Posts by Kahmal

This is an interesting idea - At least how I am interpreting it.

Are you suggesting the idea of randomized goals?

GvG Match Starts - Goal is stated at the start - VoD, Lord Damage, - 3rd option not created yet. Game randomly selects one? This way you can't depend on abusing one form of GvG?

Perhaps the 3rd mode could be a mashup of the two? The lord could walk at say 20. Win by either lord damage or killing the guild lord outright. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to make a new end game but I actually like this idea.

I'd love it if they could in a weird way make GvG pug-able

Any alliance with players could pull this off with a little coordination. If you didn't want to use the guilds you're in, you could make a pug guild with alts to play in from time to time.

For me personally I just need a way to ease into it. I'm used to the occasional rage and shouting (although it can be really discouraging at times). Some GvG teaching is all I want. The reward for me would be to take part on high level in one of the best pvp games ever.

Hopefully at this point in the game someone would be willing to teach new players. I remember a training guild back in the day called team love. perhaps someone could start something similar up?

I am of the opinion that if you start start a GvG team with friends right now you will be absolutely stomped. Ladder used to get you to play with people of your own skill level but I understand there simply aren't enough players for that now.

I agree. Ladder play needs to be adjusted as it could help ease newer players into GvG.

It seems to me that what's necessary is a bigger player base. Things like this thread is a start of getting more people interested. It certainly sparks my attention.

Perhaps we could start a gofundme for a community funded GvG tournament?

Interesting. The question I'd have is how much money would it require to host a season/tournament?

From what I recall, there were many MANY discussions on how to make VoD work. The problem came down to the fact that [iQ]'s strategy against [EvIL] promoted the type of play that encouraged defensive games that ultimately turned the game into a PvE fest by healing and nuking creeps at 30 minutes.

I'd be interested in what the other options were. If I remember correctly, they gave us "Victory is Ours!", which still encourages this passive gameplay. There needed to be an incentive to playing proactively. To me, playing defensively for a portion of the game is fine, it's when you can ball and nuke the NPCs that we have a real issue on our hands.

I still don't know if a solution could have been reached without severely limiting team's ability to play defensively. Is the lord damage mechanic perfect? No, it isn't. But I would take it over what VoD evolved into any day. (And I sure as hell would take it over what GW2 competitive PvP matches are)

I'd start by testing a mechanic that allows AoE damage reduction for NPCs. How it exactly works could be tweaked to favor proactive play. An example might be: NPCs receive "X%" AoE damage reduction based on number of NPCs remaining at VoD and team morale. This would be my starting point and I'd move from there to attempt a fix.

On the other side of it, Could how NPCs scatter in EoTN be used to keep the NPCs from just blowing up to nukes?

If there was some way to monitor and ban players who abused the defensive strategy of healing and doing nothing until VoD, VoD was a great concept. The health decrease, the NPCs duking it out, Guild Lords waiting a few minutes to follow suite, the ability to be losing a match but pull off a Guild Lord gank to manage a win. All amazing concepts and strategies. I miss it. To bring that back and hope people play honorably is just not going to happen unfortunately. People have the chance to play fun builds and honorable builds, but you'll never be able to fully get rid of those who will die hard trying to win no matter how small the gain is.

VoD felt like something BIG was happening in the game and now it's just really lackluster. I'd love to be able to explore possible fixes for VoD. I'd be cool if we could get some traction and really discuss this topic with someone like Izzy(even though he's moved on to GW2).

I've never been a fan of fluxes. Perhaps it's because they don't do enough to induce build changes. Sadly, I doubt the active player base will increase without some form of major modification or tournament.

With that said, are you happy with the lord damage mechanic? Do you think the lord damage mechanic pushes players in a general build direction?

1) What is keeping you away from GvG? The lack of real teams playing. Even if we define 'real' as one player with henchmen or heroes(if allowed), The ability of syncers to dodge matches makes the ladder unplayable for those types of players.

2) What would encourage you to start playing or getting more involved in GvG/ATs/mATs? Skill balance changes(meta needs shifted from time to time), VoD (would require some adjustments), cash tournaments, heroes.