Archive server maintenance

• Fun fact: the reason why the archive is such a hassle to host, it that it's about 1,013,509 files big.

On it's own, it's about 100GB big, but the main issue is the big amount of small files - a Linux server has an amount of files it can handle, and each file uses a "inode".

Since a server can only have so many indoes, it means that cheaper hosts are often out since we have too many files - if a webhost promotes unlimited disk space, they often have a limit on inodes.

Anyhows, this is just an insight I wanted to share while working on the server.

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

obey.jpg

• So, the archive is back up again!

If you wondered why this maintenance (which took way too long), was needed: it was mainly that the old server was running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - which is supported until April 2023, which is slowly coming closer.

It was also not running in the current stack that I prefer using (which contains Caddy), so it was high time to bring this server up to scratch with my other servers.

It's still not running 100%, but it can now be properly used again (with some layout faults, though, in same folders).

It now provides a search bar as well and should be a bit snappier than before.