armor vs damage type and cap on armor// damage reduction

• Does anyone know the mechanics of armor and the cap of certain armor types? It appears to me that when I equip max anti lightning damage I am being only hit 7 dmg less than if I had 25 less armor in the suite. let me know please! Would love to hear from professionals :)

• Armor reduces damage by a percentage. For example +5AL cuts incoming damage by ~8%, +16AL cuts incoming damage by ~24%, +40AL cuts incoming damage by 50%. So the number of damage points additional armor will prevent depends on the size of the incoming packet.

There's no armor cap, either overall or for particular damage types. There is a +25AL limit on bonus armor (see links below), though if a single effect exceeds this it will work in full.

Armor rating - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

Armor calculation - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

The mechanics are well understood at this point so the wiki should cover anything you need to know if you really want to dig deep into this stuff. If you give some concrete info about where/what/how you're testing and it's not clear from the above links we can walk through the numbers.

d78dd1d.jpg

• read the above wiki articles, they are great.

to add to that:

lightning damage mostly comes from air magic spells and has 25 armor penetration. hence armor is less effective against it than it would against other damage types.

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier