Posts by notsteve

So after turning in last year's Elona Wayfarer's Reverie just now (yes, that works), I decided to try the other three.

I was working on the EOTN Wayfarer's quest and at first it was amazingly easy. Uh oh. When things go to well, I know something WILL screw up.

The quest has eight steps, each corresponding to a different location. Step seven is where things broke. Step seven is Bloodstone-something which eventually turned out to be the dungeon connected to Sparkfly Swamp. After a tedious walk from Gadd's encampment to the actual entrance to dungeon, I saw that I could not just walk in. Now, every other EOTN dungeon I've actually had to go to always had two choices. One: walk right in. You get a smaller floor plan and doors that won't open. Two: take a quest an get teleported to a dungeon that looks exactly the same but isn't: a bigger floor plan, doors that open and multiple levels. Sigh, so I took the quest. Once in the dungeon, no green dot nor arrow. Broken. Said "screw this" and logged out.

And, of course, important details were lacking from the wiki. Bah!

What esoteric magic is needed to actually complete step Seven of the EOTN Wayfarer's Reverie quest? Thanks in advance.

p.s. note: that character has already completed the EOTN main quest.

Well, I was talking about where one hasn't started to attack yet and one's ranger starts shooting.

p.s. I was mistaken on one thing in my original posts: one of my ranger heroes has a flatbow, not a long bow. that may make a difference.

As for attack vs. guard setting , I never change that on heroes.

Umm, a "real" private server wouldn't need one's regular account info. One would create a fresh account.

p.s. Used to play a lot of Jade Dynasty, so I know a lot about from private servers, at least from the player point of view. (Most JD PSs were legal: they bought the software from the same company that the "official" server did).

p.p.s. There are no GW private servers. Unlike every other MMO, ArenaNet has the source code for GW sewn up tight as a ... ;)

So I was traversing an explorable and was getting ready to attack a mob that was nearby, but outside of agro range. I noticed one of my ranger heroes creep ahead a bit ... and shoot! Welp, OK, I wasn't ready yet but battle is on so here we go.

Other times I say "I wish my ranger hero would pull, this is a perfect time,." and they don't.

Why do they pull sometimes and not others? Also, I begin to suspect that this one ranger hero pulls more than the other.

All of my ranger heroes on all characters use longbow, so I don't see how there could be any difference in their behavior.

Can someone clue me in please? Thank you.

Today my ranger & her pet cleared the temple out, solo. Changing the build was the solution. Using ignite arrows is amazing. I did not realize how much damage that does, and to multiple enemies at once! I feel dumb for not realizing that before! :p

Thank you, all, for the advice.

So I discovered an active Wayfarer's Reverie quest and, over roughly a week and a half, finished it. The quest reward NPC won't appear until late August, so I can't turn it in yet.

In the meantime I've been reading up on the Wayfarer's Reverie on the wiki, since I know nothing about it and don't even remember picking up that quest. So far I've learned that there are four quests, given during the actual Reverie in late August. Each of the four quests is repeatable, but can only be turned in once per account per year.

I am interested in doing the remaining three quests. My idea is to pick them up this year, then, at a pace dictated by real life circumstances, take a year to complete them and then turn them in *next* year.

My first question is, will the NPC this year accept and reward for a quest assigned *last* year?

My second question is, since the quest was picked up last year, can I instantly pick it up again to then finish it for *next* year?

Interesting. Much to think about. I've been asking in-game and am seeing a commonality of results: people are using very similar builds.

I've changed my build and have been testing it. Wow: boon of creation plus Signet of Spirits is like huge free energy recharge: the energy gain is *per spirit*! Suddenly that fifteen point hex attack skill is more usable!

Thank you.

I recently had to rework by Ritualist build. I'm bad at making builds and this was a build that someone made for me (because I'm bad at making builds) many years ago and cumulative changes in the game have made the build not as good as before. Too bad the dude that made that build went off to GW2. :(

Anyway, here's something I've worked out on my own, for general PVE usage.

Thanks to using Vampirism instead of the spirit skill that used Communing, I was able to do a 12-12, meaning everything was put into Spawning Power and Channeling Magic. Depending on the Secondary, the 8th slot can be used for a pet or a resurrect instead of the Ebon Vanguard skill.

So far it seems to work OK, although I think I'd like a self heal, possibly in place of Splinter Weapon.

Can anyone recommend improvements or point out non-obvious problems with the build?

Thank you.

Is there an area in the game that corresponds to the place displayed in the character selection screen? Seems to me they'd not want to waste an area, so I'd guess it must be in-game, probably with a different sky and lighting to make it look different, with the high part there the character stands being an inaccessible area during regular game play.

Thank you.

It's working as intended. Perhaps the description isn't clear - the effect occurs adjacent to where you were when you cast it. It's a point blank AoE, like Lava Font, not a ranged one like Fire Storm. You don't cast it at an enemy, you cast it wherever you are at the time.

Ohhhhhhh, I see. It's centered around my character, not the selected enemy. I'm a dope. Thank you.

Is it just me or does Symbol of Wrath (monk smiting skill) do absolutely nothing?

From the wiki:

Spell. For 5 seconds, foes adjacent to the location in which the spell was cast take 8...27...32 holy damage each second.

I cast and nothing ever seems to happen. Today I set up a situation to test it: to enemies right next to each other. I cast on enemy 1, then tabbed to enemy 2 to watch its health bar. its health did not go down at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you.

I've got a ranger, in pre, who is level 20. Things were going well until reaching level 20. Once the Fire Imp was no longer around, I realized how lame my ranger was. This was unexpected, since my Nightfall ranger does well. I can't even fight the first group of Charr in The Northlands without getting killed. I've got a pet, level 19, but it dies too.

I tried to use a vanguard quest to level the pet to 20. Got killed at the first group of the quest-specific higher-level mobs.

Is it possible for a pre ranger to not be so lame? Her secondary is Elementalist.

Thank you.

p.s. I miss the 'ol Fire Imp :(

I asked in Ascalon. One person said Elementalist or Warrior. So that's two votes for ele. He added that ele has Glyph Of Lesser Energy, which apparently can help a monk despite not having Energy Storage, and Firestorm. To hear Warrior as an option was unexpected. I was told something about axe and an area of effect skill. Much to think about.

How very strange. I've got Comcast, so not some mom & pop ISP. I guess there's nothing I can do about it. *shrug*.

Thank you very much for manually activating this account. :)

Hello everyone;

I just started a permanent pre searing monk. What is the best secondary profession for a monk ho wants to eventually do solo charr runs? Thanks in advance.

p.s. It is good that I am able to post without activating the email, since the forums fail to send the confirmation code email. So long as I can read and post I can learn to ignore the ever-present "Your email address is not activated yet. Confirm your email address." text.