Any tips on skill hunting?

• I am now finishing my cartography title on my ranger and I will be going onward to skill hunter. Are there any tips on how to optimize these capping skill runs? Should I do it per profession or per area? How do you keep track on what skills you have and don't yet have. I can immagine that at some point when you are 87/90 for Tyrian Skills, you could get a bit confused to find which of the skills are you missing.

Thanks.

• Nowadays, most people do it through Elite tome use.

However, back to when I did it on my Sin', I made a spreadsheet with all the skills per campaign and per class with the easiest target giving each skill. That way I'd do one class at a time focusing on one area then moving to another area and so on.

ign: Teh Luvs Melandru

Making High Quality Cookies [亡囗囗大]

• For doing this with skill tomes requires you to have about 6 stacks of ectos available. I don't have that kind of wealth.

Even I wouldn't sink that amount of money into it since doing it fully by hand make you discover all over again the landscape and it's always fun to do, and you can do VQ while doing it so you can have 2 Elite skills at once

ign: Teh Luvs Melandru

Making High Quality Cookies [亡囗囗大]

• I would recommend getting atleast one of each elite tome. That way you can easily keep track of the elites you have, and those you don’t have. Simple by ”opening” the tome, and then closing it. In other words, without actually ”using” it.

• Even I wouldn't sink that amount of money into it since doing it fully by hand make you discover all over again the landscape and it's always fun to do, and you can do VQ while doing it so you can have 2 Elite skills at once

Yep. I just did the VQ runs, finishing my carto (1.2% left in Prophecies). But im somewhere at around 30% of skill hunter. So yeah, after vq and carto rediscovering areas is not as romantic as it sounds ;D

idjut I had a similar idea about the elite tomes. They can be a bit uncertain though. If you don't have the skill unlocked on your account, you don't know you are missing it :D

If anyone has a list of elite skills in google sheets or something, don't hold on to it, share it around.

• Yep. I just did the VQ runs, finishing my carto (1.2% left in Prophecies). But im somewhere at around 30% of skill hunter. So yeah, after vq and carto rediscovering areas is not as romantic as it sounds ;D

idjut I had a similar idea about the elite tomes. They can be a bit uncertain though. If you don't have the skill unlocked on your account, you don't know you are missing it :D

If anyone has a list of elite skills in google sheets or something, don't hold on to it, share it around.

Oh shit, yes that’s true. Didn’t think about that, I’ve had all skills unlocked for years now (humble brag obviously) :D

• Official Post

I am currently doing this on one of my accounts (which does not have all the elites unlocked...so the hard way).

I started with factions since it is the smallest area-wise, and then moved on to WiK bosses (good for a few if you have it unlocked).

By far the hardest, er, most annoying is prophecies due to the skills being IN missions (and some in areas that are difficult to get to)....for some of these I have been lucky to get a few tomes and unlocked the skill with balthazar points.

So I would make (or print) a list of the elite skills. Check off the ones you already have. If you have not finished some of the areas--check them to see if there is an elite you can cap while you are doing that (mission, quest, etc) Vanquishing while doing some of the elites caps does get some dual goals accomplished.

(I have done factions minus one boss-waiting for a tome, almost done with prophecies with elona not too far behind--I get bored of prophecies so I jump to nightfall for a break of scenery).

:mouse:where is the 'all you can eat' cookie bar? :cookie:

• The absolutely best took I had back in the day for the skill hunter title was a program called "Mapping out"

https://guildwars.fandom.com/wiki/MappingOut

It has offline maps of all 4 campaigns (including notes on missions) with map pins for each elite with wiki links to each skill and filters you can use for your character to remove already known skills from the list.

That makes planning skill hunts easy as you can look for areas with the most skills you need and filter out if there are 3 skills you can cap during one Vanquish (3 being the maximum number of skills you can cap in one run). You work on your VQ title at the same time as you are Capping in the most efficient way possible.

Edit: The other thing I did for skill hunting was to buy the exact number of capture signets I needed for every skill as soon as it was possible (ie when I had enough amount of Skill points and platinum for the skill trainers) . That way you wont end up with useless Cap signets at the end of your title and don't have to worry about buying signets later.