What's your playstyle?

• Hello,

I'm interested in knowing how you play, more specifically how you monk! I'm particularly interested in the physical format, do you click your skill icons? Do you click your team mates? Do you click to move? Etc...

I've seen a couple of videos recently that have made me question if I could improve my technique.

I mainly play PvE with heroes. I use WASD to move with Q as cycle weapon sets. I then manually select my target ally from the Party Window, using 1-5 number keys above WASD to trigger the corresponding first five skills. Skills 6-8 I use less frequently and will usually click these as it's a bit of a stretch to press them on the keyboard!

So, how do you do it? Have I been doing it wrong all this time?! If we want to get really carried away we could talk interface set up too!

Always blame the Monk.

• I would say do what is most comfortable for you. If you find using the keyboard the best---then that is ok. If you find mousing the best way, thats great too. If you do a combination of them....you get the idea.

I know back in the day the pvp 'leet' would tell you which they prefer, but if you are just doing pve it really is best the way you find most comfortable.

:mouse:where is the 'all you can eat' cookie bar? :cookie:

• I use both hands to type what I want to buy or sell or both. Then I usually use my right hand to hit enter...but when things really get crazy in kamadan there's no telling what I might use to hit enter. And don't get me started on the up arrow...

• I would say do what is most comfortable for you.

Yeah I totally agree, that's what I've been doing for a long time. Just intrigued on how others prefer!

I use both hands to type what I want to buy or sell or both. Then I usually use my right hand to hit enter...but when things really get crazy in kamadan there's no telling what I might use to hit enter. And don't get me started on the up arrow...

This is really interesting and useful Kabong. I may try your pressing enter technique. How many keyboards do you go through a week?

Always blame the Monk.

• I used to play with lag, so whatever keyboard button i pressed/sometimes hit/very rare smashed, my toon will do nothing until few seconds/milisecond after, so i trusted my henchi for pve and comerade for pvp :D

uh... i often read "ffs" in windows chat while on the way to Rago with random group, i miss ffs and other flamemable thing ;(

• keyboard i use wasd to move

1-8 on number pad is my party members, 0 toggles my pet commander for rangers/pre characters with pet to tank on charr runs.

C for closest target foe, tab to cycle target foe.

mouse is logitech g600 (used to use razor naga, logi has more buttons)

left/right click is normal. 3rd button is space, left/right scroll wheel targets chests/items

1-8 mouse thumb buttons for skills, 9-12 is weapon sets, sometimes 9 is other things if I only use 3 weapon sets on the character

one button on top of mouse is 'r' to run

In pre 9 on mouse is usually a macro to select my charr partner and cast healing breeze on them

ꚛꚙꚛ Ouch My Assassin | Raise R Bladez ꚛꚙꚛ

• mouse is logitech g600 (used to use razor naga, logi has more buttons)

1-8 mouse thumb buttons for skills, 9-12 is weapon sets, sometimes 9 is other things if I only use 3 weapon sets on the character

one button on top of mouse is 'r' to run

I've used an old Logitech gaming mouse for a while but it only has the forward and backward buttons for your thumb, how do you find the thumb buttons? Are they easy to use or is it a bit tricky to get use to?

Always blame the Monk.

• I use a combination of keys and clicks. It's not too scientific, just instinctive.

WASD to move, V to call targets (with thumb), key numbers 1-3 to activate the respective skills. I click the skill bar to activate skills 4-8. I also click on a target to select and attack it.

Lose a minion, make a minion.

• All this talk of G600 is making me want one! I'd like to get my hands on one and see how comfortable it is before a drop the cash though!

cosyfiep like you said originally, whats most comfortable for you! Clicking reminds me of the Runescape days...

Always blame the Monk.

• I use WASD or click to move for movement. Skills 1-5 with the corresponding numbers on my keyboard. Skills 6-8 with Q, E and R. Weapon sets are Z, X, V and B. I click the party window to target.

I’ve always used a standard 5-button mouse. In my opinion the 3000-button mice are just a gimmick. I’ve never ran out of keys on my keyboard for binds, ever. Also, most of those mice have inferior sensors (lag, jitter, acceleration etc), which is horrible when playing any type of FPS. Which is also true for most mice on the market.

• who is saying mice are inferior??? :mouse:

I guess I am just old fashioned...my mouse has a tale (wired) though it does have extra buttons, I never use them...my thumb doesnt like to do extra work either!

:mouse:where is the 'all you can eat' cookie bar? :cookie:

• who is saying mice are inferior??? :mouse:

I guess I am just old fashioned...my mouse has a tale (wired) though it does have extra buttons, I never use them...my thumb doesnt like to do extra work either!

I only use wired mice too! I’m sure the wireless mice got better over the years. But my experience with them wasn’t pleasing at all :P

Edited once, last by idjut ().

• I've used an old Logitech gaming mouse for a while but it only has the forward and backward buttons for your thumb, how do you find the thumb buttons? Are they easy to use or is it a bit tricky to get use to?

Its pretty easy to get used to the thumb buttons on the g600.

As Crimson Raven said the hardest is the 10-12 row, but g600 beats naga for those.

On the naga the thumb button grid is flat with only bumps on every other row to help id them. It comes with stickers to 'train' you on button placement.

The g600 approach was to arrange them in 'cups' for lack of a better word. 1-3 and 4-6 are the front 'cup' used with the tip of your thumb. 7-9 and 10-12 make up the rear 'cup' and with practice you can use the ball of your thumb (the joint) to use them. It helps if you have 'hitchhiker thumbs' (where holding your thumb out the top joint by the nail extends backwards)

At worst, if you get one, you will be able to use 1-9 for skills/whatever and there is the option for the 3rd mouse button (or w/e you set) to be like a 'mouse shift' so 'ms + other mouse button' = moar possible combos.

If you don't mind shift combos its like 2x the possible button assignments of a razer naga... and more solidly built... believe me i've been thru about 8 nagas so far over the past years.

• I guess I am the only one who almost exclusively uses the mouse and not the keyboard, guess my left hand just likes to do no work outside of c and space :P

Sorry for dbl post,

C and space are on my mouse, so is Y which is set to target next item (chests/drops). My setup is made for mouse only chest running sometimes. Yes, I use wasd for 'labor intensive' times ^^ but by no means 'all' the time... or even possibly 'most'.

• I mostly just use the mouse. I have the mouse wheel button mapped to R with X-Mouse Button Control.

When playing in areas that I want to open chests, I enable StickyKeys in Windows Control Panel Accessibility Options and double-tap the Alt key so it will stay held down making the chests visible as soon as they're in range. Only minor annoyance is I have to remember to tap Alt before chatting so Enter doesn't make it switch to windowed mode. ;)

• At worst, if you get one, you will be able to use 1-9 for skills/whatever and there is the option for the 3rd mouse button (or w/e you set) to be like a 'mouse shift' so 'ms + other mouse button' = moar possible combos.

Thanks for the info Looney! It does sound very appealing and if I can assign those keys to my skillbar it might make things alot easier!

When playing in areas that I want to open chests, I enable StickyKeys in Windows Control Panel Accessibility Options and double-tap the Alt key so it will stay held down making the chests visible as soon as they're in range. Only minor annoyance is I have to remember to tap Alt before chatting so Enter doesn't make it switch to windowed mode. ;)

This is very useful! I've always wondered an easier way to have chests visible! Thanks!

Always blame the Monk.

• Thanks for the info Looney! It does sound very appealing and if I can assign those keys to my skillbar it might make things alot easier!

The thumb buttons by default are 1 thru 0 and -/= on the keyboard top row even without drivers. Everything can be remapped or short macros once you install the drivers from logitech. I use it as skills for 1-8 then 10-12 is f1-f3.

Nobody has mentioned the rows/columns, it leads to 'odd' build templates. My self heal is always button 4, enchants are like 7 or 8.... that isn't too weird. My sin has his 1-3 attack chain but moebius strike is in slot 6 because button 6 is behind button 3. I often do eotn tours/droks,etc and chest run if using a DS+<run skill> combo I have ds in 4 and the run skill in 7 behind it.

Tl;dr stick spam/needed skills in easiest for you spots