body was upstairs...even after four years. I went to see him in his room. Nyah, it was so difficult to get the courage to even open that door. I couldn't shaking! But I did open it...and what I saw brought me to my knees.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]My brother's body now lay in his bed, sleeping and nearly lifeless, if it weren't for a soft breath and a faint heartbeat. I'd misunderstood; he wasn't dead. But he wasn't alive. His breaths were not his to breathe.[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]He had been studying the Ways of the Ritualist and worked as a doctor, his practice covering all of South Kryta. He had the dilemma of saving the life of an idiotic man, who was on the verge of death. The man had been fooling with the powers of Dhuum. You remember what I told you about Dhuum, right? He was the former God of Death. He and his ways are taboo and forbidden to necromancers across the world. Forbidden to anyone.[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]The man had made a contract with Dhuum. He would offer his soul as a slave after his death, for powers unimaginable while he lived. The result was swift. Grenth immediately attempted to take the man's life to prevent any assistance to Dhuum. Ryo heard of the problem from the man's brother, and kept a close eye on him. When my brother saw that the man had finally gone through with the contract, he immediately responded and gave his own spirit to save the life of another.[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]Here in front of me was Ryo, now a seemingly lifeless man. I searched for all these years...and I'd be damned if I gave up on my brother now.[/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]With help from Vivianne and some of her friends, I made contact with the necromancer that Ryo had so selflessly saved. If that man didn't have the information I needed, I would have slain him myself. But he gave me what I needed. I got a location, directions to reach it, and what I'll need to do when I arrive.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]Tonight, I leave for the temple of ages. I will greet Grenth with an offering of one platinum to open the way to the Underworld. I'd pay any amount of gold and platinum required if necessary. I'm searching for my brother. His spirit's in the Underworld. I can find him. I know I can. If you get this letter, that is where I'm going; I may already be there.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I'm sorry I couldn't tell you in person, Nyah. I really am...but I know you. You would involve the guild in this matter. But this is my own affair, and besides...Roam could use a break after those Destroyers in the north. I won't endanger others for my own gain. I know you wouldn't agree...but that's how it is.
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I have no idea how long I'll be...I don't know if I'll even come back. But any price is worth it. Ryo would do the same for me.

[/font]
    [font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I've met with a necromancer friend that has agreed to communicate with me from Tyria in exchange for Ectoplasm, so I will still be able to keep contact with you through him.[/font]
    [font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]In light of my absence, I'd like to recommend Katia Bladerunner to fill in my position as General of Roam. I believe she'd do an exceptional job, and I'm sure you agree. Please Nyah, give the guild my regards. I will miss them all, and you too; I already do. You know that Roam Free was the only thing that kept me from giving up on my own life.[/font]
    [font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]I can't tell you when the next letter will come, so please don't wait for it. I wish you well, my friend. My best friend...
    [/font]

[font="TimesNewRomanPSMT"]- Ayami Uematsu, former General of Roam[/font]

Edited once, last by Iaerah (October 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM).