The math behind shield inscriptions

• Hello!

I believe that quite a few of us on here could agree that shields are one of the most exciting aspects of this game. They’re beautiful, very useful, and sometimes very, very rare (and expensive).

But I feel like we don’t have enough info on the math behind the inscriptions on them. At least I haven’t been able to find anything on it.

So how much better are the -2^ench/stance inscriptions than the -5 20% ones?

Would I benefit more from a +10vs damage/creature type over the flat -2 reductions?

I mean the flat -2 reduction will reduce 100% of the incoming damage if the incoming damage is 2 right?

A +10 armor vs type is a % reduction, and wouldn’t reduce the 2 damage to 0 like the flat reduction would, correct me if I’m mistaken.

And if I am right, how much damage would I need to take before the +10 armor reduces more overall damage than the flat -2 does?

And here’s where the OS goodies comes in. You can’t replicate a -2 w/e with a +10vs damage/creature type with inscription shields since;

1. The reduction mods are all inscriptions, no handles

2. Armor vs creatures comes only in OS.

So in theory, the most damage reducing shield would be the -2 +10 armor shields right?

I need some input on this from people who knows the guild wars math and how the game calculates damage packages/reductions etc.

Hope to hear from more shield enthusiasts :)

Cheers

• Armor is % reduction I can confrim. Also from what I can tell you armor has a cap. U can't stack up armor infinite. ( maybe some can say where) exactly that is but for a benchmark Assassine/Ele with 70armor +10(insignia) + 8fromshield +10from inscr + ~80from earth armor is cap from what was told to me.

Also what is out there is duo reductionen Shields so u can go to armor cap with abilitys and then -2wE - 2wS for - 4 flat damage reduce on top of the armor cap.

Not to forget triple modded Shields ( but I think these are 2 inscr + 1 handle) and as u Said only inscr can do dmg reduce while handle provides Health.

IGN: Mr Clean Value

:!: Important: Please if i win an auction/or u want to sell me an item write me an PM so we can organize the Trade :!:

...................................................................( Thanks for understanding and appreciate the help <3 )......................................................................................................

"Keep it clean!" 🧽💦

WTB: x00g - Clean Value items - 360g Roundshield - 256g RAM-hammer - Waterwand with 20/20 Fire

• https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_rating

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_calculation

Here is all explained, but the best way to calculate it with your customized character is in a 1 vs 1 with another player and changing weapons to see the differences. In my case I prefer +10 (vs. Damage Type) or -5/20%, I don't like the -2^Stance/Ench (personal opinion).

Why do you like -5/20% vs -2(Stance/Enchantment)? The -2 is better assuming you can always keep your Stance/Enchantment up. Assuming you're using that modifier you'd most likely have a build that always has a Stance/Enchantment around.

• Why do you like -5/20% vs -2(Stance/Enchantment)? The -2 is better assuming you can always keep your Stance/Enchantment up. Assuming you're using that modifier you'd most likely have a build that always has a Stance/Enchantment around.

I use the shield occasionally with my Ele (very occasionally in PvE), and the -2 is practically nothing for my type of caster armor, it doesn't matter what enemy hit me because they will always damage me a lot, so I prefer having +20 extra armor to reach 90 (+10 of the shield itself and +10 of the inscription) or trying my luck with the -5. Both options without using a skill that gives armor, only using weapons I mean. Also sometimes I use a sword with armor +5 or +7.

• Ah, that makes sense Ostona. I was thinking more of PvE playstyle, particularly SF tanking/running where SF already has a -5 flat damage reduction for each assassin ench on you. You end up taking a lot of small damage around 0-10 each and was wondering what would be best, -2 or +10 armor for that.