Early bump prevention :D

• I accidentally bumped my thread too early even if I thought 24 hours had passed, I really don't know how it happened. It was 90 minutes from the 24h mark.

Which leads me to this post:

Would it be possible to add some kind of safe guard against it? A check that disables the post button if it was less than 24h since your last bump?

This could save mods some time as well. While it's not technically a necessary feature, I think it would still be appreciated by both mods and users :)

• I accidentally bumped my thread too early even if I thought 24 hours had passed, I really don't know how it happened. It was 90 minutes from the 24h mark.

Which leads me to this post:

Would it be possible to add some kind of safe guard against it? A check that disables the post button if it was less than 24h since your last bump?

This could save mods some time as well. While it's not technically a necessary feature, I think it would still be appreciated by both mods and users :)

Perhaps a bump button, that can’t be clicked unless 24h has passed? Would also make threads less cluttered with “bump-posts”, and relevant posts more visible.

• Official Post

We tried something like that on guru (very old forum software) and it only worked if no one else posts in the 24 hours between when the OP can post. If someone else posted (to bid) then it ceased to function. We are looking into seeing if there is a way (now) that this can be done. We have much newer (and better!) software than guru did (ok, that is not saying much since guru started in 2003....).

We have already added the resolve feature so that you can now basically say you are done with your thread by marking it resolved, this will keep you from having multiple threads active at the same time (another big Xunlai Market rule). Any thread marked as resolved will essentially be seen as no longer needed and closed by a moderator.

• I do hope 15 years of technology will help solve this problem :D

Edit: Anyway just want to make sure I wasn't ranting or complaining, I bumped my thread too early and that's just my fault.

I was just thinking if it was possible to find a solution that maybe help prevent it.

An alternative could simply be a dialog:

Code
    $warningTemplate = "";
    if ( time() - $user->lastPost < 24*60*60 ) {
      $warningTemplate = showBumpWarning()
    }

Well, my PHP sucks, I haven't done that in years, but it might just be an example :)

Edited once, last by Lexx (May 9, 2018 at 6:46 PM).

• Official Post

I do hope 15 years of technology will help solve this problem :D

Edit: Anyway just want to make sure I wasn't ranting or complaining, I bumped my thread too early and that's just my fault.

I was just thinking if it was possible to find a solution that maybe help prevent it.

An alternative could simply be a dialog:

Code
    $warningTemplate = "";
    if ( time() - $user->lastPost < 24*60*60 ) {
      $warningTemplate = showBumpWarning()
    }

Well, my PHP sucks, I haven't done that in years, but it might just be an example :)

I'm looking into it, I'm still studying the forum software it's extension system. Once I get the hang of it, I'll look into implementing a bump protection check.

It's not as simple as you state here, since we'd only have the check active in a single category - complicates it a little. But it's high on the list of priorities.

• It's not as simple as you state here, since we'd only have the check active in a single category - complicates it a little. But it's high on the list of priorities.

Haha yes,

if it was simple I know you would have done it already :D

But I guess you could try do simple tests in the background, alter the theme or maybe the "REPLY" button color.

I guess it's easier to alter something than to create a whole new dialog warning. A red "REPLY" button would still help.

At 1st. maybe all users see the red button, but the original poster would know the consequences of using it :D

• Official Post

Haha yes,

if it was simple I know you would have done it already :D

But I guess you could try do simple tests in the background, alter the theme or maybe the "REPLY" button color.

I guess it's easier to alter something than to create a whole new dialog warning. A red "REPLY" button would still help.

At 1st. maybe all users see the red button, but the original poster would know the consequences of using it :D

It would require just a slight bit less code to do that, I would still need to write the detection script so... :P

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

obey.jpg

• If I knew the code for displaying the forum thread I could probably help try figure it out.
    But the current solution I had in mind would still be a bit flawed, it would only work if the last reply was on the same page, not if the original poster's page was on the previous page.