Info and research on prenerf greens (Outdated)

• I think the first 2 are Pre's?

The last one Post?

I see more of a difference in the Inventory Icon as opposed to the shields

Can Oldschool Cool confirm?

I know I probably have a couple more on heroes , I farmed this frequently back in the day

IGN Rogue Monks Bane

• My 2005 SF farming drop The soulstone matches the proposed prenerf colors. So if someone has a modern one to check can add that to confirmed.

I whispered to you a few minutes ago but I think you were AFK. I have the post-nerf version, we can check it outside Great Temple of Balthazar to take a screenshot and uploading it here if you have time.

I think the first 2 are Pre's?

The last one Post?

I see more of a difference in the Inventory Icon as opposed to the shields

Can Oldschool Cool confirm?

I know I probably have a couple more on heroes , I farmed this frequently back in the day

If you have time now, I say the same, we can go at the beach outside GToB to check it with good light environment.

• Hi,

this one here should be different from the current version of this staff as well, and if I'm not wrong it wasn't in your list before. If it was then ignore this post :)

I just saw that the German wiki has the same statline of that stuff but the english wiki has a different mod order - so I don't know if that one here is prenerf or the other one ^^

Edited once, last by Kugiini (February 6, 2021 at 8:42 PM).

• Hey, Kugiini

Thanks for checking in. Yours is current, unfortunately. I've checked it against a screenshot of one I got a couple months ago. The English wiki isn't exactly reliable in terms of how it lists/represents mods on various weapons. It takes a lot of liberties with reordering and combining the mods, and is pretty inconsistent even with respect to that.

IGN: Vengeful Was Unholy
    Discord: Unholy2295
    WTB Pre-nerf Greens -> Information
    My WTB Thread

• I whispered to you a few minutes ago but I think you were AFK. I have the post-nerf version, we can check it outside Great Temple of Balthazar to take a screenshot and uploading it here if you have time.

If you have time now, I say the same, we can go at the beach outside GToB to check it with good light environment.

I actually met up with Unholy today and its now in his possession and it is prenerf. We checked some other old greens I had as well without getting into the slog of alt accounts and searching heroes. I was afk all morning though as I had to get the goat to the vet.

• Hoookay, big-ish update. Got a few new ones to add to the list, and a few more details to add to old ones. Thanks to Spun Ducky for the beautiful prenerf soulstone and big daddy Captain Krompdown for the byzzr/bazzr wombo combo.

First up: providing a picture of the recent wayward list addition.

Next: English text for Kaolin Water Staff and confirmation of color difference.

Next: A new addition to the list. Milthuran's Staff, text and color differences.

Next: English text for Scourgewind's Branch and confirmation of (very slight) color change.

Next: English text for Spiritgarden's Repose and confirmation of NO color change on this one.

Next: Another new one to the list. Pre-nerf Gorrel's Cane. No stat or mod differences, just a color change. Icons appear identical.

Next: Another new one to the list - Bazzr's Wail. No stat/mod order differences. Only color changes.

Next: Another new one to the list - Byzzr's Benediction. Again no stat/mod order differences. Just a color swap on the item itself. Icons are identical.

And last but not least, confirmation of a (serious) color change for The Soulstone. No stat/mod order differences. Icons are identical.

(Also have a pre/post Kyril's Fervor now as well, but that one is already up to date on the list. Everything checks out.)

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

My WTB Thread

Edited once, last by Unholy (February 9, 2021 at 8:38 AM).

• Oldschool Cool February 13, 2021 at 4:24 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 26 January)” to “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 13 February)”.
  • Once again thanks a lot for your contributions.

I updated the thread and reordered the list a little bit (trying to group the green that are the same type or share the same skin)

We current have 40 confirmed prenerf greens :

- 4 confirmed green with different mods (and sometimes color)

- 20 confirmed staves with a different mod order (and sometimes color)

- 1 confirmed martial with a different mod order

- 15 confirmed green with a different color

Some observations on the new greens :

- Milthuran's Staff fit the usual pattern (similar to stoneweaver for exemple)

- Spiritgarden's Repose I think the color is just pure green that why there is no difference.

- The Soulstone, huge color difference on this one. That's a great find, thanks Spun Ducky and Unholy !

- Gorrel's Cane, interesting one. There aren't that many wands with a different color. The image on all the wiki (official, unofficial and german) seems to be of the prenerf version that why it didn't come up in my potential list. Also interesting to see that the current color seems to be just pure grey.

This new addition also make me think that a prenerf version of the Vokur Cane is very likely to exist. I have then increased the rating from 1/5 to 4/5.

A note to the contributors :

- I have directly included your screenshot from legacy, so please don't edit/delete your original post or the screenshot will be lost

- I'm considering adding another colunm to credit the user who contributed the screenshot, let me know what you think about that

IGN : Veni Vidi Wiki

WTB Triple prof wands + Aegis/SotW + Prenerf runes + Sanhan's Staff (here)

• I just bought this and it has the same icon of the wiki, but I leave it anyway.

PV6cKRY.png

Ostona It's hard to really spot the difference on those pictures. I have a current version of this one, feel free to PM me if you want to check yours.

Spun Ducky Great find !

Unholy Thanks for your contributions mate, you are becoming the leading expert on prenerf green with all those new finds :)

Forty Second Rogue Seems you already confirmed your strongroot shelter. Maybe you have some other prenerf green on your storage/heroes ! On a side note if you still have it i might be interested in buying this one.

Kugiini I double checked against mine (that I farmed my self 3 months ago), yours is indeed the current version.

• - I'm considering adding another colunm to credit the user who contributed the screenshot, let me know what you think about that

For me it's OK too (but in my case I don't care).

Ostona It's hard to really spot the difference on those pictures. I have a current version of this one, feel free to PM me if you want to check yours.

No problem, I let you know when I have it again because I gave it to a friend, I don't collect things that I don't want to keep so after taking the pictures for the Wiki I return/sell/giveaway them.

• Update tiiiiiime

Lot more work put into this batch, but she's the biggest one yet. Gonna try to organize this post a lil more than the last one because of all the new additions.

First up: Posting my own images of a few already-confirmed prenerfs on the list that I thought were missing too much information (color, icons, stats, or any combination of the three, if relevant), to update the quality, or to have the information displayed in a more consistent manner.

Starting off:

Kaolin Domination Staff - Colors of both the weapon and icon differ slightly between the two versions, and the stat swap here, of course, follows the pattern of the others.

Next up, Kepkhet's Refuge: A well-known example, but now providing a side by side by side comparison as I've acquired the seemingly-more-rare brown prenerf version. The color of the brown prenerf and postnerf versions are the same, as are the stats of the gold and brown prenerf versions.

For the newer additions to the thread, I'll be separating them by profession.

Monk:

Brohn's Holy Rod: A somewhat expected new addition, follows the pattern for most black-dyed green items, that the prenerf version is a lighter black than the current version. Stats and order are identical, as are the icons.

The Scar Eater: This one was largely unexpected, and I only just happened to notice it while sorting through ones I had been sitting on for a while already. The color difference is much more subtle here, but the prenerf is a brighter white, more noticeable in the glow just around the edges of the weapon itself than anything, but more noticeable near the cracks on the bottom of the staff in game. Stats and order are identical, as are the icons.

The Stonehart: I've known about this one for quite a while now, and always hoped to find it. Another beautiful prenerf color, with a lights on/lights off effect similar to the Byzzr's Benediction I posted earlier. These two mean there is undoubtedly a prenerf version of Incetol's Focus as well, as that one is dyed, but probably not one for Feng's Focus, which seems to have the default color for the skin. Stats, order, and icons are all identical.

The Yakslapper: However...the green being dyed or having a dyeable skin is apparently not a prerequisite. The default skin/color of The Yakslapper is pvp only, and cannot be dyed, yet there are different colored versions of the Yakslapper itself. Who knew. Stats, order, and icons are all identical.

Ziinfaun's Belief: Another beauty of a prenerf (and postnerf tbh, always loved the color on this one). An unexpected find, but no doubt stoked to have found it. As a bit of trivia, the prenerf color of this one matches the prenerf color of Wroth's Holy Rod. (Ok maybe not, just checked again and they are pretty close, but still different colors, sorry about that). Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Necromancer:

Ghial's Staff: One I definitely expected to exist, but hadn't found proof of anywhere until finding the actual item itself. Fits the usual theme for factions staffs with +1 attribute mods. Color is slightly different as well, being a slightly brighter silver/white on the prenerf, but the icons for both are identical. Definitely one of the favorite finds for this batch.

Kaolin Accursed Staff: A slightly more detailed look at the one SolRock posted above. Despite being black-dyed, the colors of both versions of this one are identical, which is unusual. Stats follow the usual pattern for Kaolin and other + attribute staffs. Icons are identical as well.

Kole's Gauntlet: Back to one that follows the lighter/darker black pattern. Stats, order, and icons are all identical.

Rot's Putrescence: Wiki makes mention of Rot's being one of the few uniques with mixed dye coloring. Seems it would refer to the current colors, but who knows. The prenerf version definitely looks to have some green mixed in as well. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Sourbeak's Taint: One that is somewhat obvious when checking the wiki image history. Color difference wasn't too hard to spot (but kinda surprised this one would've been kept all this time, stats are uh..not the greatest.) Stats, order and icons are all identical.

The Shadestone: The base skin "Shadestone" can't be dyed, but "The Shadestone" uniques are a black-dyed version of that base skin. The prenerf is a lighter black, and the postnerf darker. Stats, order, and icons are all identical.

Warrior:

Kai's Sword: One I expected to exist, as it's a red-dyed oni blade, but the difference is super subtle. A very slight color change on the handle of the weapon itself, and like a single pixel color difference on the icon. Stats/order are identical.

Merki's Gaze: Another somewhat expected prenerf, as the base skin is dyed. Kinda subtle difference here as well, but the change in the icons on this one is much more noticeable than on Kai's Sword. Stats and order are identical (and this one is untouchable by robot hands!)

Sskai's Sword: Like Kai's Sword, but with a lil extra sssslither to it. Very slight color difference in the handle on the icon and weapon itself. Stats/order are identical.

Tarnen's Shield: Everybody's favorite cruuuude shieelldddd..skin. Interesting how a lot of these warrior ones are dyed red. Pretty obvious color difference on the item itself. Stats, order, icons are all identical.

Victo's Maul: A very manly object. Surprised the prenerf doesn't require three hands. Very slight color difference on the handle (kinda like Vera). Stats, order, icons are all identical.

Elementalist:

Galigord's Stone Scroll: Not too surprised by this one, given how likely some other earth scroll greens are, but the differences in this one are much more subtle than those. Prenerf is slightly whiter with darker rings around the crystals. Postnerf is slightly darker with brighter rings around the crystals. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Koosun's Fire Staff: A big ol firey stick. Color difference on the item itself is fairly noticeable. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Runar's Brimstone Staff: The favorite lightning spire skin, dyed black. Fits the pattern of lighter black on prenerf and darker black on postnerf. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

This post will be continued below as I've reached the max attachments for a single post. Stay tuned!

My WTB Thread

Edited 2 times, last by Unholy (March 28, 2021 at 8:34 PM).

• Continuing the last post...

Ranger:

Razortongue's Recurve Bow: A little surprised on this one tbh. Bows seem to be less common among the prenerfs, but apparently this is a black-dyed one and it fits the usual pattern of lighter then darker. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Ritualist:

The Pain Eater: A lil underappreciated thang from a silly goat man. Current version has a deeper red, prenerf has a lighter red. Icon for prenerf looks more orange than it does red but hey whatever, man. Stats and order are identical.

Assassin:

Daggers of Xuekao: Thought for a while now these would have a prenerf (like all the other red-handled weapons?). Similar to the swords above, prenerf is a lighter red, with noticeably different icons as well. Stats and order are identical. One of the first daggers I ever farmed for my assassin after getting factions all those years ago. Happy to find a prenerf pair. *sniff*

Kaolin Daggers: Almost got the whole Kaolin weapon set, don't we? Probably one of the few cases where I like the postnerf colors better than the prenerf, but again fits the lighter black/darker black pattern. Stats, order are identical. Icons are noticeably different.

Shreader's Talons: The good ol vermin farm bossman. Fits the color changing pattern of all the other unique daggers with the golden talons base skin. I have all of them except Razorfang's Claws now! (If you think you might have a prenerf pair, please contact me!) Stats and order are identical. Weapon and icon colors are noticeably different.

Mesmer:

Vokur's Chakram: All of Vokur's unique items are dyed black. The Chakram is no exception to the usual pattern. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

Vokur's Cane: Note - This one I do not own. It was customized, but had the owner hold both versions so I could grab a picture. He had the above Chakram as well and also Vokur's Staff (also customized, which he regrets lol). It's reasonable to believe that all three are from the same time period, but Vokur's Staff showed no color difference, despite being black-dyed, unlike the Cane and Chakram. This one fits the usual black pattern. Stats, order and icons were all identical.

I believe that hits all the new ones I have for now. 26 new additions to the list. 62(miscounted) 57 unique uniques in the collection now. If you have anything you think may qualify, please reach out and we can do some testing. Thanks and enjoy!

My WTB Thread

Edited once, last by Unholy (March 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM).

• I wonder what caused the change. The dye tones are probably related to the dye system changes, but the mod order? Weird.

The light/dark prenerf kepkhets is a lovely piece of history. I wonder which is rarer.

The dye system change is the current theory for the color changes. It's most evident with black-dyed greens. "Old" black (which some people may still have applied to their current armor sets) isn't as black as current black.

My guess is simple aesthetics on the mod orders (though it doesn't apply to all of the variations, I think).

Something along the lines of them probably thinking
    ----

---

---

-

Looks nicer than

----

---

-

---

As for Kepkhet's, it's the only known green to have more than one prenerf version. In my experience the brown prenerf is more rare, but why and when either of those changes happened is really anyone's guess.

My WTB Thread

• Katchow, what's poppin' weirdos, it's ya boi back at it again with the info

Small but yuuge update. Kepkhet's is no longer the only known green with more than 2 versions.

Check it

(added third image for extra proof)

New theory:

• This opens up the potential for any green with both a mod order *and* color change (between their known pre-nerf and post-nerf versions) to have a 3rd version somewhere in between. Kepkhet's suggested it could be a thing, but a second example (from a different campaign no less) pretty much proves it. This primarily applies to staves, but potentially wands and, so far for martials, Arius' Sai. Basically the potential list just got a whole lot bigger.
    • The dye update and staff HSR rework that came with Nightfall release (suggested at the bottom of the initial post) was previously thought to be the culprit for the changes on greens. The 2 known greens with (at least?) 3 versions would suggest that
      • The color change came first (before the dye system update?) and the mod change at a later time (at NF release?) This seems the more likely answer.
      • OR.
      • The color change happened with the dye system update (at NF release) and the mods changed after (after NF released). This would then open up the possibility for prenerf NF greens as well, but as none have ever been recorded, this seems unlikely.

My WTB Thread

• Oldschool Cool May 13, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 13 February)” to “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 13 May)”.
  • I updated the original post :

* Included all of Unholy new discoveries. New total : 65 (Different stats=4 - Different mod order=23 - Different color=38)

* Cleaned and reorganised the charts

* Removed some dead links

* Deleted the "updated date" column that wasn't adding any new informations (all of those were updated sometimes around 2006)

The list is becoming quite big and it's not really effective to maintain it on legacy. I might switch to a shared google spreadsheet.

• Some general comments on the new discoveries :

* Thanks to SolRockSF and Unholy we now have confirmation of the stat order change for all the 4 Kaolin staves (still unsure about the color change of the protection staff as this one is based on the german wiki picture and hasn't been seen In Game yet).

* Scar Eater / Khole Gauntlet / Galigord's Stone Scroll : the difference is really subtle, I'm still amazed that Unholy was able to actually spot them !

* Yakslapper / Brohn's Holy Rod / Runar's Brimstone Staff = Those were already in my potential prenerf list based on some pictures from an old french website. It's great to see them confirmed. Now that we have confirmation of the color difference on the "metal part', it's very likely there are prenerf version of : Gardock's Staff / Rago's Flame Wand / Galigord's Rod based on some old pictures.

* The color difference on the shields make me think that a prenerf version of Baubao's Shell is very likely.

* The addition of Shreader's Talons make it obvious that a prenerf Razorfang's Claw will be found.

* Rot's Putrescence: "Wiki makes mention of Rot's being one of the few uniques with mixed dye coloring". Once again the Wiki is very incomplete. I would say most the prenerf green with a different color are using some unreplicable color from the old dye system (Strongroot's Shelter for exemple). Also interesting to see that the picture on the official wiki seems to be way darker than the prenerf and the post-nerf version you posted !

* Razortongue's Recurve Bow / Sskai's Sword and other open a big can of worm. Previously we were mostly focusing on staves, wands and focus but those new discoveries show that all the weapon type might have a prenerf version with a different color.

* Shadestone / Yakslapper. Those green are really interesting, they have an unique skin unreplicable in PvE and their PvP version can't be dyed and yet there have a pernerf version with a different color !

* The stone reaper²

Display Spoiler

That's a big one, the fact that's it's a totally different green from a different campaign open the possibilities that **all** the green with a different mod order have 3 different versions. That could also explain why the prenerf Kaolin staff domination has the same color as the post nerf one.

• Honestly I can't find a pattern or a real explanation to the new mod order.

From an aesthetic point of view it's hard to explain this one :

XXKNiKJ.png

• The return of my esteemed colleague!

Yar, my Brohn and Gorrel staves seem to be an exception to a couple different would-be patterns. True oddities

Rules are always made to be broken I guess. Who knowwwwwwssss

Edit: Just noticed the other posts you made.

For the note on the stone reaper, yeah I mentioned that that opens up a lot of new possibilities. I think you might be thinking of the kaolin accursed staff though. The dom staff (or, at least, my two dom staves) have different colors.

But the prenerf accursed I got from solrock and current one have the same color. Given that those are black-dyed (what are usually some of the more noticeable changes), I’m almost certain there would be another accursed with a light-black color and prenerf mod order.

Edit 2: For the chart details, think you may have swapped the locations for shadestone/kole’s gauntlet

My WTB Thread

Edited 2 times, last by Unholy (May 14, 2021 at 6:38 PM).

• Oldschool Cool May 30, 2021 at 2:42 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 13 May)” to “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 30 May)”.
  • Allllrighty then. Been a few months since my last big update so let's get to it.

Starting with some better pictures/comparisons of ones previously mentioned. Then adding some image/color proof for ones that were already on the list but lacking an image. Of course, no update would be complete without some spicy new additions as well.

MESMER

Back in March I added confirmation of Vokur's Chakram and Cane, and thought there must be a prenerf Vokur's Staff as well.

So first, a more consistent comparison of Vokur's Cane (including icons) now that I have one. (previous one was customized). Icons here appear identical, and stats/order are the same for both. A typical shift from light black to dark black.

NItJwgZ.png

Next up: Vokur's Staff. It does exist! As mentioned in the last update, all Vokur greens are black, and the staff follows the usual light->dark black pattern of the others. Stats, order and icons are all identical.

fKQ5may.png

Moving on to some new new additions...guess we'll continue on the mesmer hype train.

First up is Garbok's Chalice. A little hot pink action for ya. Colors are noticeably different with the prenerf having the usual more vibrant colors compared to the newer one. Stats, order and icon are identical.

EoCgMAJ.png

Now, from the same boss, Handsmasher. This is currently on the list as confirmed but was lacking an image. Big color difference. Stats, order and icon are identical. The 3rd green from this boss, Garbok's Cane, uses the base, undyed color for its skin, so barring any proof otherwise, it shouldn't have a prenerf. While there are exceptions to this (see Yakslapper and Shadestone), it's kind of apples/oranges. That cane skin can be dyed, but isn't on Garbok's Cane. The Yakslapper and Shadestone skins can't be dyed, but are on the respective greens. Maybe that has something to do with it.

dpusxqo.png

Speaking of the Shadestone skin...moving on now to Illyana's Mirror. Assumed one had to exist and finding the prenerf Shadestone. The pre/post colors on Illyana's are the same as pre/post on Shadestone. Stats, order and icon are identical for both.

whUfJmn.png

Next up is a newcomer to the discussion: Kenrii's Sorrow. A brief return to ones that actually have different mod orders as well. Icon here shows a a noticeable difference, matching the color swap on the weapon itself.

RnsKQNB.png

J5PEUKC.png

Next up is Korvald's Chakram. Another Sorrow's Furnace item off the list. Inching closer and closer to confirming them all. Stats, order, icons are all identical. Just a color change here.

bOCNRvb.png

Last but not least for the mesmers...everyone's favorite: Wingstorm. An extra spicy find, imo. Stats, order and icon are all identical, but it sports a pretty big color change. Created long before mesmers would have their day in PvE. An oldschool needle in an ever-growing haystack of newschool favorites. This is how it's done.

eUrDLRa.png

RITUALIST

The other big-ish winner in this update.

Starting with a closer look at Orosen's Staff. Previously thought to exist based on old wiki images. Confirming the color changes on the purple parts of the staff. Stats and order are identical. Icons are slightly different, matching the purple on the staff itself.

cNBrdrb.png

Next up is a squiggly stick from the Ritual Lord himself - Ritual Lord's Staff. One of the most subtle changes I've found so far. Differences are on the wraps of the staff and are highlighted to try to help. Stats and order are the same. Icons are very slightly different.

JCykkry.png

Still not convinced? Fret not! There's another, sometimes better way to check for color on ones with very subtle changes. For all weapons (greens or not), the entirety of the weapon will appear as the dyed color when the weapon is dropped on the ground, not just the parts that actually dye. I first noticed this when farming greens way back when, taking screenshots of them still assigned on the ground. See the below example for this test demonstrated on the ritual lord staves.

IvxNFIL.png

Following that is a slightly smaller and more squiggly stick from a silly plant: Mossbeard's Wand. Noticeably brighter green on the prenerf and a matching change in the icons as well. Stats and order are identical.

gv82yKX.png

Last update for Rits is my favorite of the four: Kaolin Wand. Wasn't sure if this one would exist as, unlike the Platinum Wand skin which is dyeable, this green uses the Platinum Scepter skin, which supposedly shows no changes when dyed. Looks like the handle is dyed red, but doesn't follow the usual lighter -> darker pattern. Instead, the prenerf here is the darker one. This marks #5 of 8 for the Kaolin weapon set prenerfs! (Just the blade, longbow and prot staff remaining. If you think you may have one of them please get in touch!)

xj2SRin.png

Warrior

A closer look at Baubao's Shell. Stats and order are the same. Icons are noticeably different (more so than the shield itself imo). KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA

Ujg4g2e.png

Assassin

Palm strike sins rejoice! Thought this one would be out there somewhere, turns out it is. Kenshi's Butterfly Daggers here, getting a swap to a different shade of green. Stats and order are identical. Icons are slightly different (most noticeable at the bottom of the handles).

7TDdRk4.png

Necromancer

A better look at the Frozen Fan acquired from Crusan. Very spicy. Farming one nowadays is hard enough. For this one to have stuck around is something. Stats and order are the same, icons are noticeably different.

Forgotten and Frozen fans are both confirmed now. For dyed weapons (greens or otherwise), swapping between them in your weapon sets will temporarily show the base (undyed) color of the item. When doing this with Forgotten and Frozen Fans, it shows the yellow color of the Tattered Fan. This makes it seem unlikely that the Tattered Fan would have a big color change like the other two do, but it's gw/anet...who knows. Maybe it does exist. If you have a Tattered Fan you think is particularly old, hit me up and we'll check it out.

Zw3HphG.png

Elementalist

Tarlok's Flagon. Another one I was super surprised to have found. Makes sense that they could exist, but never expected to find one. A one-off boss the only reason for which to ever kill would be to cap an elite. Thinking that was this one's origin story and it was kindly spared the merchant all these years. Stats and order are the same. Icons show a big difference. What else is there to say? Everyone likes a nice pair of jugs.

Xpiligs.png

There are more to come still (in the nearer future, hopefully), but I thought it'd been too long since the last update and had to post something.

Retroactive Corrections

Until then, I'll leave you with some additional screenshots of greens that have been retroactively corrected. Had to dig hard for some of these...

The Rockmolder. The one and only. The original. The infamous. Note the universal 20% recharge on the original. This one is on the list, now providing an image. (The original cropping was bad, swear it wasn't me.)

hQQNQka.png

WiK Greens (being mod-able when they shouldn't be)

On the list, now adding an image. In this example: Righteous Fury

WQ8sv3L.jpg

Phoenix's Retribution

Unlike "Faith," also from WoC, this one was corrected. Originally missed its inscription. Also on the list, now adding an image.

Fv6RaLU.png

Now for two new ones not on the list

Iceblood's Warstaff

Originally featured a single HCT 40% mod, instead of two HCT 20% mods. All were corrected.

xb5Hgqt.png

Fervorborn Staff

Originally misspelled as "Ferverborn Staff." All were corrected. Wiki also makes note of them being spelled as "Feverborn Staff." Maybe this was the case at some point too, but I could only find "ferver."

egrlN8m.png

Thanks for reading. Hope you all enjoyed. Tune in next time!

If anyone has any questions or thinks they may have some particularly old greens, please reach out to me and we can check them.

My WTB Thread

• can someone confirm what i think is a Pre Ogre Knife?

Hah, saw the notification and got all excited for a new addition. Maybe next time :p

But from this picture, yes, it looks like it. Always happy to help confirm in game if you or anyone else has any questions. (Not on atm but can be relatively soon.)

My WTB Thread

• Hah, saw the notification and got all excited for a new addition. Maybe next time :p

But from this picture, yes, it looks like it. Always happy to help confirm in game if you or anyone else has any questions. (Not on atm but can be relatively soon.)

Sorry ,

Is there still some questions about Sanhan's Staff? I had one drop recently

IGN Rogue Monks Bane

• Sorry ,

Is there still some questions about Sanhan's Staff? I had one drop recently

Sanhan's staff is an interesting item.

Here is the current Sanhan's ( Forty Second Rogue i'm using your own picture cause i'm lazy :p ) :

23825-gw070-jpg

The German Wiki include a picture of the old Sanhan's staves that used to drop before October 2006. Below is a photoshoped picture of those stats (translated from the german picture)

21371-sahan-png

https://www.guildwiki.de/wiki/Sanhans_Stab

In theory the October 2006 update changed all the existing staves to update them from a local HSR (in that case 10% earth) to a global HSR (the 20% HSR that you find on all staves nowadays). But as we all know Arena net is consistently inconsistant and they forgot to update some of the weird low level staves.

A well known exemple is Ziinjuu's Sanctuary :

fRoPKlz.png

You will notice that Zinjuu and Sanhan are both low level green from Shing Jea and they have extremely similar prenerf and postnerf stats. Considering that Anet forgot to update the old Zinjuu it's very likely they also forgot to update the old Sanhan . But it hasn't been confirmed in game so far.

• It's about that time again! Excuse me while I whip this out.

Made a lil more effort in making the comparisons higher quality. Changed the layout a bit, too. I'll eventually go back and redo the older ones I posted to make everything more consistent.

Icons shown belong to their respective half of the comparison. If they're identical, they'll say "identical." If they're different, they won't say anything. Pre-nerf will always be on top. Post-nerf will always be on bottom.

Before we get into it I'd like to thank Capitalist for his very generous donation of Galigord's Rod, Willcrusher, Shen's Censure, and Woe Spreader.

Let's do the thing.

Monk

Hukhrah's Staff: I knew this one was out there based on an old screenshot I found, but never really expected to find it. The overabundance of staves created by Mount Qinkai vanquishes should have long since buried their more ancient counterpart.

Shen's Censure: A surprising find. Hadn't considered this one prior to its discovery, but Capitalist came in clutch. Tip of the hat to you. The colors on this one seem identical to the colors on Hukhrah's. Stats, order and icons are identical.

Incetol's Focus: Harder to farm than The Stonehart and Byzzr's Benediction, makes sense that this was the last of the pre-nerf loops to be found.* The trio is complete! Stats, order and icon are identical.

*There is Feng's Focus, but it uses the base dye color for divine symbol loops and there's no evidence to suggest its stats would change somehow, so I don't believe it will have a pre-nerf version.

Necro

Gordac's Holy Rod: The first of Gordac's pre-nerfs to be found, but the last of the pre-nerf holy rods! As with Incetol's Focus and the loops, there is one other holy rod from Proph/Factions (Ivor's Smiting Rod), but it also uses the base color for holy rods. Until proven otherwise, I don't believe a pre-nerf Ivor Rod exists. This one is interesting in that its confirmation should remove the possibility of different mod orders on pre-nerf wands.

This image (found in the list in the OP) is of the original stats (note the +3 energy instead of the standard +5 now).

The stats nowadays are identical but the colors are different (the usual case). There's no evidence so far that a pre-nerf will have current stats but an old color, so I think it's safe to assume that all pre-nerf Gordac Rods (and any others that may have had this old order) were retroactively updated. Stats, order and icons are identical.

Milthuran's Staff: Not me just casually sneaking in another 3rd version. Unlike the above, old stats but new color is a possibility. I refer to these as 3rd versions as, well, they were the 3rd version of the items to be found. Big brain. Until now, Kepkhet's Refuge and The Stonereaper were the only confirmed 3rd versions. In theory, my Spiritgarden's Repose and Kaolin Accursed Staff are as well, but their normal pre-nerfs haven't been found yet.

That said, if there was any doubt before, all staves with a mod order and color change should have 3 versions. These are more rare than their usual pre-nerf counterpart, as the window for these to have dropped was significantly smaller. Here's the updated comparison of all 3. The 3rd version here is the middle image (with old stats but new color).

Bortak's Bone Cesta: This one follows the same color change as Kole's Gauntlet and is the 2nd (and last) pre-nerf glove skins. Vilnar's Glove uses the base dye for glove gauntlets, and shouldn't have any other changes. It's also the first of Bortak's weapons confirmed. The staff should be out there somewhere... Stats, order and icons are identical.

Woe Spreader: There's a pic of the pre-nerf stats for Siska's Staff in the OP, but this is the first of the four Elliptical Staff greens to be confirmed in game. Siska's and Ssuns' should have a mod and color change, and Ssyn's should just have a color change. Stats and order are identical. Icons are different.

Warrior

Warrior was one of the bigger winners with this update.

The Stonebreaker (Hammer): Slightly more exotic than your typical Pongmei/Dragon Moss fodder, this one boasts a pretty big color change. Stats and order are identical. Icons are different.

The Ugly Stick: This counts as a pre-nerf spiked club, right? Yeah totally. Ugly no more. It's found a loving home. This is another very subtle one, so I added a box to note the difference as well as a drop color comparison to show it more easily. Stats and order are the same. Icons are very slightly different.

Jacqui's Aegis: Objectively less ugly. Who doesn't like shiny things? Stats and order are identical. Icons are different. I believe the only remaining Factions shield that will have a color change is Arrahhsh's Aegis. If you think you might have one, get in touch!

Wing's Axe: The first confirmed pre-nerf axe. There should be one for Razorfin's Axe as well. Wing's sports a small color change on the handle (looks similar to the change on Sskai's Sword). The icon handle is noticeably whiter. Stats and order are identical.

Ele

Ele was the other big winner here and the one I'm most excited about as it's a big nostalgia trip to the birthplace of greens.

The Brimstone: Was super happy to finally get this one. The storm artifact prenerfs have some nice colors. Soulstone/Brimstone are found. Snapjaw's Powerstone should be out there somewhere, and with the same colors as the Brimstone. Have one? Message me! Stats, order and icons are identical.

Brimstone Wand: Yep, the pair is complete. Similar color swap to the Brimstone. Stoked to now have the full Brimstone set (the staff was confirmed earlier this year). Stats, order and icons are identical.

Galigord's Rod: Another vivid color swap. I'm pretty sure this pre-nerf color of this one will match the pre-nerf color of Seacrash's Influence. If you have one you think looks similar, please get in touch. Stats, order and icons are identical.

Flint's Fleshcleaver: Most of the pre-nerf colors are so nice. Why'd they have to go and do us like this? Stats, order and icons are identical.

Mesmer

Wayward Wand (Domination/Inspiration): The 4th of the 5 known pre-nerf Waywards. Just the Illusion/Inspiration is left. All modern green Wayward Wands will have matching attributes in their requirement and mod. Icons and color are identical.

I think it's weird that only these few combos would exist and not, say, Divine/Smiting, among others, as well. Who knows why Anet does what they do. If you have an Illusion/Inspiration one, please reach out!

Willcrusher: Last but not least, another bad boy from Sorrow's Furnace. The skin is sick, just wish the stats were more useful. The base skin (Willcrusher Staff) is undyeable and no color change is seen between these two versions. It does have a pretty obvious mod order swap though.

My WTB Thread

Edited 3 times, last by Unholy (September 26, 2021 at 1:51 AM).

• Oldschool Cool September 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 30 May)” to “Info and research on prenerf greens (updated 29 Sept)”.
  • I have added all the new the new find to the first page (let me know if I missed any).

Final count :

- 4 with different stats (and sometimes color)

- 25 with different mod order (and sometimes color)

- 65 with a different color (edit)

This evening or tomorrow I will also post some updated Potential prenerf list and some of our latest find on the color and mod order thing.

Edited once, last by Oldschool Cool (September 30, 2021 at 11:48 AM).

• Ok some update on the mod order thing :

History :

When the green staves from Proph and Fact were first dropped most of them had a 20% attribute-specific HSR (very few of them had a 10% global HSR or even no HSR at all but I will talk about those later).

The 25th October 2006 update (corresponding to the Nightfall release) changed all the existing green staves (with the exception of some low level staves from Shing-Jea) :

> Green item staffs, crafted staffs, and collector staffs with any sort of recharge bonus have been updated to reduce the recharge time of all spells with a chance of 20% instead of the attribute-specific bonuses they had previously.

Example of Kepkhet's Refuge :

Original Staff :

I was only able to find an image in french but you can easily translate it to 20% HSR protection / 20% HCT protection

"Updated staff"

Current Staff

x

How to interpret it :

The Original Staff use the same mod order as the Current staff, but the Updated staff use a different mod order. I have been able to find 20+ picture of the Original staves (with attribute specific HSR) and the pattern is always the same. We can conclude that the update that changed the attribute-specific HSR into a global HSR also messed-up the mod order of the affected staves.

Another interesting pattern is to look at how the mod order was affected, once again there is a very clear pattern :

Original Kepkhet : +20% ench // +5e

Updated Kepkhet : +5e // +20% ench

Original Wenlauss' Faith : +30hp // +5e

Updated Wenlauss' Faith : +5e // +30hp

Original Kaolin staves : +1/20% attribute // +30hp

Updated Kaolin staves : +30hp // +1/20% attribute

Original Stonereaper : +1/20% curse // +5e

Updated Stonereaper : +5e // +1/20% cruse

Original Stoneweaver : +20%ench//+5AR

Updated Stoneweaver : +5AR//+20%ench

The Original Staff is always modded : Staff wrap // Staff head

The Updated Staff is always modded : Staff head // Staff wrap

In my opinion the code/script that updated the attribute-specific HSR into a global HSR also had the unintentional side effect to change the mod order of the staves to Staff head // Staff wrap.

How does this help us find other potential prenerfs :

Based on the current pattern we can say that :

* The staves modded Wrap//Head will most likely have a prenerf version modded Head//Wrap

* The staves already modded Head//Wrap or the staves with a duplicate mod (+30hp//+30hp or +5AR//+5AR) most likely won't have a prenerf version with a diff mod order.

Name Campaign Prenerf with a diff mod order
    Gardock's Staff Proph Most likely not
    Ivor's Staff Proph Most likely not
    Bortak's Bone Staff Proph Most likely not
    Galigord's Stone Staff Proph Most likely not
    Vokur's Staff Proph Most likely not
    The Darkwish Faction Most likely not
    Woe Spreader Faction Most likely not
    Amadis' Air Staff Faction Most likely not
    Bazzr's Staff Faction Most likely not
    Ssyn's Staff Faction Most likely not
    Sulmeng's Staff Faction - Low lvl Most likely not
    Miki's Staff Faction - Low lvl Most likely not
    Tin Dao's Staff Faction - Low lvl Most likely not
    Ssuns' Staff Faction Very likely
    Milefaun's Staff Faction Very likely
    Swiftspell's Staff Faction Very likely
    Talous' Staff Faction Very likely
    Arbor's Earth Staff Faction Very likely
    Kunvie's Air Staff Faction Very likely

Edited 2 times, last by Oldschool Cool (September 30, 2021 at 1:07 PM).

• Of course nothing is ever simple with Guild Wars, so here is Part 2 : the edge cases !

As I mentioned earlier not all the original staves were using a 20% attribute specific HSR. Some green staves don't have an HSR but instead have a 20% reduce condition (similar to what could happen on prenerf gold staves) :

- Gorrel's Staff

- Brohn's Staff

- Villnar's Staff

Some other staff do have an HSR and are using an Inherent -20% condition duration (similar to what can happen on OS staves) :

- Gardock Staff

- The Yakslapper

- Ivor's staff

- Fleshweaver

- Willcrusher

Let's take the example of Gorrel Staff :

Original Staff :

From a french website, the picture was uploaded in february 2006 (so before the NF updated).

Updated Staff

Current Staff

How to interpret it :

On side note we can notice is the exact wording on the Original staff is different. Before 2006 the "Reduce X condition by 20%" was called "Fast recovery condition X" and in the same way the "+33% X condition duration" was called "Lengthen condition X". All the text were updated and as far as I can tell this didn't impact the greens in anyway.

With the currently known prenerf we can see the following pattern :

Original Gorrel : Inscription // (Head or wrap) // (Head or wrap) // Inherent

Updated Gorrel : Inscription // Inherent // (Head or wrap) // (Head or wrap)

Original Brohn : Inscription // (Head or wrap) // (Head or wrap) // Inherent

Updated Brohn : Inscription // Inherent // (Head or wrap) // (Head or wrap)

Original Willcrusher : HSR // Head // Wrap // Inherent

Updated Willcrusher : HSR // Inherent // Head // Wrap

The following staves have prenerf version with a different color but with no stat change :

* Yakslapper : Inherent//HSR//Head//Wrap

We can make the following guess :

- The HSR update seems to have affected all the staves no matter if they actually had an HSR or not (cf. mod order change on Brohn and Gorrel)

- The Inherent and the HSR (or the inscription for the staves that don't have an HSR) are always displayed before the staff Head and Wrap.

How does this help us find other potential prenerfs :

* Gardock's staff, Ivor's Staff, Villnar's staff and Fleshweaver are unlikely to have a prenerf version with a different mod order