Posts by Jonast

I am sure some dreams (mine included) came true when we all saw the one and only Straw Effigy q9 FC 20/20 Dom. Some may know that I love the Wayward Wand and I just want to see a q9 Dom 20/20. After seeing this, I can die in peace.

For all that forgot about the Straw Effigy:

I still think it’s crazy that there are (at least) two r9 20/20 effigies in the game, the other being curses, give they are universal foci. Maybe the dream of a matching wayward isn’t so ridiculous.

Is there a r9 20/20 universal wand? I’m aware of a r10 20/20 prot platinum wand but no celestials, ambers, jades or waywards. That 20/19 r9 death amber on sale atm is closest I’ve seen.

That curses undead gloom is hawt. A shield worthy of grenth himself.

Have covered the prenerf exceptions to creature stuff here including the undead only in UW/FoW:

(Page 16)

Oh that is super weird. There is no logic. Why not keep plants in fow? There are frikkin plants there! Gw1 equipment system is a mess but look at what is has created.

The reason I like the air/tengu combo is that tengu are weak to lightning damage. Fire/plants or smiting/undead would be good combos too 🙂

Interesting that only undead drops in uw/fow. An odd distinction to make. Where these areas there at release?

I knew this already, but weird that tengu doesn’t drop in Cantha. I wonder why they reduced the numbers so drastically in factions, despite adding demons pretty much only for Oni. Naga or dredge would have been pretty low hanging fruit.

Anyway thanks all, you have answered my questions! I shall wish for that elusive +1 fire +10 vs charr magmas or +1 air vs tengu shield or focus…

Thanks all - it was my perception that only a couple of these mods were useful, when actually it seems that only a couple of them are actually useless.

Are these mods more common drops in factions? My gut feeling is that they are. And what drops where? Are anti charr shields more likely to drop from charr?

Kind of interesting these mods never made it onto green weapons apart from in DOA.

I’ve seen a fair few pcs and wts threads with creature armor mods, and certainly the shields seem very popular. I think we can all agree they are pretty cool.

Obviously demon shields are useful for DOA. Undead shields for SoO and FoW presumably. And the big kicker here is that they don’t drop on insc shields. But giants/ogres for example, can still fetch 10a plus with a good skin. Dwarves and charr as well, perhaps even more than this. Dragons seems utterly useless to me, but will still fetch a decent amount. Just interested in where the market for these other creatures comes from - is it just collections, or are these actually useful?

Also for a caster, would a focus these mods be better, or is the +8 from the shield better than the +12 energy. Given you can sneak in a 20% HCT or HSR if you’re lucky. Are these underappreciated?

Sort of agree with above, stance is less desirable with tactics, but this is another case of a nice skin only dropping with a specific req. If someone wants the skin they are going to play tactics to use it - this isn’t going to fill a caster shield hole, even -2ench +30 is sub optimal for that, where req attribute is often more of an aesthetics thing and you want a +45hp ench mod in most cases.

I’d go for 60a-70a but depends a lot on interest as ardiunain says. I don’t think it’s that much less than a -5(20%) modded one, and I think the -2 ench sale was overvalued. with respect to comparable skins that drop in strength (magmas, outcast) that would go for coo coo bananas money XXXa with these mods, for me this seems fair.

If Luxon chests do drop them then that would be the source of the r8s of yesteryear in all likelihood: but like I say above I thought this was debunked as an assumption based on the way the skin looks. The nagas in jade sea wield all sorts of canthan swords but I have never seen them with a sunqua for example.

R7 never dropped from 600g canthan chests tho - those must be from kaineng or shing jea unless I have my facts wrong here. Like r7 outcast shields don’t exist, right?

I’m quite interested in all these drop table change suggestions, I literally thought it was one mob type = one drop table. There are some weird exceptions (e.g getting an SSS is possible in northern shiverpeaks HM, but not SWS?), but I think north and south stone summit are considered different groups (level and skills are different). Perhaps the same is true of bukdek byway vs pongmei valley jade brotherhood, but in this case the npcs are the same level and have the same skills. The chests are even the same type. A weird distinction if true. Afflicted in echovald don’t drop amber weapons, do they?

I sooort of don’t think it’s jade brotherhood and am fah - just a feeling really. I just think I would have seen a white one drop in all my time playing, or one in the hand of a jade brotherhood warrior (they wield swords occasionally). The am fah warrior boss does drop a sunqua blade green, but the sskai’s sword is a wicked blade, which drops in echovald, so the logic follows that this is irrelevant.

This xaquang skyway mantids idea might have merit if we can prove they don’t drop celestial weapons.

I agree it would be weird to change drop tables - although things like resto req staves got removed somewhere after factions release so not unprecedented.

Also, it’s quite clear from the rheas crater chest data that not all skins that drop from a chest can drop in gold. So I get what you’re saying about afflicted, just because they drop white sunquas doesn’t mean they drop gold.

Yeah Bokku is definite possibility, and in all likelihood did drop at least one, but it would still be disgustingly rare. Maybe Pleikki can help us to understand how many r7/r8 sunquas there are, roughly.

Mantids, yetis, naga all exist on the mainland - my last vague recollection was that someone said sunquas could drop in luxon areas but I thought that had been debunked by now. Certainly the idea that a sunqua will fall out of pongmei is proven to be a ridiculous assertion given how many chest runs happen there.

Did the OS HoH chest drop canthan skins?

Where do canthan crude axes drop outside shing jea? I defo associate them with the noob island, if the do drop on the mainland perhaps sunquas drop there too.

Agree on the demon shield, +9 is a killer - the skin is okay but I wouldn’t hold out for more than 5e on that. A hard sell at r13 too. If you ever intend to do DOA just keep it, it’s practical value outweighs its monetary value.

Not sure on the amber, 5a seems about right to me (good req, useful mods as said above, decent skin)

The echovald is a weird one, not sure it’s useful in any way. I don’t think this is worth more than 15e, (skin liked but common, r12) but get more opinions.

The naga on the little island is lvl 16; baozo Mesmer boss is also 16; miki is lvl 14.

Only lvl 18 foes anywhere on noob island are yijo and the afflicted kana, right at the end of a mission no less.

Not saying you’re wrong but only dropping from 2 enemies in the game is a whole new level of rare!

Edit: the Bog Beast of Bokku is level 17, so there are 3 foes that could have dropped r7 or r8 max sunqua blades on shing jea. I guess these 3 enemies will have been killed a fair amount back in 2006, so a very small number of the isn’t impossible. I still feel there’s more to this though.

Afaik Kaineng mantids have the celestial drop set, which doesn’t include sunqua blades - correct me if I’m wrong. To me it would be strange to differentiate between the wajjun bazaar and xaquang skyway mantids, but maybe we just have to prove this out.

Could vizunah square be the place? That contains shing jea afflicted, which do drop sunqua blades, and iirc those afflicted drop the lower level collectibles not putrid cysts? If a canthan chest can spawn off them, then you would get gold max dmg sunquas there? Those chests would be lvl20. R8 and r7 sunquas were pretty rare in comparison to other canthan swords, and everyone in the game has passed through this mission, so the idea that these drop from an obscure mob/chest combination in a common area isn’t ridiculous to me.

Since r7 exist it has to be somewhere in kaineng, barring a drop of extreme rarity from a lvl18 boss on shing jea. R7 never dropped in jade sea or echovald I think.

Do sunquas drop from forbidden chests? If so the other place would be sunjiang, which presumably dropped the r7 gpbs

This is the main contrast to most other MMO's. You can always come back to it and find something meaningful to progress towards.

I fully get your perspective - gw1 isn’t the game you really want to play because it doesn’t suit your view of long term progression. I think everyone here gets that your comments aren’t a criticism of the game per se. Many of us have the reverse perspective of other MMOs which is shown in our comments. I certainly don’t hate gw2 for example, and would like to enjoy it, but I find it very hard to come back to - raids, fractals seem locked behind having to get a new gearset. The latest open world stuff requires me to rush through the story to get to the latest money making farm, to fund this. These things appeal to some people, but not to me and it would seem most of the commenters here.

I’ll offer a response to the above quote though. Gw1 for me has always been a slow burn. Working towards legendary vq, legendary guardian, were meaningful things that took a couple of years of quitting and coming back to get to. I have 99% tyrian cartographer despite being at 95% in 2007. I only did WoC and WiK on my main a couple of years ago. I spent 7 months trying to do rescue at minister chos HM without consumables or stones (I did succeed, with warriors cunning and way of the fox on my bar no less. I also got to the last group with flourish on my bar and failed LOL). The point being I haven’t rushed anything, so there was never a void of content that needed to be filled by a gear treadmill. Just playing the game was enough between the times I spent doing titles. So in a sense I did always have something meaningful to come back to; challenging content of old stories I enjoyed, and new stories I hadn’t played when they first came out.

R12 strength on a caster shield and 1 off hp hurt a lot. I think I would merch this personally.

That being said if you put it up for sale for a week someone may buy for 5e or maybe a little more, if they like the skin and want a monk shield. Sure, there are much nicer ones around, but it might tick enough boxes for someone.

This thread is an echo chamber really, and I can only contribute to said echoes! most people here will have played for so many years because participating in content wasn’t hidden behind this sort of progression.

Apologies if this just a repeat of the above…

The only other MMO I have played is gw2. Things started to go wrong there when I had to grind for hours just to get the stat set I wanted for a build, doing really banal collection of resources, just to play. In contrast it’s easy to get a new char to max level, with max gear in gw1. Then the only progression requirement is to get to the outpost where your chosen content takes place - you can either get a run, or you can play the game through. Like do fighting and quests and stuff, play the story. Maybe get a nice drop along the way. But then you have experienced how to play the profession, levelled up and geared your heroes, and unlocked the map - pretty serious improvements for a character. Comparing my main’s heroes during my first vanquish compared to my last on the way to legendary vq, a huge amount of progression and power increase too place through hero composition changes, build editing, and learning new tactics happened along the way without ever having to increase my armor or weapon values. In this regard making a new character and progressing them is a subtly much more serious endeavour that just levelling to 20. Of course progression like this will trail off after 7k hours, but I reckon a good few hundred can be taken over this process playing in an average way.

Other progression is optional and largely cosmetic, but it’s something you can tackle organically over time without the fear of obsolescence.

I have 4.5k hours in this game, and remarkably few of them have been doing repetitive nonsense just so I can experiment with a new build.

I also kind of like the fact I can still get my ass handed to me on my main by 4-man area VQs or 6-man missions periodically if my build/team selection isn’t great, or I make a bad pull or don’t know the area patrols too well, in the knowledge I can swap things around without having to grind out a new set of gear to make me ‘more powerful’.

Certainly no more than the above - good ones aren’t common but these are chest run regularly.

Personally I think 20e max, r10 and 3 off hurts a lot, although -2 stance and a hp mod make this useful and potentially wieldable by a player that likes the skin.

I can see someone picking this up for a 20e or more.

It’s not particularly useful but it’s a matching attribute with r9 and a nice skin. Second mod is a bit of a killer though. A hp mod would be much better.

Get more opinions, or put up for auction and see what happens. It’s a bit of an oddity so hard to value.

I have a magmas with these exact mods, which was valued a while ago at approx. 20a.

I’m gonna say <10a. I think between the r11 and the fact it is a less desired and slightly more common than a magmas, but has the same issue that it cannot drop with a tactics req, this would be fair.

I’ve had 4 to date, incl. the above pair. My 3rd didn’t drop until WiK (4 years later!!!) from a white mantle on the Falken run in watchtower coast (jewelled chalice +41hp ench single mod). My last was a r8 divine symbol from salt flats chest - the only time I have actively farmed for r8s! - with single mod 19% HSR smite.

Tombs, second level, second room, grasp of insanity, r8 15ench battlepick.

My second was in Teinai’s room in tahnnakai temple, r8 15 -5e plagueborn maul from an afflicted warrior.

I’d salvage the mods off the shield and merch the weapons.

Check out this thread for some further info 🙂

S7ewie
    April 2, 2021 at 9:59 AM

Hard to put an exact number on this but I would say 5a-10a. Nice clean gold value for those that care about such things.

Another one of these things that could go higher with interest. Current there is an amber aegis with fire/-5(20%) which is sitting at 100e, and your shield has a better skin, better dmg reduction mod, and a comparable quality attribute.

Agree with above. For silly money with a strength req you want stance or unconditional mods, but matching enchanted mods are also great! I think with perfect mods this could be a lot more than 100a.

Imperfect HP Mods will reduce value by 50% plus depending on the level of imperfection.

For r8 even dumb combinations like armor vs creature and a condition duration reduction will have interest. I can see 1-5a+ even with essentially useless but perfect mods.

The only way this becomes worthless is if it’s a single mod IMO. Fingers crossed you get 2 mods!