Able to see stats of unidentified weapons before identifying?

• Is it possible, through some sort of bug or exploit, to find out the stats of an unidentified item before it's been identified?

I'm asking because I've been buying some unidentified purple items from people in presearing - quite large amounts. From most people I get at least something valuable, but this one particular person has sold me a lot of items, and they've all been crap. It could just be RNG, but I'm starting to get suspicious.

Any insight into this potential scam would be appreciated.

IGN: I Shall Defend

Vwa1T3I.png

• Items will provide their effects when equipped regardless of whether they're identified or not which allows them to be tested. For example, if you equip an unidentified sword and your max health goes up by 27 then then sword has a pommel of fortitude granting +27 health. This is a very obvious example; other things take a reasonable amount of effort, and some would likely take far more effort than they're worth. Items which cannot be equipped (eg armor items) cannot be tested. Regardless, do be aware of confirmation bias and such.

• I highly doubt the person selling you unids is 'scamming' you in any way. It's likely just bad luck. Even if the guy was testing them first by equipping them looking for health mods, I don't see how you can possibly think about calling this scamming. You want to buy unidentified purples and he or she sells them to you. You are getting what you asked for.

• basically the essentials have been said. I´d like to add little details as to how could be tested and what is worth the effort to do so:

proph/fac:

id all purples, all shields, foci, wands, q8 max items

test all martial weps out of town (while chestrunning) for -1HP reg, -1Ene reg, caster - if negative: sell, if positive: decide (for the -regen ones hit a foe to check if it´s zeal/vamp) sell as unid unless it´s easy to sell or high value (keep in mind -regen could also be 14% ones which would reduce value)

decide with staves - usually I id all q9 and all of rare skin

sell all other golds as unids

nf/eotn:

sell everything gold as unid (or if you care check for shield 45HPwE, 30HP, Vamp Scythe and HSR Foci)

id and merch any purples

just keep those that´d be worth somthing like q9 magmas etc - you get the point

presearing (my advice - I just don´t care enough to differentiate and rather just id everything):

way more difficult, but yes - there are mods worth 10a which justifies the effort maybe

id all foci

check all wands/staves for Ene mods and for HSR, HCT and +1attr mods (by using proper proff skills 10 times - by the skin you can tell proffession and for each proffession there´s just one valueable attr - so test this only) - HSR and +1 id, hct depending on attr

martial weps with high DMG go to lvl0s worms attack and note the number of the crit - you can calculate back the added percentage to the given base dmg and since there is no slaying mod that triggers on worms you can be sure it´s the inherent. if you are not satisfied - sell as unid (on an auction)

any other martial wep do the same on a charr mob - if there´s additional dmg check the worms - if there´s none: id, since you have a charr mod. if there is - check if different or same percentage (roughly - 10%tolerance) if different - again a charrmod, if not can sell unid

shields get yourself a charr axe mob and wait for executioners strike - if reduced dmg id, if not sell

note: difficult since you have to know the mechanics of how dmg is calculated, but once you got the hang of it, it´s straightforward - even though I doubt it´d be worth the effort, just saying it can be done ;D

And I highly doubt said person is really doing this, but some presortement that keeps items with higher chances for higher values is sure possible (e.g. keep all highDMG ones and just sell low DMG, or keep high HSR staves and sell low ones, keep all foci...) I mean that´s the obvious approach ;)

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• Thanks! That's very informative.

IGN: I Shall Defend

Vwa1T3I.png