Posts by Jonast

I had always understood it to be end chests after bosses that dropped the weird stuff but admittedly a purple drop coming from a beta locked chest is much more logical. But I didn’t play eotn beta, so I don’t know. Perhaps one of our more esteemed posters can help us out.

For the last one it is a farmed skin but perfect mods and mods that match a strength req well. I think 20a might be a bit high but 10-20a is not unreasonable.

1 and 3 are sort of similar and the reqs don’t match the stats well. If they had each others stats it would be better. I think you would sell both in the 20-40e range. The gothic will be the less valuable one but i wouldn’t merch it. I don’t think the echo is worth 80e due to being one off, a common skin and strength req with ench. Only perfect echo seem to go for big money.

2, put it up for sale and someone will buy it, it has a lot going for it (perfect mods, tactics) 10-20e feels about right.

-2wE - 2wS - 3wH - 5/20

Not to cover old ground but if my historical reading was correct dual reduction shields always had a stance mod due to it being in a separate class to the rest at some point in development. You would never see a -2wE -3wH for example as these mods are were always in the same class.

Many variants exist - I have seen -1wE/S on these shields before as well as -2wH and the old -3(10%) and variants thereof.

I think the above is correct, SSS and SWS do not drop in NM - the axe wielders do not wield these shields. So alas no low req caster shields!

That being said I can say for certain SSS do drop in northern shiverpeaks in HM. Not sure why that is though.

43065615%20pic.JPG

I know these q8 Glooms been discussed before here and everywhere.. but i think its worthy giving it another try if someone has idea where in earth these dropped from :D

I think this is the commonly accepted theory?

1. Dropped under the same weird conditions as other eotn oddities i.e beta dungeon chests, which dropped purple insc crystallines allegedly. Gloom shields are listed to drop from various dungeons.

Buuuut this would be more fun!

2. A good deed in eotn spawns lvl 20 smites and lvl 24 coldfires. Not sure these can drop from smites but they are the right level for r8. What level are locked chests in eotn NM? I thought they would be 600g chests which would rule them out.

It's done! After scraping Thunderhead Keep, Thirsty River and the Wilds yesterday I got to 99.9%. Logged into THK this morning, stepped outside into Ice Floe, and got 100% within 20 steps of scraping the wall outside the outpost! This also means that I have completed my HoM 50/50 which is something I never thought I'd do.

One final thing to do....

I’ll repost a bit from Reddit:

Hex removal for empathy and health degeneration to counter rider/Dryder regeneration in HM can make those fights much more winnable. Think illusion magic, suffering or even conditions as I don’t think any enemies have cleanse (won’t work on the riders but it’s the dryders you need to get rid of ASAP!). I got to the end with a far less meta team build on warrior.

An ineptitude Mesmer will make short work of the grasps of insanity, and you can take arcane conundrum too. I wouldn’t swap the panic for PI, the dryder/rider groups have a lot of HP too and panic will shut everything down for longer. That being said I didn’t use a single esurge so you could swap the final esurge out for it.

If you can squeeze some shutdown onto your own bar that can help to stop a rogue run-ending meteor shower during a bad aggro e.g exhausting assault. It tended to be these instances where I had real problems, I’d almost win the fight but then some damage would land from outside the ball, I’d have to refocus my mesmers and the rest of the group would start regenerating.

Party healing will help against the scythes of chaos. Another copy of protective was kaolai or a smiting monk with divine healing (and/or the duplicate) can help there. A smiter wouldn’t be horrible for adding SoH dps to yourself and smite hex for empathy!

- the elemental sword was one of the rarest items to get

I dropped one from a graven monolith doing the sunspear/lightbringer farm a week after they became common as muck due to eotn.

I’d still love to see a r8 one though - still could drop in kourna I believe.

On aegis/Sotw are you sure they dont drop from charr? I'm quite very sure i got q12 10charr/-3hex sotw/aegis drop from farming charr that i now use while farming charr.

Imo sotw/aegis are core drops, all these core skins with multiple names seem have bit different drop table depending on the name how ive noticed, some places only drop aegis, other only sotw and so on, but basically everywhere atleast one of either drop..

I think the answer to your question about the charr shield lies in whether anyone has seen a charr wielding this skin. Unless it dropped from a chest while farming charr? Personally I have not seen one wielded but I’ve not farmed nolani in any level of seriousness. I’ve done a fair bit of HM Ascalon though.

On the topic of sotw/aegis and Raven staves, there are clearly places where the drop tables differ (e.g kaineng will drop at least one of sotw/aegis, and jade brotherhood wield them, but will not yield Raven staves) but they are a similar calibre of item. I kind of consider dragon/bo staves to be the canthan equivalent of ravens.

What should be certain is sotw/aegis are not core items in the same way wooden/ornate bucklers are for example, rather existing in this special class of core with higher rarity and more specific loot tables.

Asking for an anonymous friend who collects aegis/sotw :p

Do they drop low req in shing jea (tengus nagas ?)

Pretty sure i dropped a q7-8 non max in maguuma but if any one has infos

I’m pretty sure these drop in the same places as Raven staves, which are shown to have dropped from weird places like maguuma. I had one out of a desert Griffin chest and I’m 99% sure they don’t drop from them. But they only drop from chests.

On shing jea I think the drop table is too limited and a bit weird (strength wooden bucklers).

well the skin is not rare at all.. most botted shield out there.. there are more perfect echos out there then any other skin. prove me wrong

This is an interesting claim but i can see the logic. It’s not rare because MTSC and pongmei chestrun. But it is nice hence the demand for it.

Value is defined by high supply and demand, but I guess the fourth wall might break if it becomes perceived as common - or maybe people just like this skin that much! Is this skin really that more common with perfect mods than the embossed aegis, which also drops in MQSC and pongmei?

Such a hard question! I started gw in December 2005 but actually completed factions first. I too had a euphoric experience getting through THK for the first time, but those Magho hydras put a hard stop on crossing perdition rock for a while.

My favourite campaign aaaah - my head says NF but my heart says factions. That was my magical time in gw, farming greens worth nothing now (jacquis aegis was hot stuff), getting wrecked by everything in kaineng, loving FA, meeting new characters at Vizunah square, the breath of fresh air when reaching pongmei valley…

I have a fondness for prophecies for obvious reasons but time has been less kind I think.

I actually think my favourite mission is actually in NF though, Dzagonur Bastion. It was my last one for legendary guardian, is genuinely hard without being annoying, and I also think has a fun and different design. I always felt it had real stakes in the plot too. I have pretty fond memories of late NF too.

I think there’s something to the above - think how there was only one known r8 colossal scimitar for so long, even though chests that dropped them existed from nf release. Obscure chests/mobs with a low drop rate. Even now with extensive farming I think only another 3 have been dropped afaik, 2 of those quite recently. Perhaps a resident expert can confirm if my own knowledge is lacking here.

Thanks Unholy

Well great - an interesting question with a boring answer! So they drop from kaineng ‘classic’, vermin and temple guardian celestial, echovald generic, jade sea generic, forbidden chests.

That leaves things like Oni, warden, outcast, naga, kaineng mantid. These are variants of the above. I guess the question I’m asking here is are there chests to avoid if you want to increase your odds.

What is also clear from certain extreme cases of chest running - the rheas crater outcast run - is that some chests only drop in purple for some items. Purple lantern drops doesn’t equal gold ones.

I can also vouch for dragon mosses dropping these. But it’s probably the area I have farmed the most since 2006 and I have seen ONE drop. Like OP I didn’t believe they could drop until it happened.

I guess it’s true that they drop from any ele foe. So the best place to farm the is ele enemies with an otherwise limited drop pool. Temple guardians seem like a good choice, I’ve had my fair share of jugs and paper fans from mantids which have a similar drop pool (celestial plus necro and monk stuff and that’s pretty much it - obv no eles here so no lanterns but I think the logic follows). I guess kappas follow the same logic?

Anywhere that drops armors or more varied skins (dragon moss drop gothic skins, amber skins and echovald unique skins plus ele stuff) will then surely decrease your chances.

Unholy Interested to see the chest drops with no ele foes around, no doubt it’s true. But do the foe groups have eles in their creature type? I can see a lantern dropping from jade brotherhood chest even if no mages, but not from an am fah chest (as no eles outside of WoC and Chung the attuned). Or do all human ‘kaineng’ enemies just have the same chest drop pool. Indeed, it is a head scramble.

Really? So a fast casting req effigy can’t have 20 HCT death magic? Played the game for so long and still new information, genuinely surprised there is a distinction between primary req and all req as well as the profession unique req stuff.

Gw loot system keeps on giving