Arm Challenge #1: Best Screenshots (NEW Price pot: 40a!)

• As this was my first real competition, I'm open for suggestions for how I can improve things until next time I run a competition. All in all I think it went fairly well :)

Honestly I liked how you did it. I doubted I'd produce any kind of mind-blowing screenshot and so appreciated the inclusion of random rolls and things so everyone had a shot regardless.

• I think I inferred something different about the nature of this competition. To be clear, I'm not the least bit irked by the outcome :P, but the title of "Best Screenshot" led me to think the judging would be solely about who took the best picture, and not who happened to luck out with the numbers game. It seems to me this was a raffle or a lottery, as opposed to a skillful contest. I would like to see another version of this premise in the future, and have it be judged by subjective taste at it's core -- perhaps with a panel of three judges? Make skill the winning factor, not luck :) Thanks, Lexx, looking forward to the next pot!

• there can still be an element of luck. I'm not dismissing it entirely. What I think should be the case, though is that round one of prizes should be based on quality of screenshots, and then round 2 can be based on the numbers. The point of a competition is to whittle down the finalists to a group of quality participants. If everyone has equal chance, what's the point? I like the premise of this first go at a comp, just think priority was given to the less skillful element :P. I'm happy to hear what others think though!

• Thanks for all the feedback, it's really good to hear your comments! As it was my first competition, I wasn't sure how to properly judge everything subjectively in a fair manner. Especially in a screenshot competition where virtually everyone posted magnificent screenshots.

Mind you, the original pot were only 25a. I wanted to give a chance to those with a good talent an additional chance which is why I upped the total sum to 40a. I think I'm being fairly generous with the prices as a few months ago I didn't own more than maybe 5a total myself. It was thanks to a competition here at Legacy that ultimately gave me a price which I sold for 100's of arms. (I came 3rd I believe?). The thrill of winning for me was more fun than the actual money, and I decided I will use a substantial amount of that to give others a chance to feel that same thrill :cool:

And as a thank you to Legacy for giving me this opportunity in the first place, I held the competition solely here, hoping it would attract some new users to Legacy as well ^^

I do plan another competition which might be more subjective. Maybe I ask for daily/weekly tasks, rewarding points to those that often complete them, including screenshots. The points would then increase your chance, but not entirely rule out those with less. I'm open for ideas!

All in all, we still have 15a looking for new owners. I haven't had much luck in convincing Legacy staff to volunteer as judges, so I think I will just pick 10 of my favorites, one from each participant. That way, those that posted just one screenshot would have an equal chance to win over those that posted ten screenshots. To be fair, those that posted multiple times do have a small edge as there's a wider selection. I do love all the screenshots, but I also want to reward quality over quantity. This means that if I'm 50/50 about deciding between two screenshots, I might give the edge to the one with fewer screens posted.

• I'll try to be on daily at 8pm - 9pm UTC.

The UTC time can be seen easily at top of the wiki page.

If this time is impossible for you, please tell me 4-5 hours in advance of a better time.

If possible, state the time in UTC as well :)

2a waiting to be delivered:

2a: marine4life

On Saturday 16 June at exactly 8pm UTC, I will /roll for the remaining 15a. I will post the roll list ~24h before that. Anyone who wish can join my party which will form at 7.45pm. Self-invite, limited to the first 7 that sends a request! (Priority to people on the win list)

Date: Saturday, 16 Juny

Time: 7.45pm UTC

Map: Great Temple of Balthazar

District: International

IGN: Kaeden Kinspirit

Any winners in the party will get their arms right away.

I will also announce winners here and wait in GToB Int1 until 8.15pm UTC.

If you win and can't make it, we'll try find a time that works later.

Anyone is allowed to come, not just the potential winners!

There might even be festivities in the district (if I can arrange it*).

Welcome!

Edited 3 times, last by Lexx (June 10, 2018 at 10:45 PM).

• Or you could name the contest appropriately. People that didn't even go out and spend time to take a screenshot worth mentioning have and will win more than those that did. "Can't make everyone happy" might make you feel better. But the contest is bogus, and a waste of time.

You didn't address anything, and it might as well have been a "lottery".

Edit: I forgot to add emoticons to this post ||<X:love:.

• Or you could name the contest appropriately. People that didn't even go out and spend time to take a screenshot worth mentioning have and will win more than those that did. "Can't make everyone happy" might make you feel better. But the contest is bogus, and a waste of time.

I also hate it when someone is giving away their money. And the fact that everyone must participate.

• Well, there is the 15 additional arms that will go to the best screenshots I find worthy. Enough sum I'd say for qualify it being a contest. But that's something you neglected to comment on. Perhaps the 15a is just not worth your time. Your words are like daggers.. oh wait ^^

Edit:

I plan another event soon, on June 16th most likely, where I will give away 1000+ ectos in a scavenger hunt. You're welcome to join that, I promise I won't name it a "contest" to make you upset again. But I do suggest you check the rules once i announce it. For your own sake, it's better you complain early on so we can accomodate your needs. Or simply don't participate if it's not to your liking.

Edited 2 times, last by Lexx (June 10, 2018 at 12:41 AM).

• You haven't upset me at all. I really don't care about the prizes. I have played the game for 8k hours and have everything I would ever want. What i was interested in was screenshots and people actually taking the time to go out and explore for them. This contest turned into a gamble of numbers. I just see no point in submitting anything when it all came down to luck; and scraps for people who actually took the time to provide content. The title of the post was "Best Screenshots" and it can be implied that would be the source of prizes. ohwait?

My username comes from the book Hamlet, "Your words are like daggers". I'm not trying to attack or insult you. I'm pointing out that the subject of this "contest" wasn't and isn't what was inferred. I read the rules and given material. Oh well. Have fun on your ventures. No sarcastic emoticons needed.

• ... and scraps for people who actually took the time to provide content.

That scraps you mention is three times more than I ever owned before I got a considerable amount of arms which I decided to try share back to the community. Sure, I could have titled it better. I did state it was my first contest. You knew from the start what you were getting yourself in to. I did consider feedback from the very start, so why did you join and then wait 2 weeks to complain about the title and the rules. Wouldn't it have been nicer for all if you just wrote a friendly feedback two weeks ago? I would surely consider it.

But yes, for some people 15 arms is scraps. But like I mentioned, you're welcome to join for some scraps of 1000+ ectos around 16 June. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 1000-2500 depending on the turnout.

• It's right there in the rules:

I will decide on the ~10-15 best screenshots I can find (since I couldn't find any Legacy staff to help). This will form a second list which I will /roll on. It's completely independent on the first /roll, and it's there to give those that took an extra effort for great screenshots to earn a bit extra arms. I hope that helps clarify things.

You didn't address anything, and it might as well have been a "lottery".

Edit: I forgot to add emoticons to this post ||<X:love:.

The contest was to get people to show off the new graphics options. If he had made the contest 'i'll pick my favourite' people would've been upset too because its totally subjective which one is best. He gave a pretty good middle ground imo and was doing like 25 random , 15 to his favourites.

Not sure why you're so upset, well, thats not true. I do know why you're upset. You're upset because you didn't win.

• Everyone from the first round should now have received their arms, congratulations on the first "Thanks for playing" lottery ^^

Initially I planned to roll on June 16, this might be delayed a bit. This is to give Legacy staff a chance to pick their favorites. I will regulary post elemination rounds, showing which ones that made it so far.

Each round I'll remove about 10-15 more, until 15-20 remains. Next round in a few days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Elimination Round #1 - 52 screenshots remains

If your screenshot didn't make the first cut, I'm sorry. But we need to make the word "Contest" mean something :S

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Elimination Round #2 - TBA - ~35 to 40 screenshots

Edited once, last by Lexx (June 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM).

• Final elimination round done, 20 screenshots remain!

On Wednesday, June 20, I will be in Great Temple of Balthazar.

You're welcome to join my party as I will /roll on the last 15 armbraces.

Lucky winners in the party will receive their armbracers right away*.

If the party is full, I will check in Great Temple of Balthazar for more winners.

For the rest, whenever I have a chance to meet them up online.

I will post the winning numbers here as well.

* Winners must PM me on Legacy with their IGN to avoid any impersonators.

We wouldn't want anyone to just join the party and claim to be whoever wins, right? ^^

Date: Wednesday, June 20
    Time:

4.00pm PDT
    7.00pm EDT
    11.00pm UTC
    01.00am CET (Thursday)
    District: International District 1
    IGN: Kaeden Kinspirit

Edited 2 times, last by Lexx (June 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM).

• And the /rolls are done!

Congratulations to the winners! ^^

The competition have now ended, and I want to thank everyone for the awesome turnout! If you didn't win anything, there will be more opportunities to come.

The winners are:

Prizes claimed and delivered:

Strange Was Tad

Hydrothermal

Fischauge

Mara

As for the rest, send me a PM within 14 days with your IGN and a few suggested times I can meet you online. Anyone not contact me within 14 days, the arms are forfeit and goes into the pot for next contest :S

Edited 5 times, last by Lexx (July 6, 2018 at 6:22 PM).

• And there lies the biggest problem, there's just so many great screenshots that it's impossible to narrow down after a few cullings. Let's say there's 10 of 50 left, it would be equally hard for me to pick the "top three" as it would be the "bottom three". On different days I'd probably make different picks :D

This is why I decided to roll after narrowing it down to 20. It would be random in either case, just that one of the methods would be more obscure. This was even difficult at ~35 screenshots, on a different days, the top 20 might have looked a bit different :cool:

I learned a lot from this "trial run", and I will try to improve on a few things for my next contest. Something I'm still deciding on when and what that will be. Probably around August as I might not be around the full summer.

• bsoltan April 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM

Closed the thread.