GvG - What Keeps You Away?

• As for the application of Codex Arena's rule of weekly skill deck changes to Hero Battles, what's the ultimate benefit of it, if I understood you correctly, Motoko? Why limit skill choices available there to a lesser utility set? Considering the outlined terms of play are already implemented at the related outpost...

If I understood the environment and meta of HB correctly (I really never did put a large amount of time into it, not to get past rank 3 at least) - there were certain aspects of it that were buggy.

Now, it would probably enlighten me if someone could list all of the bugs... But I do recall shadow stepping and healing teams to play a huge part in the meta. I'd hope that Codex decks would limit those gimmicks and promote a variety of builds.

• I see. :) Well, it might be easier to simply restrict a few skills related directly to these bugs, in my opinion. In case the devs will be reconsidering their previous decision & will be willing to re-enable the tournament. I'm not aware either of the exact flawed skills or how each of unjust advantages functioned and what the entire list might be, though.

• You know what be really low hanging fruit?

Decrease some energy costs to Assassins chains, or at least some off-hand attacks. That wouldn't even qualify as balancing and would take almost nothing of their time, it's beyond low hanging fruit. For any opposers I know sins at PvE can handle themselfs without that. Nonetheless, I miss to a great extent playing them as HOW THEY WERE DESIGNED to be which is impossible right now.

About HA being back to 6 people Smoke Nightvogue, well I was one at that time really loved the change, since PUGing was still flooding HA, it was way easier to form teams to learn and effectively play without requirements, there were also a more variety of teams at that time with way less drama. Also on the plus side not only spiking was way harder, gimmicks builds were impossible to work.

Hey but not changing anything can work too. Hell it's been 8 years and counting and we can see things are just improving. *sarcasm off*

To be honest I'm one of those players that think that the main reason PvP failed at Guild Wars was also because there was too many "modes" to begin with.

It should be from the start just GvG, HA, RA and Fort Aspenwood all at the same map.

Having Alliance Battles, Jade Quarry, Hero Battles, Team Arenas (after Codex Arena) smaller arenas (for level 10 and below, etc) just scattered potential players (pvper's and pvx) from playing together. Hell until this day I can't believe that they took a shot on a model that requires 24 players to have ONE MATCH. Not even MMO such as FPS and MOBAS and other MMORPG's have a fight arena that require that much players together.

Guild Wars would benefit from a serious cleansing.

• My take on VoD.

I played from late Prophecies (pretty low level so I don't proclaim myself as an expert here but have watched videos from this period after I got good) all the way to getting 2nd place in the last mAT with VoD with [KMD].

It was superior in every way compared to Lord damage. In excitement, build diversity, the fact that every game ended with one Lord actually dying, strategic diversity and comeback potential.

All NPCs mattered which ment most characters could split and achieve something.

Casters (the ones which could kill without line of sight) and split healing were in general weaker too which made it actually dangerous to engage some NPCs as well. Risk/reward.

I don't remember exactly what the state of the NPC AI was at the end or when the Lord walked etc as it was changed a few times. Perhaps the NPCs came in waves?

I do remember that they were decently easy to ball though which obviously was an issue but to me the main issue with VoD was skill balance and Scythes (amount of easy to bring AoE, especially in defensive attribute lines) and how skills and armor stacking through better knowledge kept power creeping to higher levels making it easier to abuse.

Examples:

Smiting - Smiter's boon obviously was the final straw that broke the back and allowed for a 4th healer who could also blow up NPCs. There are several skills in here though that just punish offensive play and can blow up balls of NPCs.

Illusion - Adding AoE to Clumsiness and it's copy gave a highly splitable and against physicals defensive character huge VoD power.

Splinter weapon - Was nerfed several times and while not being in a defensive line, was easily brought on a defensive character.

Overall, AoE got little benefits in GvG, especially AoE dps and high damage armor ignoring damage.

Skills like Ice spikes/Deep freeze, Barbed trap and perhaps Energy surge (even though it breaks my comment above) are to me some of the few good ones.

Side note: [EviL] seemed really taken on the bed and played VoD horribly against [iQ]. They should have won easily if they replayed those games again after analyzing what happened. To me, those games have been given too much credit to the destruction of VoD even though they of course put ideas into people's heads.

[EviL] did not split their sins when NPCs came out to force 6v6 but instead trained targets facing an Air of enchantment smiter and let iQ ball up NPCs among other things.

• ele and dervish being too strong + fluxes extend the issue(rather no fluxes)

stale meta (honestly would rather have all nerfs/buffs [even ban sin/derv/rit/para from pvp to match the respective timelines] from the past recylced instead of the same few builds that there are these days).

lord dmg is boring compared to VoD

Edited once, last by Coast (June 7, 2018 at 8:39 PM).

• All the format, basically.

Didnt remember how hard was to make teams and find people in GW. Since ive been playing other games where you just click "Enter" and get a match.

The game should have a Gobal LFG. Of course that´s no "low hanging fruit" so it´s something we will never get to see.