Low Level Shields and their use?

• Hi all,

I am a full time PVE player, I don't play PVP at all, as a result, I am oblivious to the actual use of low level shields. I am hoping that this post will not only help myself, but others as well.

It has become apparent that Q7/15 Tac shields have become valuable, I am not referring to any specific skin or post, more so in general that these seem to sell and get a large amount of interest.

What I would like to get input on (and I will update this post accordingly) is which of the Attribute/Requirement/Armor combinations are usable to PVP players or possibly valuable for collectors.

I will fill in the below grid with an indication if the combination is good for PVP, PVE, and/or collectors (more than one can apply to one combination).

Thank you in advance!

Command Motivation Tactics Strength
    Q0/8AR

*Attribute doesn't apply

*PVP/PVE - Same Armor as not reaching Req on 16AR

*Collectors

*Attribute doesn't apply

*Collectors

*Attribute doesn't apply

*Collectors

*Attribute doesn't apply

*PVP/PVE - Same Armor as not reaching Req on *16AR

Collectors

Q1/9AR

*PVP/PVE - Min to no use

*Collectors (Min audience)

*PVP/PVE - Min to no use

*Collectors (Min Audience)

*PVP/PVE - Min to no use

*PVP/PVE - Min to no use

Q2/10AR

*PVP/PVE - using only primary profession skills

Q3/11AR

*PVP/PVE

*Collectors (Lowest Gold-rare)

*PVP/PVE

*PVP/PVE

*PVP/PVE

Q4/12AR *Collectors (Min Audience) *Collectors (Min Audience)
    Q5/13AR

*PVP/PVE - Dependent on Build

*Collectors

*Collectors

*Collectors

*Collectors

Q6/14AR

*Collectors

*Collectors

*Collectors

*Collectors

Q7/15AR

*PVP/PVE - Most wanted

*Collectors

*PVP/PVE - Most wanted

*Collectors

*PVP/PVE - Most wanted

*Collectors

*PVP/PVE - Most wanted

*Collectors

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

Edited 11 times, last by Agent Chevy (October 4, 2018 at 3:36 PM).

• I personally use tactics q7/15 on monk (essentially RA but also true for GvG prot) and q5/13 on mesmer, ele (not often tho), necro (RA only). Basically for extra armor with few attribute points spent and you usually bring a tactics stance on these anyway ; q5 and q7 are the best compromise for these classes when it comes to general builds and available attribute points. Hope this helps!

Edited once, last by Ice (September 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM).

• I often find good use in the 11/3 ones on secondary attributes, since you can max two attributes to the limit and then just have enough point left over to bring such attr to lvl 3 - so you can have a secondary weaponset to defend with 11 ar instead of 0 (with a foc) or 8 (with a shield whose req you don't meet) as a backliner in case something hits you.

Since I use such builds that comes handy (e.g. a fire mage who maxes fire and ene since anything else would be rather useless, or a heal monk who maxes heal and div)

For PvP ofc an entire set with +10ar against any dmg types (7 in numbers) helps for maximum adaptivity.

Sometimes I leave one off to get use of 14/6 or 2 off even to use 16/8 - in case it is necessary for reasons. But usually in PvE there is only need for such if you are alon, which usually only happens at farming, where few builds exist, that aren't based on prot spirit (55hp) or sf thus this is not really applyable - at least to my knowledge. On PvP I have few experience myself, but 7tac seems to be an amount that is very attractive.

Almost any can be interesting to collectors, the 8/0 are sometimes used for style if you don't have attr spent, but want the core 8 ar.

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• I have sold several r7/16 tactics -2/stance -2/ench shields to high level pvp players over the years. They all sold for absolute top money, even 4 years ago, they sold for 2000e. That would probably be 4-500a in today’s inflation-destroyed economy.

Edit, before anyone asks... I have no idea why those stats are (were) particularly valuable.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

• I have sold several r7/16 tactics -2/stance -2/ench shields to high level pvp players over the years. They all sold for absolute top money, even 4 years ago, they sold for 2000e. That would probably be 4-500a in today’s inflation-destroyed economy.

Edit, before anyone asks... I have no idea why those stats are (were) particularly valuable.

They were probably bored and wanted a place to ditch money, dual reduction shields are useless in all PvP instances and definitely inferior to regular shields.

q0 - shields are strictly for collecting

q1 - shields are useless since all bars using warrior secondary can either put 3 or no points in the bar, hence there is no scenario in which that req could be useful

q2 - if you use a bar using only primary profession skills you have a privilage of ditching 3 points into tactics to get that 10 armor instead of 9 from default shield (covering weakness)

q3 - same scenario here without considering weakness

q4 - rather unpopular req since points allocation simply sucks, you either want not to give any points in tactics or 5-6 at the very least to get a decent points allocation

q5 - popular amongst RA monks (longer guardian/better DF, shorter stance )and midliners when playing with Protector's Defence or Balanced Stance.

q6 - pretty much all midliners from monk, provide decent points allocation, especially for domination mesmers.

q7 - shorter guardian, longer stance, the most popular among RA monks.

q8 - pretty much a better q9 shield, so you don't have to ditch 9/10 points in tactics.

As for what shield to pick is really up to the player and what he's after. Some people want longer stances, hence q7, some prefer better guardian and higher DF hence q5. Whether you want to take weakness under consideration or not is up to you, but I think it's silly not to since the loss/gain ratio speaks for itself.

• Thank you smexyseniletrader, very helpful! I started to make some updates based on your feedback. I will update more soon.

For others, feel free to provide more feedback. Please keep in mind this is meant to be a guide, not a source of truth.

I find it helpful to have similar sources hopefully you do as well.

Chevy

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

Edited once, last by Agent Chevy (September 30, 2018 at 6:54 PM).

• Smexy said most of it, thanks for that.

Same question is raised for gvg (particularly prots, BUT, considering flux sometimes M/W is worth as fuze).

The answers are similar : depends on your own point of view : use q7/15 to have extra DF, or q8/16 to have 1 extra armor and 1s on stability. My own choice goes to q8/16, but many players would say q7/15 is the only good way.

Edit:

And yes, dual reduction shields are garbage for pvp. No need to explain why +10 arm vs X is way more efficient. Even +30 -2/ench aren't used. They only way to see such bonus used is pvp, would be a triple mod sheild with perfect stats (not necessarily for hp), but at least +10 vs X. But, if such sheild exists, it one the most expensive stuff in game (according to me ofc :) )

IG: jacke l eventreur