Posts by Jayson

So I initially didn't want to post anything here because I felt that everything that needed to be said was covered on various other sites, plus it felt like a downer after the upbeat cupcake event. Miss Price started out with a great explanation of the hows and whys of writing for the commander and I can honestly say I agreed with her. Everything that happened after, not so much. I decided that I would look into her history and see if there was any mention of other issues and it didn't take long to find them. Most already know what they are so I won't post them here.

One thing that did stand out for me though was an older interview she did with Nerdy but Flirty back in 2013.

https://nerdybutflirty.com/2013/09/28/int…izo-publishing/

To save people time, I'm highlighting one of the questions that really stood out to me, based on her response to it.

5.) What do you hate or wish you could change in the nerd community or gaming industry?

I think I’ve touched on it above, but in case it wasn’t explicit enough: I hate gatekeeping. I hate the idea that newcomers should have to prove some sort of level of knowledge or dedication before being welcomed to participate.

If you’re unfamiliar with something I love, GREAT. I get to share it with you. I get to experience the joy of discovering it for the first time again through you. I get to be a teacher. I get to be a native showing a visitor around a city I love. And there’s a chance you’ll love my city so much [that] you’ll decide to move there, and we can be neighbors, and maybe someday you’ll show me a part of it I didn’t know about, or build a new part of it for me to love. It’s hard to imagine anything better than that.

Every time I watch someone in games or fandom drive someone away because that person is a newbie, or didn’t sufficiently prove their fan cred, I watch an opportunity for that sort of joy and wonder and sharing die an untimely death.

I'm not going to say that this response applies exactly to the current situation and subsequent firing, but here she seems to endorse the idea that you don't need to know everything to participate and that she's open to the idea of teaching a person, then going as far as saying at some point, they may even teach her something in return. That to me, implies a willingness to an open dialogue. I wonder what changed?

I'm not one of the people who plays this game for wealth, so in explaining it a little more, I'm neutral on the idea. See my worthless trade thread in the sell section for proof of that, lol.

I think one of the other problems might be in what it is you're looking to acquire, and why you want to acquire them. From my understanding, the most valuable of items are from foreign copies of games, are items that were time sensitive like pre purchases and other things like magazine codes. It doesn't seem like there's a way to properly reset those. The only other things I can think of are rare items drops in game and that seems to be more of a farming/drop rate issue, not actually a time sensitive one.

Again, my familiarity of rare or hard to get items and is extremely low so I have to defer to more knowledgeable people.

I'm a little confused on the expected outcome for this request.

With the rampant botting that's taken place for the last several years, wouldn't a reset give those botters a massive advantage out of the gate? And correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make this new world worse than the one before?

I looked back through your posts and you're primarily a buyer/seller, so maybe you see something I don't. Would legitimately love to hear you expand on what you're looking for.

If only Lexx, if only... :)

I'd always hoped for the gates at the end of the northlands map, Frontier Gate/Eastern Frontier I believe, to become an outpost for lvl 20 players. A small pre searing recreation requiring 2/4 players with the same mobs and levels from the Langmar quests (Champions etc.). Never considered better loot though.

I realize that's just asking for too much and I prefer to be realistic, but imagining it is fun though! :P

So the cupcakes were delivered to Anet today and Bill Freist surprised us with an image of a storage update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/co…in_a_few_hours/

I'm happy/grateful for extra inventory space but my nitpick was with the appearance. I'm not sure if that's just for testing purposes, but it ruins the look of the inventory I'm used to. Picky, I know...

The one on the left is the original, the middle is the WIP, and the one on the right is cobbled together in PS to represent what I think the final product should look like. Am I alone on this?

Even though arenas don't have to be explored for map titles, it would've been nice if single players or groups could've just wandered around those zones to map. Could've placed a new NPC or use an existing one to access the arenas just like the WiK maps to Riverside, Divinity etc.

Looking to trade for a few birthday tonics.

Ones I have available

Keiran Thackery x2

Zhed Shadowhoof

Jora

Master of Whispers

Vekk x2

Hayda

Tonics I'm looking for

Livia

Olias

Ogden Stonehealer

Queen Salma

Razah

Shiro

I'm looking for straight trades only (tonic for tonic) please.

So the addition of the extra camera options has really opened up the beauty of this game and it's also showing me things that after 13 years, I'm only seeing now. East of Foibles near the fork in the river, there's a spot where lightning strikes the hillside. I would assume it's always been there but what was the reason for adding it at that place if you couldn't really see it all that well? Pulling out the camera also shows various areas of the map where it looked as if the devs had planned paths/routes through areas but later decided to close them off.

From a lore perspective, what possible reason could there be for lightning to continually strike the same area repeatedly?

If you were given the chance to get 3-4 more costumes or armor pieces what would they be? This isn't anyone asking for more items but a "what if" just for fun.

My choices would be - Ebon vanguard costume with helmet option

- Werewolf hands and feet ( digitigrade )

- Equipment pack back piece

-Arrow quiver back piece

That would be ideal but I imagine pathing isn't something they're going to look into. I had thought that stationing guards or shortening the walking routes would've also helped but again, more work.

The original creator needs to install lasers to zap anything in the way.

But to be honest, just let them troll and do something else. Eventually they'll get tired.

They did eventually get tired of doing it after about 11 hours or so I believe.

I logged in for an hour several times to help people across the gate for free. But the issue here isn't more that they'd tire from it, it was the fact that the trolling required no effort at all. They honestly only needed to be there for a few seconds every couple of hours.

So as I'm sure most are aware, there's a bot in Pre that helps people get through the gate into the Northlands. Apparently for at least the last 8 hours, a player has intentionally parked themselves in the way to block this bot to grief people. I know for a fact that it's not an accident because the person spoke to me and even when politely asked to move, they just put "Do not disturb" on and sat back down to continue trolling. Does anyone know of the person who created this bot, and is there a way to reset it to help people out?

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here.

EDIT: Decided to log back into the game and the person is still blocking the bot from helping anyone.... 5 hours later. I was informed that they've been doing this since this morning and refuse to stop, for whatever reason.

It's really nice to see the momentum for guild wars and I'll happily take whatever we can get.

That being said, would it be worthwhile to make a thread asking for small changes to the game? I'm not talking about added story content or anything that requires new models but something like a birthday tonic or mini pet maker in the same fashion as the costume and hat maker. I know that there's the worry about making duplicates to flood the market but I figured that the new NPC's could create non tradable versions of them. Perhaps destroying the original in the exchange.

Was the larger map capacity something people were asking for? Either way, it's just really nice to see GW getting any sort of love.

Also, it would be nice if we could get DrStephenCW to do a monthly posting here. I personally find reddit unappealing to post on.

Well you learn something new everyday. Love finding out stuff like that!

Regarding my question though, was I correct in my assumption about the higher resolution environment, pertaining to distance?

Update -- March 22, 2018 - Added a command line parameter “-lodfull” which forces the game to render using higher resolution models.

What exactly did this provide? I figured it was to improve the graphics of the characters, but then remembered we had that option in towns and outposts already. My guess was that we can see higher res details in the environment at greater distances but when taking a screenshot to compare, I didn't really notice a change. So anyone know exactly what the update was for specifically?

Thanks in advance.

I've been pretty inactive on GW as of late, but logging in here and finding this type of stuff still going on is so nice to see! My very first character was a WAMMO and still exists to this day even though he's mainly retired. I'll have to keep an eye out for future events like this.

Even though the odds of getting something like this are pretty much zero, would people want a Dhuum skeleton tonic? One that's usable in PvE missions? I know I would. I'd also gladly pay for a skeleton skin to have as an option for make overs. I'm surprised these were never a paid feature to begin with. Just thought I'd see what peoples thoughts on having something like that (knowing it won't happen :P) would be.

My first taste of Guild Wars was the E3 for Everyone back in 2004.

I'd played Blizzards RTS games so I was well aware of World of Warcraft, but what they were offering didn't suit my tastes. Plus I have an old school mentality about buying a game once and playing it, not buying it and paying to play it.

My then girlfriends younger brother had been talking about this new game called Guild Wars, so I gave it a try based on his comments about a one time purchase, streamlined play and not having bloated skill bars. Plus the visuals just seemed so far ahead of Blizzards efforts. I played through the entire event and was hooked.

I still remember getting to run through areas that weren't even populated yet, and having to go outside Ascalon City to do "trades" by dropping your items on the ground, hoping that the person wasn't going to scam you and run lol.

A really vivid memory was seeing the devs online in the city where they happily answered tons of players questions. Not only that, but getting to run through portions of the game with them was pretty cool too. It really felt like they wanted to be there and that was a huge deal to me. I bought the game on release and loaded it up as soon as I got back from vacation a short while later.

It seems you have a few of the same thoughts about the game that I have.

As the stories are progressing, it seems as if Arena net is trying to tie up anything from the past games. My guess is that they're working towards addressing these old characters and stories in an attempt to create their own original storylines, free from having to worry about a past connection. It's starting to feel like they would've been better off creating an entirely new product but instead, chose to piggyback off of the initial success of Guild Wars.

I'm also getting the impression that at the end of PoF, we're going to see a Nightfall 2.0. I believe that Rytlock will take the place of Balthazar as Kormir did for Abaddon, and Aurene will replace Kralkatorrik after Balthazar defeats the elder dragon to balance out the world once more.

Even though this is a GW forum, I'm sure at least some of you at some point in time, have followed along or read up on the GW2.

I've been following them since day one and a lot of it usually has me shaking my head. A lot of my issues stem from the blatant disregard of the established history. So has anyone else been keeping up with the storylines as of late? What are your thoughts?

"I'm really surprised at how slow/methodical/tactical the gameplay is in this. I thought I would wiz through it like Guild Wars 2. LOL, nope!"

I find this quite disheartening to see how low Guild Wars has sunk as a game based on posts like this. :(

The idea that people "whiz" through a game because of its lack of difficulty, where they push gem sales as content, where you read their GW2 forums posts where people are looking for more sparkly boots, just shows how this franchise will probably never recover.

At this point, it feels like that game is one of those online fashion/dress up F2P games your little sister used to play online that has micro transactions for new outfits.

oh, wait...

Bear in mind JC, this post in not directed at you in any way, but at the corner Arena Net has currently chosen to paint themselves into.

My offer for help still stands as well.