Anet's stance on toolbox

• I think good middle ground is that Anet say its wrong, Maybe give Ban or two so ppl know theyre behind their words. And then ppl can keep using the programs at their own risk. The real problem with toolbox i see is that ppl think its allowed without official word so its becoming meta and accepted. Then The ppl who didn't care they cheat can keep cheating at own risk And ppl scared of ban wouldnt ;)

Edited once, last by Pleikki (May 29, 2018 at 9:45 AM).

• Official Post

the problem with that approach is that eventually there will be a choice for Toolbox if this attitude is adopted - comply or get squashed.

Also for any prospective replacement programs too. It would be less work to blanket-ban all third party programs than to adapt the existing code accordingly.

But I really hope it doesn’t come to that. I’d like to see a middle ground.

I think you underestimate the company cost of a banwave, the amount of code needed to effectively flag all abusers plus the support team to handle all the "I was hacked/It was my brother/I did nothing wrong" spam, and be able to fiilter with legitimate false positives is more than enough to warrant taking the time to change a few lines of code with some QA testing and build iteration

I hope ArenaNet is smarter than to go with the "get squashed" method, if they do that without really looking the games issues, they will kill a good chunk of the games community

• Official Post

I think good middle ground is that Anet say its wrong, Maybe give Ban or two so ppl know theyre behind their words. And then ppl can keep using the programs at their own risk. The real problem with texmod i see is that ppl think its allowed without official word so its becoming meta and accepted. Then The ppl who didn't care they cheat can keep cheating at own risk And ppl scared of ban wouldnt ;)

The "problem" with texmod and other visual mods is that arenanet will never be able to know you are using it without clientside code detection, which they have not used in GW1 (yet... theyve recently resorted to clientside detection in GW2)

Also a blanket ban of toolbox after so much omission from the last 5-7 years will bring backlash, how is that even a middle ground xD. They have done exactly what you have said in the past mind you, it solves nothing

• Official Post

I know, but what I'm saying is just plainly banning people for TB would be the stupidest thing Anet has done since gw2 ;). Even just 1 or 2.

edit: Imo doing something about Toolbox should be far on the bottom of Anet's to-do-list or not at all, so many features are not "game breaking" and are a huge benefit to the general gameplay. There are lots of different issues they need to attend to first.

• Official Post

Oh yes. I don’t get the impression it’s at the top of their to do list. Especially as it’s being done on a voluntary basis for now. But it’s precisely because their work is voluntary right now that neither releasing funds for either a re-write of the code nor dealing with ban appeals are likely. At this stage, I’d say something more generic, sweeping and final would be more likely unless an agreement can be reached. Or nothing happens at all.....

• Well its like on real Life. Politicians And cops cant fix Any real problems or law breakers so they Focus on little things that has Many victims like speeding or going red ligths ;) Works good there, so why not here! To keep normal ppl feel theyre watched out.

• Official Post

At this stage, I’d say something more generic, sweeping and final would be more likely unless an agreement can be reached. Or nothing happens at all.....

Better nothing then, imo.

Well its like on real Life. Politicians And cops cant fix Any real problems or law breakers so they Focus on little things that has Many victims like speeding or going red ligths ;) Works good there, so why not here! To keep normal ppl feel theyre watched out.

Yeah and that's actually fixing things.... My point exactly. ;)

• Hopes up for mass bans in future !

I think this is a rather extreme view. 99% of toolbox users are just using it to save time fast traveling or to open chests in town. At worst, maybe they have a locked chest macro to unlock locked chests in view range without walking up to them or something like that. There are very few genuine cheating functionalities of toolbox outside of:

1. accepting quests from a distance, which allows for people to save time in doa, this is cheating

2. i guess subverting experience gain when completing quests is technically cheating but this is literally only useful for getting low level characters to places they aren't supposed to be. While 100% "cheating", I really find it hard to say someone deserves a ban for wanting to mess around and get Obsidian armor on a level 2.

I have used toolbox a total of one time, for the record. I'm not defending it as a user - I'm just saying that calling for bans in our already small community seems like a really poor attitude.

I respect you from the guru days Pleikki, but I think you're wrong here.

Additionally, I have no specific post to quote, but to Max:

I think your pseudo-neutral position on this matter is below you. Maybe that's a harsh way to put it -- the more posts you make, the more reasonable they seem to become regarding this issue. Your responses on page 2 saying you would like a middle ground are quite good. Anyway, I've always seen you as a respectable guy. I was a bit of a lurker on Guru for most of the later days, but I've known you.

On this issue, I've seen you feign innocence regarding knowledge of toolbox a few times between this thread and Reddit. You act as if you're just being a neutral party who is learning as you go and throwing up flags of concern, but I think you're pretty transparently against people playing with the way the game works in an effort to keep it interesting after 14 years(I am too, I don't use TB, I'm just not pro-punishment regarding it).

I've never gotten a shady feeling from you, but in this case I think you're letting your desire to keep GW pure outweigh your desire to shoot straight with your fellow members of the community.

I guess what I'm saying is, with all due respect, this is my opinion if you end up reading it:

I want you to know that as a reader who likes you, it's OK for you to be against people using third party programs, but acting like you're just concerned for others when forming this opinion is a poor and transparent political strategy. You're concerned for your view of what Guild Wars should be in 2018, too. Own it.

You've been trying to become a sort of ambassador for this side of the Guild Wars community, and again I respect you, but I think you should consider being more transparent with your feelings rather than trying to throw up passive-aggressive scares(I'm thinking of your comments about how old Anet stances on third party programs don't apply to new features of Toolbox, when Anet never commented on them at all. You're looking for excuses to make people worried that you're right, which is kind of slimy.)

I know this was kind of long. I'm not a regular poster and I never have been -- I'm just a lurker who dearly loves Guild Wars and wants to see the community to continue a healthy, not-too-fragmented existence.

Best,

WFI

• This have genuinely brougt peoole into two camps. Some on the extrene end. Opinions are good but in the end we have to respect each other's opinions. It's 2018, the chance of anything happening from this is close to nil. Some people will keep using it, others despise it. Live with it. At most we might get vague responses from Anet giving us similar responses like using other thirdparty apps like multilaunch, texmod or gwdressup.

TL/DR

There's no point in building two war camps if TB should be used or not. Spend that aggression you've built up to hunt some charrs instead.

• Official Post

So you know when you have to read a post a few times to check you read it right the first few because it strikes a chord with you? Well that just happened to me.

@WFI:

You’re more right than I think you know. If I’m honest, I’m struggling a bit with my stance on this issue, and I find it intriguing that you have noticed. The last two and a half years since guru died and we started Legacy has seen my role change somewhat from just being a collector (albeit an outspoken one) to becoming some sort of ambassador for the community in general. And I’ll be honest - it’s not my natural role. I’m having to grow into it. But I am learning all the time, and I don’t always get it right. I have found myself in this position more through luck than judgement. I have been driving Legacy forward (financially and directionally too) since it started, and it has put me in positions I never imagined i’d find myself. I wanted to be known as a collector, and instead myself and Legacy have become entwined as one. I have established direct lines of communication with the Devs and other people at Anet, as well as other community elders, and by working with Kevin this little site has become more successful than we ever imagined. We are planning things that we never dreamed we might.

But that has meant I have had to change my approach gradually. And yes, I suopose I am trying to be an ambassador for the community, because I believe in it passionately and will do whatever I can to keep it alive. And I find myself in a position to directly influence and drive things forward. So to that end, I do feel I have to listen to both sides of every argument instead of just stubbornly asserting one position as I used to.

The issue around toolbox is unique however. I have never used it, so I don’t know it. But I know that large numbers of our community do. My old-Max head says it’s cheating - and my personal feelings back that up. But my ambassador head recognises that it has a large user base, and those guys are as much a part of our community as anyone else. So where does my opinion decide to go, given that I’m naturally torn? Well I have to be responsible because that is the position I find myself in. To follow my heart and call for Toolbox to be banned would certainly fit with old-Max, but community-Max has to take a whole community view. And I’m struggling a bit as I said.

The interesting part of all this is that Toolbox has filled the void caused by years of no development from Anet. Many of the features of Toolbox would likely have ended up being implemented into the game though evolution. So we find ourselves at a unique crossroads. Anet’s neglect caused Toolbox to be what it is today. And it would be tantamount to burying one’s head in the sand to think otherwise. And yet it doesn’t comply with the EULA. That’s the very definition of irony.

So you’re right. And you have noticed that I struggle with this role. I didn’t expect to still be in this position, but here we are. It’s evolving all the time, and I’ll continue to try and keep up with that.

I certainly don’t want Toolbox to divide the community. I spend all my energy trying to bring it all together somehow. To me, middle ground at this stage feels the right way to be going. But of course, I’m just a guy, same as any of us. And old-Max is having to evolve.

• Official Post

Do you know something we don't know?

I’m just not assuming that Toolbox is their only priority. I would imagine there are other more pressing issues to deal with including botters, gold sellers, account stealing, etc.

Also, I can neither confirm nor deny knowing anything.

• Official Post

I’d just like to add something to my previous post.

While it feels that Legacy and myself have fused together sometimes, my own opinions are not those of Legacy. My opinions are my own, and I don’t solely represent the opinion of the staff team. I’m still just Max, and still just a member of the Legacy team. I’m no more important than any of the others. More vocal perhaps.....

• I've only heard of toolbox a few days ago, so can someone explain to me logically how opening a chest from a range is not cheating?, did they intend for chests to be opened at range? definitely not.

People who are defending it are the ones who abuse it and are definitely scared of being banhammered. Same pile of shit as the botters that destroyed the economy of the game because they want every aspect of the game to be easier.