• The dat contains all sorts of data used by the game - text, sounds, images, 3d models, etc. You're not going to be able to open it with wordpad or other simple single purpose tools. I know people have built software that will allow you to view the contents but I don't know from who or where it's found. Searching for "gw dat browser" or similar should bring it up.

What are you trying to do?

d78dd1d.jpg

• I wanna edit the text parts of the file for an overall better gaming experience. I was able to open it with wordpad once but not a second time. I'll do what you said with browser search. Thank you.

The reason I asked for the first ten lines is because dat files generally give away the program they are supposed to be opened with in their first ten lines. Hence the topic.

Edit: Nevermind, did a little research and I hear people have been trying for ages to no avail. Pah

• Edit: Nevermind, did a little research and I hear people have been trying for ages to no avail. Pah

it *has* been done, there are unimplemented monster skills in the wiki that are only known from mining the .dat file

It's out there somewhere how, but it's basically trying to find an ancient historical tool at this point in internet years.

Have you tried making backups to play with different archive programs to open it? It could be a standard compression format, just obfuscated by changing the file extension to .dat instead of .zip, .rar or whichever.

ꚛꚙꚛ Ouch My Assassin | Raise R Bladez ꚛꚙꚛ

Edited once, last by Looney (September 1, 2022 at 3:01 AM).