It's official. We're Discord Partners!

• [font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]After failing the first time round to qualify (because our community is considered too small), we've finally succeeded in getting approved by Discord for partner status! I sent them an email along with these two pictures that demonstrated why we needed it, and they agreed! http://imgur.com/a/rYmoU[/font]

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]So what do we get from the official Discord partnership?[/font]

• Human-readable link: https://discord.gg/gw
    • Dedicated VIP voice servers which should be more stable than the public ones
    • Custom splash screen
    • Some other cool stuff in the future

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Thank you everyone who have supported the project here. We'd definitely keep working on it.[/font]

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Here's briefly what this Discord is about:
    [/font]
    [/font]

• Over a thousand registered users
    • Place to chat, share builds, ask questions, help others, get into speed clears, and find/form parties for everything in the game
    • You can also trade, follow a real-time feed of the Kamadan trade chat, use the bot to do price checks, get info on the day's quests, and so on...
    • Discord is a free chat app designed for gamers, you can run it from the browser without installing anything, and voice chat is entirely optional (you can just type if you prefer). There are also android and iOS apps for it.

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]
    If you'd like to know more about the server and the custom server features there, you can check out the following links:
    Summary of features: https://guildwarslegacy.com/thread-610.html
    Detailed overview: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/co…y_search_price/
    To join this server, go to: https://discord.gg/gw
    [/font]

This is reposted from Reddit: [font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] Link to original post on Reddit.[/font]

Edited once, last by renebulous (February 18, 2017 at 6:37 AM).

• Well...
    So Discord is the same thing than Mumble+IRC ? Playing in a web browser, but not open source ?
    I ve got a mumble server, which i pay, means no adverstasing. An in which i can type message text, send links and manage, as i want. And i have a web brower which can open any web pages in the world.

Sorry if i'm an old donkey, but what the point ?
    What Discord have more than i already have ? (Ok, mumble dont work on Android and Ios, but who cares ? :) )

Rurick ! No !

• Yes, Discord is ultimately still just a text/voice chat platform. The only differences are those that you have mentioned and a few more.

Discord can be run off the web browser, and on mobile devices. There's no advertising and you can send text, upload images, and use voice chat.

The major differences are:

1. User base. If everyone's on one platform, that platform allows you to reach everyone.
    2. Free
    3. Easier to encourage others to join as everyone has a browser and internet connection
    4. You get our special server features on Discord. So things like price checking, getting daily quest info and countdowns, pinging your skill bar... These things can only be done on this server

• Like i say, i' m an old donkey... all the special features you mention, can be done from other manners. Pinging my skill bar to send it to my partners ? Can be done in game !

Sorry, i'm not fan of this kind of service...
    Free ? Nothing in the world is free. Facebook is free, but you pay with your personal data, so you are a product.
    I fear the same with discord (what a reaaaaally good choice of name !!!) The first dose is free, like heroin...

Soory, i will not join. But you can call me in game, when i'm in game ! (not sure i repond, because of my bad english :p )

Rurick ! No !

• You can PM others in-game or talk to people in local chat but you can't engage with a live community of over a thousand players anywhere else.

You can ping your skill bar in-game only to people you whisper, are in a team with, your guild or your alliance. On Discord you ping it to everyone and ask for suggestions.

If the use of anonymised metadata imposes a significant cost on you I will concede your point. But it doesn't, and Discord has said it doesn't sell user data to any third parties. In any case, Discord does not follow the Facebook business model and the comparison is unfounded.

That's fine, everyone has different preferences, have fun!

• I use to be a mIRC Administrator - Server and Channel... We helped a group that took over Paramount's chats. I can say that pure web-based hurt them the second time. I have moderated other servers and channels, even helped Administer a couple of TeamSpeak and Ventrillo Servers...
    I will say that there is a lacking for discord that I did like with Teamspeak, The ability to put images next to rooms, etc. I do like the ability to have an avatar, but It'd be cool to at least add an additional photo or two.
    There is advantage with Teamspeak, Ventrillo, and Discord that mirc never had nor will have - Voice! I don't know though if these have the commands that mirc had. The thing that made it (Mirc) special, to me, was the ability to code bots, etc. and have fun in the rooms. Yes, I learned Star Trek mIRC role play. :P I have turned the story from mirc style to readable and is published on my blog.

So, yea we can be picky in what we'd want, prefer, etc. Just not everything plays out like that.

The ability with Discord that the other two had , but didn't seem to do that well in - is the chatrooms. it's easier to type in them, they come with emotes, etc.
    It would be cool for soundpacks to be added, just like one could for the other voice chat ones.
    I have done video chat with Skype and I noticed this was available with Discord. That's helpful, but can Slow down things.
    I am not the only one that does use a mobile phone as a hot spot. We only have dsl available here and unfortunately, we owe a lot to them. Mostly, mobile phones (older ones especially) can cut out during a video call. It may be due to a number of things.
    While some new phones may work with data and the videos, etc... I sense the dilemma of unlimited verses limited in video calliing.
    Not to mention the potential of a disconnect, when using video...

I can say that weighing out all... Discord would be the best and could be better with optional treats like I have mentioned above.
    You can donate to Discord, if wanted. However, they may or might be self sustaning type.. I wouldn't be critial... I use to be, until trying out all of this, etc. I got to learn and It helps when others may need it. So, try it out - check it out. see what it's about and if you like it or not."

I think it'd be easier. saves typing for those who'd rather speak .;-)

:heart: By the light of the fire and the sparkle of the stars, you came to realize the meaning of true love. - Lori B. :rit: