Posts by Yakslapper

Thanks! Didn't check forum here in a long while so a bit slow in responding, but these are great tips.

Attributes are going to be Death and Curses, depending on what I'm doing, so a set for both is the ideal goal. Shame the two scepter skins are primary attrib only, those look sick!

Dead Sword is a great tip too, as is the Outcast Shield. Currently using a caster IDS but the dead sword is way better. Thanks a lot!

The classic answer would be Voltaic Spear as its dyeable areas are very visible. I use it on my necro (but dyed in white) and love it. Although, not very original. I associate it with a zodiac shield.

I like the serpent axe (tyrian version) and its inscribable version is cheap (not tested on necro).

On my monk, I'm using a darkwing defender (once again in white) with either a shinobi blade or a suntouched spear (in white).

I just like spears in general and find it useful on necro as you can auto-attack with barbs+mark of pain.

Celestial compass is also a popular choice.

Hey,

Thanks mate! Voltaic Spear looks like a good weapon choice, thanks.

I do like how Tyrian Serpent Axe looks dyed, and the green version looks particularly nice, so thanks for that one as well. Shield suggestions are good as well, darkwing does look nice dyed.

Celestial compass is a cool item, but for this char I'm thinking less subtle - it's a max size necro with obby spikes sticking out of him and a bright green mohawk after all. I think the main remaining challenge is a cool dyeable offhand for 40/40. Bleached skulls do dye, but look terrible in green. Haven't yet found many alternatives tho.

Hello,

After getting back in to Guild Wars in a big way recently, I'm working on pimping out some chars. In light of that, I'd like some advice, specifically on cool-looking caster weapons/offhands with visible dyeable areas. Specifically, they need to look good in green or a variant of green. Class is Necro.

Hit me with your best ideas!

Well for me the Luxons during Halcyon Quest is one of the best farm and THE rune farm you're looking for,

been doing that farm during one month 1h per day and i got something like : 15/20 sup domination, 10-15 Sup vigor, 20-30 prodigy insignia, 20-30 shaman insignia

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks a lot! Apparently did the quest on my 55, so gonna need to make a new ;(

Hello all,

After dusting off the old account for the first time in years, I'm getting back into GW. I've seen some tips on farming in 2020 in general, but I wanted to know if anyone has any specific tips for farming runes in 2020? Some of the important ones for gearing for pvp are well expensive nowadays, so I was wondering if it might not be easier to start farming them myself.

I used to do Kryta Ettins way back in the day, but I guess there are better options now. Any ideas?

Hello all,

Since this morning, I can't get past the login screen. I've opened a support ticket, but with ANet warning for "long support times" themselves on the website maybe this will help me out faster.

The error code I'm receiving is 249, which, unhelpfully, isn't listed on the page of frequent error codes. It's indicating a Network Error and asks me to check my internet connection. Internet works, that I'm sure. Firewall exceptions are in place for GW as well. Beyond that, I don't know what I can do at my end. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Yak

I like this. Thanks for qualifying some of your more hyperbolic statements, it gives me a better understanding of where you're coming from and I think we can find some common ground now.

I can live with most of what you said, there's just two things I'd like to add:

The first is that while I understand the exception you're trying to great for rare/rarely sold items, I still think there's a middle ground between "estimates that are plucked from thin air and wildly inaccurate" and "you'll just have to put it up for sale and see what the market says". I'll continue the real world high end art analogy, as I think it's the clearest parallel. I get what you say about PC being harder because there isn't an item like it sold every week, month or even year. But I still don't think no PC at all is the only alternative.

There isn't a Van Gogh sold every year or even every decade. That doesn't mean that Christie's or Sotheby's are just going to wing it when a seller contacts them saying they want to auction one. There is still an estimate to be made, however indicative. It could end up being off by a hundred million - that's a non-trivial margin of error. But I would still argue it's better than leaving the seller completely in the dark as to whether it's worth $5 or $350 mill. They'll look at past sales of Van Gogh's, however long ago they were. They'll adapt those for inflation and other changes in the market they're aware of. They'll judge where the painting fits within Van Gogh's body of work - whether it's at the top end or the lower end of his artistic output.

OS items aren't that different. The supply is finite - the artist is dead, the drop possibility has been removed. However rarely, similar items have been sold before. The same skin could be analogous to the artist. A Van Gogh is more desirable than a Seurat (sticking to post-impressionists) the way a chaos axe is more desirable than a cleaver. The market has changed since the last sales - more players have left, so there's less potential demand, but farming has continued and the amount of cash held by high-end traders has increased. The mods and the requirement tell you whether it's at the top end for that skin or whether you should expect less. A q7 15^50 is Sunflowers, a q8 12% enchanted is a pencil sketch. There is an estimate to be made, if you have the right factors to weigh.

That brings me to the second point. Maybe being in the trader bubble for so long has led to an underestimation of the information you have and others like me don't. I can't imagine that you look at a q8 perfect mod item in your storage and go "yeah, I have no idea what that's worth". You're not going to value it below a certain threshold, because you have information about the market analogous to the factors listed above. I don't have that information, but the PC forum gives me access to it, however flawed it may be. You wouldn't sell a Kuunavang for 100K like I did because you know more than I do. You might not have been able to price it to the last ecto, but you'd have been able to tell me the trade shouldn't have been in platinum. That information is useful. I can't stress this enough - for someone in my position, it is infinitely better than nothing. So give estimates, to the best of your ability and with all the qualifications about the accuracy of the information you like. Or don't. But at least leave space for those who want to do so, and for those who want to receive it.

That, I think, would be my main plea.

Fundamentally, what I don't like, is people that don't need the PC forum saying there shouldn't be a PC forum.

I could go into detail on how I disagree with PyroLobster that the only time value is ever determined is at point of sale. I could argue that even in his straightforward view that markets are the only "true" deciders of price, there is a market for assessors in a lot of industries, some of which are reasonably analogous to the Guild Wars high end market. If there is, as Pyrolobster hyperbolically claims, no way to gauge value until a sale, that all estimates until then are literally air in the wind, why do auction houses employ people to assess the value of items? Why do mortgage banks? Are they all completely irrational actors? Are they literally throwing their money away when they pay those people? I mean, yeah, I get that people like the straightforward view, but straightforward all-or-nothing interpretations rarely fully capture nuanced realities. Thinking beyond the PC forum here, the statement that "no price assessments before actual sale have any value" is almost ludicrous.

But that's an ideological discussion on how markets work, and I don't think it necessarily belongs here. And it's not the part that I personally find so hard to stomach. I consider it an unsophisticated view, almost irrational even, but I can handle people holding irrational views.

What does bother me personally, is that in the sweeping statements and the generalizations about the value of price checks, the PC forum itself has to go. It's not enough that some people think the assessments have no value, they feel the information shouldn't even be out there. And that's the part I don't get. To me, they have value. To the dozens of other people using the PC forum, I'm guessing they do too. Why does you thinking they don't mean they have to go? What's so threatening about people like me getting information that you consider to be worthless anyway?

I've seen a lot of aspersions cast about the intentions of people that give PCs. I've even seen them called a "nefarious agenda". What is that nefarious agenda, pray? If I get told my item is worth more than it is, cui bono? Cui plagalis? Who benefits? Who is penalized? I would argue that the inexperienced, uninformed, poorer player like me benefits, because he'll try to get more for his item. I'd argue that the wealthy trader/buyer is penalized, because he may have to overpay if he really wants the item. Fundamentally, to me, this discussion boils down to that. Either side can point to the other as having a nefarious agenda, because they are trying to favor one "against" the other. The traders/buyers want sellers to be completely in the dark. The PCers want sellers to increase costs for the buyers. Fine. The battle lines are drawn.

I know which side I'm on.

I'd like to throw a different perspective into this conversation, one that has been mentioned but not, as far as I can tell, heard: that of the returning, non-trader player. I played this game a lot from 2005 to 2009, but hadn't touched it in the best part of 11 years. I'm getting back into it the last couple of weeks (lockdown is boring), but I have no clue what the economy looks like (nor a number of other things, but that's off-topic here). I had to PC armbraces - that's how out of it I am. The fact a forum like the PC here exists helps. The fact that people bother to reply at all, regardless of whether their 'I wouldn't sell this for less than xx' are realistic or not, is a massive help.

I do not want to make this personal. I do notice that this has mostly turned into an intra-trader discussion, about whether or not scrubs like me should be a. lowballed, b. left completely in the dark or c. given unrealistic expectations. What I don't see is the traders posting here responding with the same zeal or passion to the numerous, numerous PC threads that have 0 or 1 response, not counting bumps. Correcting an inaccurate or exaggerated estimate directly in the thread, where the person holding the item actually is, is less of a priority than calling other traders out for inflating prices in a much more in-crowd conversation. I even see voices calling for closing the PC forum altogether - the traders already know what stuff is worth, and the scrubs will just have to commit to opening a sale thread to see what they can get.

To me, a returning player who genuinely needs help understanding how things are valued, any input is massively helpful. An experienced trader saying "you could get this" or "I wouldn't sell for less than this"? That's brilliant. Is that now how I value these items? Yes, absolutely. But you know what the key factor in that was? That nobody else said anything. If you disagree, add a second opinion. That's more information for me to base my decision on. I am convinced I will have a more realistic estimate based on ten people's input than one. But if all I'm left with is the one, who's overvaluing my items and making them harder to sell, I'll take it. Because it reinforces me as a returning player nonetheless. The level of gatekeeping I'm sensing behind literally not wanting people like me to even have this information is highly aggravating.

I never thought to consider what I read in the PC forums as unbiased scientific truth. They're opinions, and for the most part opinions of stakeholders, with all the biases that entails. But that is still so much better than nothing, and so much better than being left to "yeah, just go for it, put it up for sale, never mind your 11-year information gap on how the market behaved".

There was a reference to "the guy who thinks 10a is a lot" and goes for it "so he can finally get his first set of chaos gloves". I am that guy. I mostly played PvP back in the day, and never got very lucky with my Halls chest drops. I did some farming, but nothing dedicated. I have no stacks of ectos in the bank. I have one tormented weapon, the pride of my HoM. I bought my first set of Obby ever today, off the back of HA Weekend PvP sales that would've been impossible 11 years ago.

But I did hold on to some nice q8 items. And without someone pointing me to the PC forum here and getting even the most overblown estimate from the one person that did respond to one thread with a vaguely similar item at least gave me a vague ballpark figure. Before that, I wouldn't have known whether their value was expressed in armbraces, in ectos or even just in gold. So I'm going to thank that person for that, sincerely. And I respect him for it, so much more than the people who will take a look at the PC thread, who will PM their interest in my items, but who feel that me knowing what they could be worth is a privilege that isn't worth their time. But godforbid someone give me an estimate that's on the high side - that is unacceptable behaviour that needs to be called out immediately. Think it's a bad estimate? Fine, give me yours. And maybe, when I feel comfortable with the amount and the quality of the information I've received, I'll sell and you can add some more trophies to the cabinet.

[CLOSED]

Hey,

I'd like a price check on some uninscribables. Like many, I've dusted off the old Guild Wars account and come across some stuff in storage and on various chars.

As far as I can tell, all of them except the Shadow Blade are Pre-Nerf exclusive and perfect, if not necessarily with the most desirable mod.

And while I'm at it, I'm having some trouble getting an accurate sense of the going rate for Armbraces - estimates based on Kamadan chat fluctuate rather wildly, so if someone could just give me a general idea of what the current price is that would be great.

Thanks very much for your responses!