Post Your Favorite Chest Run

• Edit: Marty provided the link to a page of the old Chestrunners Thread. I pulled the maps from some posts and made an album on imgur. Most are from a post by Glorg from 2012. He saved them from other earlier posts in the thread. They are still available on noelshack.com in his post but I decided saving them and posting them elsewhere too might be wise. Many of the maps are in French, some are in English, you can probably figure out where they are just by how the area looks.

-------------------ORIGINAL POST BELOW--------------------

I don't know if anyone will like the topic but here goes...

Mine is in Raisu Palace (explorable) leaving from Imperial Sanctum. I do it in NM and HM. Drops include Forbidden Staves, Oni Weapons, and best of all NO salvageable armor drops. I guess maybe Shiroken don't wear pants. Map shows my usual route, it does change depending on where chests are. The green dots are possible chest locations in range of the marked route that you can see by holding the alt key in game. (I may have missed a couple dots)

4j0pi8.jpg

ꚛꚙꚛ Ouch My Assassin | Raise R Bladez ꚛꚙꚛ

Edited 2 times, last by Looney (August 5, 2023 at 1:43 AM).

• Emma: Hells is a good one, it does indeed keep things interesting :D

masahiro123: By 'Granite' I'm assuming you mean through Tasca's / Mineral Springs. Do you do it for Summit weapons or with Defend Droknar's Forge active for possible Magmas drops? (or both)

• Hello again fellow chest runners,

I decided to post another zone I enjoy running in. I like Gyala Hatchery (explorable) for a couple reasons. It has a very good variation of foes, and therefore a good variation of chest loot. It is also relatively easy to run in in both NM and HM, except the 'maze' on the east side which the map ignores, due to there usually being a somewhat clear path between patrols. The most annoying part about the zone is disenchants and stance removal, mostly by the Creeping Carp. The Outcast in the zone are not too bad however their warriors carry a group IMS, the elite skill "Charge!", so they tend to chase you for a while.

On the map I color coded most chest locations as to what items other than plain Jade Sea drops they can have. In the fishy and Outcast areas where there is quite a large # of possible locations so I didn't mark them. I probably missed a few possible Naga chest spots as well. Also, since the Outcast and fishy patrols overlap it is sometimes hard to tell which group the chest is 'bound' to. The same is true along where fish overlap Naga and also the 3 northernmost Oni chests with nearby Naga groups.

Orange = Outcast
    Aqua = Fish / Leviathans
    Blue = Naga
    Hot Pink = Oni
    Lime = Plain Jade Sea only

The aqua area that is highlighted contains the highest concentration of fish and therefore the best chance for Jellyfish Wands in the zone, most of the Creeping Carp are there. The rest of the aqua areas mostly contain Leviathans which don't drop Jellyfish Wands, there are a few Irukandji and Scuttle Fish so it is still possible to get one. Outcast chests have the possibility of Outcast Staves/Shields. Naga chests have a chance of Naga Bows. Honestly, there is too much to list as nearly every possible Jade Sea drop can drop somewhere in Gyala, with the exclusion of Deep only drops.

o0uhrc.jpg

(BTW, I'm partially colorblind in case you can't tell by my color choices lol)

• I was hopıng some ppl would post maps too. I could do another one for tasca's but my route ıs pretty much a bıg cırcle ;)

Idk where else to post a map of, Raısu ıs my favorıte and Gayala ıs almost as braınless as Fu.. ı mean Pogmeı.

(Help, someone stole the dots from my "ı"s)

• I #$% ING hate loot scaling and the anti-farm code. 'Doesn't effect rare drops' my ASSassin!

Looney,

Perhaps it is an idea to post all the chest runs with maps in the first post for easy findingz :D :D Thanks Marty for posting the link :D

All the maps I could find in the whole chestrunners thread are in an imgur album linked in the first post now. There is also a link to a .zip archive file on my google drive of them if you cba to visit imgur.

@Kairi, I think a couple maps may have been posted by you, hope you don't mind me trying to save them from the ashes.

Edited once, last by Looney (June 30, 2017 at 5:14 PM).

• I #$% ING hate loot scaling and the anti-farm code. 'Doesn't effect rare drops' my ASSassin!

All the maps I could find in the whole chestrunners thread are in an imgur album linked in the first post now. There is also a link to a .zip archive file on my google drive of them if you cba to visit imgur.

@Kairi, I think a couple maps may have been posted by you, hope you don't mind me trying to save them from the ashes.

We should have a downgrade to before loot scalling
    #makeguildwarsgreatagain

And yeah thats totally fine. It fills me with joy to see my work helping people! :D
    Also I am pro chest runner.

• Idk about 'profitable' it all depends on luck. Your luck retaining picks and your luck with drops. Nomal mode is definitly not profitable imo, hard mode is less not profitable due to elite tomes. Honestly, I don't really keep track of my cost of picks vs. cash made from drops. I don't sell my crap unids to improve my income, I id everything and salvage most junk drops if it salvages into mats I use for other things. I usually chest run in hopes of getting that rare item that makes it seem worth it. Most stuff I have/use on my characters was dropped to me, I have traded for some stuff but it's a small % of what I have.

http://archive.guildwarslegacy.com/15/15%20The%20…%20Run.003.html

There is some math on it in that thread... just change the 3 on the end to 4 thru 7 to see the rest.

Just today I broke 10 picks running chests for a few minutes but got 2 superior vigor runes, random luck is random like that (Halcyon Job, lux sin chests). Most times you probably won't make money but there is always a chance at a string of good luck.

• Chestrun can be profitable, especially when you sell unids that can only be crap (thinking of high req hammer/bow that aren't worth anything even with dualvamp) and if you sell the id and get the item back for the rest. With Elite Tomes and all the possible good stuff you can get from Factions chestruns, most of them are probably profitable. :)
    Ofc try to get lockpicks for 1.2-1.25k/ea, don't buy keys from merchant.
    Know the good runes to keep (I don't think there's any good purple rune besides Vigor, but there are a few +3 worth something)

Arkon : Pongmei 5 mins ? T'es lent bébé :p

• I agree with Vizi, most often on Factions runs I'm pretty sure I'm usually not losing $. If I am it's due to how I don't sell unids since I really don't have space to store them to sell. Yesterday was decent I think all told I ran 50-60 HM chests and had decent luck retaining, only 22 broken picks. Final tally of drops was 2 superior vigors which I kept since some of my heros still need them, ~18k made from selling other runes to traders, a q9 15^50 mammoth axe which some characters koss will probably get and 2 elite tomes (1 necro, 1 rit).

Runs like outside Boreal Station idk how profitable they are, the skins mostly suck so you are stuck praying for max mods that are also wanted mods or elite tomes. About the best weapons you can hope for are draconic or ornate spears, bramble bows or dolyak prods. There are a few others but too but most of the weapon drops aren't really worth your time. The only time I even bother running there is if I need mods or inscriptions because I try to avoid kamadan as much as possible.

On a different note,

What is everyones biggest pet peeve about chestrunning?

Mine is getting a reg mesmer tome from a chest and breaking the pick.
    Worst drop imo + broken pick = annoyed Looney :@

• Official Post

yeah, there are a few places that the drops are pretty bad--boreal is one of them (did some chests while working on leg. survivor there), and gotta say, I dont think I kept anything that dropped from one of those.
    I think there are a few worse drops than a mes tome (I still have a few mes' that havent gotten all the skills so I can still use those)...some of the armor drops are pretty bad--like when you get only an inscription (that even the rune trader doesnt want).
    I think my luck is still my worst peeve---opening 10 chests in a roll, breaking all the picks and all grapes (my lady monk no longer opens chest for that reason).

• Yes, 8/16 shields, q8 max swords and q8 max focii can possibly drop in crystal desert from elonian chests and possibly also the highest level maguuma areas. As far as odds of getting a good one, its a pretty low chance. HM is probably more profitable especially since elite tomes sell for a good price.

Look at https://guildwarslegacy.com/thread-1052.html it discusses it a little.

Edited once, last by Looney (July 28, 2017 at 10:47 PM).

• The problem with shing jea chest running is there is only a couple chests per zone so pretty much every run is kinda underwhelming.

One I do is start at ran misu and head thru crimson skull along eastern edge. Zone into panjang and head over along the west coast thru the naga. Then head thru the crimson skull along the south edge into the cave. After the cave head back along the north edge back to kinya and go thru the crimson skull again. Zone at the door into sunqua and back to kinya. Head back thru crimson for another lap.

Its a long route but passes close enough to see many possible chest spawn points...

Only problem is that any zone on shing jea island only has 2 (maybe 3) chests.

Be prepared for possible cranial damage as your head smacks your keyboard after falling asleep from boredom.

• Yeah best shing jea run ive managed find is from shing jea monastery to sunqua vale looking 1st few mantid groups front of monastery and going to Cave on right side. the run helds 0-2 chests, its quite quick 1-2min run but its frustrating when u get few 0 chest runs in row.

• Has anybody had any luck running Ministry of Purity chests? I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it seems to me like the chest in Shadow Passage post-A Chance Encounter would the most accessible/quickest.
    Any idea what the drop table of these chests looks like? Bo/Dragon staves, katanas and other core faction skins?

• some of my favorite runs :)

Ice Floe Run

Vk1dNpy.png

Start: Thunderhead Keep, needs infused armor

Drops: Mursaat Bow/Hammer, sometimes Raven Staff and ofc basic skins

Run takes about 4min, usually 1-4chests per run in HM

Undercity Run

NWM3QHI.png

Start: Vizunah Square (local) wont work with WoC active, u can take the quest "The Challenge" (from Bakghu in Shenzun Tunnels) to make first two groups of Plagueborns disappear, makes it a bit faster

Drops: Plagueborn Weapons, Celestial Weapons (if chest near Kappas), Platinum stuff (if chest near Am Fah)

Run takes about 1-2min, usually 1-3chests per run in HM (NM can drop q8 but no guarantee for chests)

Archipelagos Run

f6sXCAX.png

Start: Cavalon

Drops: Naga Bows, Jellyfish Wands, Oni Blades/Daggers (if chest near Onis)

Run takes about 3-4min, usually 1-4chests per run in HM

Nahpui Run (explorable)

tJ6eyTr.png

Start: Senjis Corner

Drops: Platinum Stuff, Katanas(?) and q8 stuff if u run in NM

Run takes about 2min, usually 1-2chests per run in NM (sometimes non)

Vloxen Run

TzV2oyR.png

Start: Vlox Falls

Drops: all kinds of Runes, Tomes & Summit Weapons, Draconic/Ornate/Serrated Spear, other EotN skins

Run takes about 30-45sec, atleast 9 out 10 runs spawns a chest in HM (SUPER fast run :D)

WTB <-- PLEASE LOOK

ign: Katze Kami

Edited 4 times, last by hGt (June 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM).

• My most precious Chestruns are - Nahpui Quarter (Explorable) and Wajjun Basar, since I get most of my Bladed Shields from there :)

When I scroll through the pictures of the first post on this Thread, I see a short Chest Run in Bukdek Byway (I even found a video on youtube for this run). But when I try to run it, there are no Afflicted Enemies, although I got no Quest active in Cantha. I've even tried it with Characters, who just arrived in Cantha and didn't do the Quest: "Cleansing Bukdek BYway"

So my question is: Did ArenaNet fix this because of massive bots or are these Afflicted Enemies just there on a special condition? Maybe I need the quest: "Cleansing Bukdek Byway" active?

I would be glad, if someone has an answer ^^

Best regards.

Kugi

P.S.: Here is the video I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaO0gaI-ev0

• i do that one quite often, no quest required, idk why they aren't there for you xD

I'm guessing its a secondary quest, possibly from in kc that removes that spawn... or maybe even that first find master togo quest when you get to cantha does it (not sure) since that spawn is nearish where his first location is.

• try picking up the quest "memories of purity" first on ur character if they did WoC it might be the quick solution.

On characters new to cantha its probably the quest "welcome to cantha" or something doing it.

I'll see if I have anyone who hasn't gone to KC yet to help figure it out if I find time.

Sent a mule to KC for the first time, she just did Mhenlos Request for la>kc and picked up Welcome to Cantha (primary for non fact. char) but that group is there. If they are missing and ur characters don't have elsewhere in factions its gotta be one of the quests in KC

Good Luck!

Edited once, last by Looney (November 23, 2018 at 8:14 PM).