• My fun from gw comes from build making, solo farming, and in the past speed clearing. Much like early concepts I treat gw much like card games of designing decks so to speak. I am very much a min/max person which when combined with farm build making that means I need very rare weapons. it is the min/max situation that got me collecting things like q7 swords, dual reduction shields, and all sorts of very odd stat combos in the search of the perfect farm known and unknown to me currently.

So to put it simply I collect to always have the correct item for strange farms I make that in some cases are only possible with very rare and specific items. As far as out of game collecting I haven't really collected much of anything for a long time although I have my comics from the 60s and 70s still and I would say I probably collect vintage and odd tools for metal/wood working I do as a hobby. I suppose the hundreds of computers and bins of parts I have in my home labs probably would count as a collection although its a hobby and used for work/self teaching.

I would say collecting in the game is more toxic in general than real life simply because people are held less accountable for scams. A high end painting for example carries a far bigger investment of the simple time to money conversion than the time to accumulate in game wealth to get a crystalline for example.

• Good thread, I would like to hear it too.

In my case was because I wanted to update the photos of the Guild Wiki of each weapon page, there are many that are in very very poor quality and resolution.

I started buying weapons only because the skin, for 1-3k, regardless the Q or rarity, to replace the old pictures with new ones with max. settings and the option of Anti-Aliasing 8X activated. Then at the beach of Great Temple of Balthazar (and using the GW Toolbox "/camera unlock" command) I took the photos with better light, better angles, zoom, etc, with the character facing the sun and inside the seashore to have the background in blue or white depending the color of the weapon (some fits better with the color of the water or the color of the sky/clouds, for example for the Ancient Daggers I used the sky background, because the blade is grey). Then in Photoshop I apply a Color Balance +10 in Blue to have the original color of the environment regardless the sunlight (in this case, at GToB). And then the Wiki.

From that moment, when I saw that I already had a long collection, I started collecting weapons for my daily use and personal storage, golds, greens, Q9's, etc. I checked all the galleries of weapons of the Guild Wiki to write a list of everything I wanted, and I started buying everything with patience. Some were farmed, others were bought and others were given to me for free, it has been a mix.

And the last set of weapons to finish everything was the Ancient ones, that I acquired yesterday finally. Since kid I have loved Egypt and the mysteries of ancient civilizations thanks to Stargate (1994) and Stargate SG-1 (1997), so every environment containing dust, sand, pyramids, ruins, deserts, wastelands, dry plants, temples, stones, grey skies, ruined buildings/constructions, archaic legends, old myths or stories, etc, etc, etc, they make me immerse myself in the history of the place and I want to know everything of it (that's the reason of Nightfall being my favorite game, regarding the wastelands and African landscapes). I also love the Elona Desert from Prophecies, it's a pity that ArenaNet never finished the Lonely Vigil or Glint Statues missions.

I still have many weapons in the Xunlai pending to update in the Wiki, I have to find the time, but I already updated 90 or so, so patience and step by step.

• I would say collecting in the game is more toxic in general than real life simply because people are held less accountable for scams. A high end painting for example carries a far bigger investment of the simple time to money conversion than the time to accumulate in game wealth to get a crystalline for example.

I think I understand what you re saying. Especially as person who came back around year ago without items on my account, inflation of prices makes purchasing rare items very time consuming/luck dependand. Also can you specify that scam part? Did you mean that some people can get very rare collectible item just by scamming someone while many ppl work years for that?[english isnt my 1st language so somtimes I dont get full meaning yet].

I really enjoyed reading the part of buying OS items for farming and that being inspiration. For me it is now similar as I found OS usefull with some double insc combination which is not possible with insc items and that did drive me to look for items I am right now !

And the last set of weapons to finish everything was the Ancient ones, that I acquired yesterday finally. Since kid I have loved Egypt and the mysteries of ancient civilizations thanks to Stargate (1994) and Stargate SG-1 (1997), so every environment containing dust, sand, pyramids, ruins, deserts, wastelands, dry plants, temples, stones, grey skies, ruined buildings/constructions, archaic legends, old myths or stories, etc, etc, etc, they make me immerse myself in the history of the place and I want to know everything of it (that's the reason of Nightfall being my favorite game, regarding the wastelands and African landscapes). I also love the Elona Desert from Prophecies, it's a pity that ArenaNet never finished the Lonely Vigil or Glint Statues missions.

Thank you for your comment, thats really nice inspiration. Do you collect other things related to ancient egypt?

In my case was because I wanted to update the photos of the Guild Wiki of each weapon page, there are many that are in very very poor quality and resolution.

Well done!

• Yo, So im still pritty new to collecting, only returned to the game this year, but for me it all started with 4 items. I wanted a q8 shield for pvp, i found a q8 gold SSS Spamadan. Then i thought to my self, "it would be super dope if i found a matching weapon". Luck was on my side, a few days later a q8 Summit Axe insc apeared on here. I placed my offer, recieved it a week later. I remember being super happy i got this set. 1 week later again, The same person who sold me the axe, listed a q8 Fiery Blade Axe, i droped a joke bid of 15e, i was super broke. 2 Weeks later i had forgotten about it completely, but i received a message ingame. He told me he also had a q7 Icy Blade Axe, 30e for the pair, and i was like... this is sooooo dope! I loved the look of them.

At this point... i was like "i wonder if i get get some more and get some other cool sets" I put "WTB low req inscriptables" in Spamadan chat, apart from having all the idiots try to sell me there q9s, 1 guy gave me a free q7 Gladius... and my collection had started.

So shout out to Fadam <3 Thanks for the axes, your the reason i started collecting low req inscriptables.

As for collecting outside of the game, Im a big lover of physical games, iv collected allot of retro games. To be more specific, boxed n64 games. Im actualy a graphic designer, and for me i love the retro box art. Some oldschool 3d models inspire me, i love to work in low poly. Really has no relation to me collecting in guilld wars :p

And the comunity hasnt been bad for collecting, theres allot of items people simply dont know the price of, so it comes down to the collector to create a market. This website has been super helpfull and taken some of the toxicity away from it, due to the fact i can search historys of what certain items may have sold for in the past. But as for ingame trading, i cant say i havnt come across some proper keyboard warriors trying to pawn there items for waaaaay to much. But hey i think you find that in every game, and in general this comunity, even more so for an older game is pritty friendly. People start to know and recognise each other, since the community isnt too large you start to see the same names again and again, and that tends to take away toxicity.

IGN: Snoop Snail (Not very active in game atm. Msg me here for trades!)
    --> WTB q3-8 Gold Inscriptables
    <--

Edited 3 times, last by Snoop Snail (December 6, 2020 at 7:22 PM).

• ardunain July 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “How Did You Become Collector?” to “Closed”.