Guild Wars Guru- archive down?

• They're aware of it, we haven't actually got any information that they're working on it :P

My thoughts are that they:
    * Got an error with the web server which went down, but this should be an easy fix and could be implemented automatically. Should also be resolved with a server restart.
    This makes this one unlikely.
    * They are performing server maintenance, but an unplanned and unnotified one. It's also taking very long.
    * Something crashed on their server.
    * The forum got hacked (not unlikely, since it's running on a very old version of vBulletin, and vBulletin isn't really a well-written forum: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-…/Vbulletin.html)
    * They shut down the servers on purpose.
    * Something else.

Not going to speculate any further on this, but that's why I think is likely (I'm a sysadmin specialized in Linux, so I have knowledge about these things).

Kev

• /sadpanda
    perhaps whomever was backing it up has done so and can get it up and running so we dont have to rely on curse.

If this is how they're going to do the archive, yeah, better get a backup up and running asap.

• We have some people who have backups. Any idea who?

Let's start getting ready to do it.
    [hr]
    1. Do we have enough bandwidth to host it here?
    2. Do we have any complete backups of the entire site?
    3. What are the legal implications?
    4. Can we make a completely searchable version?
    5. Do we need more personnel to make this happen?

Admins, let's take this discussion to the group chat we are using to make it all work. There is much to be done :D

• I'm going to answer these the best I can...

1. Yes, we have more than enough bandwith to host it here. That's not the issue - the issue would be the size of the website, we don't have enough diskspace for it. I can set up a seperate server, with extra storage, but it would need to be funded by the community every month to stay online. Guild Wars Legacy is running on a server that I also use for other projects, so while income is handy it isn't required. For the archive, that would be required. Last I heard someone had a backup with a size well into 500 GB.
    2. I'm not aware of any full backups - if you do know it, let me know.
    3. Legal implications? Well, if the original content is down, we're just mirroring it. If we listen to takedown requests, we wouldn't do that much wrong.
    Since we're not located in the USA, we're not required to follow the DMCA though (our servers are located in the Netherlands) - we however do need to respect the copyrights.
    4. No, we wouldn't be able to do this. However, we would be able to use a Google Custom search to make it searchable, but it wouldn't be perfect.
    5. We would need more people and money to realize this.

- Kev

• aaaaaaaaaand because you asked for it (and I already basically said the answer ) :

No update. They won't give me a date, unfortunately. They mentioned it had to do with Twitch acquiring Curse and that it will come back up when it comes back up.

yep curse seems to have other things on their plate than getting an ancient archive up and running again....sure hope whomever it was that was backing it up was able to do so since it doesnt look like 'soon' is in their answer.

• And that kind of attitude makes me even gladder that we started Legacy... even though Guru should be seen as lost now, at least we have a site now that's not in Curse it's hands...
    What makes me afraid is that Curse has these Guild Wars sites on their server:
    * GuildWiki (I can't imagine that it's still that popular, with the official Wiki... won't they kill this next?)
    * PvXWiki

Yeah, they kinda lost my faith in them now.

• /sad panda
    I still use their wiki on ocassion--I like the set up better for some of the things, and the armor pages have better photos (ok one of them IS mine :D) usually. I find it easier to look thru their quest lists than the 'official' wiki, etc.

yeah, getting rid of guru kind of hit me pretty hard--I used to set my day around it (gotta remember I started modding on it in 2008, back when the pages took minutes to load!), now even with both legacy and 2 modding takes me a few minutes (wow, used to take that to even load Ventari's sometimes!)

guess I have more time to play guildwars then :P (or get a REAL job like my hubby wants me to---)

• Quote from Khalija

Yes, it will come back. I'm sure we just have to wait until the dust has settled. From what I gather there's a lot of internal organizational stuff going on atm since it just happened.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but even with how poorly Curse have handled things I think considering the Guru archive to be a write off is premature. If it's still not up in two months time then sure, but give them a chance.