Wished for changes and additions for these forums

• Just a quick shout out to the staff, mods and coders here. Thanks for setting this up on such short notice to replace GWG :)

I wanted to start this thread for users to post their suggestions on what can be changed or added for these forums to make them more user friendly or more useful.

To start off, Id like to propose one change and one coding addition;

Black looks really nice, but finding a black field on a black background can be a little difficult sometimes (Such as the thread subject line when currently creating a new thread or registering a new account). Please change all fields where users can enter data to white background with black letters.

My coding suggestion is something I really like in the Wartower forums. The possibility of using BB Code Skills and skillbars which automatically display the skill icons and link to wiki as well as the skill description when you hover over the icons or names with the mouse.
    Finding a download link was pretty hard, but I think this is the one (better off checking it before installing of course ;) );

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gwbbcode/downloads
    Better version in the quote below provided by Vivec :)

http://www.arnapou.net/tech-js/gwbbcode/
    I think this is the most up-to-date gwbbcode out there.
    I wouldn't use the old one that needs php to properly function anymore.

Example of the gwBBcode in action to see what I mean if you haven't used the Wartower forums;

http://www.wartower.de/forum/showthread.php?t=447656

Please post here if you have your own suggestions you would like to see here. Keep in mind however, it is not guaranteed that any or all of these suggestions can be implemented.

• Official Post

Those are all good suggestions! First of all, I'm going to create a suggestions sub-forum!

A new theme is in the works that will fix the black theme. We're going to get a light and dark version soon, but right now the focus is on getting the site running.
    I'll do a quick fix soon though once I can.

I do intend to add gwBBcode soon, but it's on the to-do list once we've got everything set-up. I'll probably have to modify the code to make it work here, but I feel it's more than worth it!

- Kev

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

obey.jpg

• Thanks for the newer version Vivek. Couldnt find that one through a google search (only had the name and not the site where it originated from) where most links lead to GWG or WT and further to a dead site or dead download mirror.

Iaerah: yes, the "Stormcaller" theme is much easier to use... however the black one does look really sleek. :D

• Official Post

guildwarslegacy.com/attachment/9/wow...REALLY like the light color scheme...feels more like our old home guru...sniff....though now the stuff on the bottom left (printer version? is blue on grey--I cant read it at all unless I highlight it, perhaps its just my old eyes, but the intensity needs to be different for it to show up, or a darker shade... I will do a screenie so you see what I see

• Official Post

The stormcaller theme is still a work on progress, LOTS of things have to be done to it still... so it might stop working or it might change completely at once ;). It's my playground!

- Kev

• Official Post

how about an "Asuraportal" to GWSCR?

If you can provide me a link that's relevant to Guild Wars (and not GW2), I'll add it, no problem :)
    Should I for example add this one as a link? http://gwscr.com/forum/viewforu…b1e785b9be10b11

• Official Post

If you can provide me a link that's relevant to Guild Wars (and not GW2), I'll add it, no problem :)
    Should I for example add this one as a link? http://gwscr.com/forum/viewforu…b1e785b9be10b11

Added, though if you are someone associated with that site... we'd love a link back ;)

- Kev

• Official Post

I'd like to ask, can we have a forum dedicated to fan made video's? (Not just streaming)

Thanks!

Hey Alex, I'll add a subforum to the streaming forum for this. I'll also rename Streaming to Streaming and video.

- Kev

• Official Post

I think a custom theme is on the way...

Standby for Kev Teh Dev to update on that.

We're working on this yeah - you can use a basic, more light version of it by selecting the theme 'Stormcaller' in the dropdown at the bottom of the site.
    There's tons of work to do on it though and it's an active work in progress.

- Kev

• We're working on this yeah - you can use a basic, more light version of it by selecting the theme 'Stormcaller' in the dropdown at the bottom of the site.
    There's tons of work to do on it though and it's an active work in progress.

- Kev

Thanks, Stormcaller helps big time. A bit bright but I'll take it over the default and rank it 99% better, heh.

Black backgrounds may seem "cool" in theory but they rarely work well in practice. It is the reason books still print dark on a light background. Our eyes just aren't geared for night vision in the end. Fine as a menu selection but maybe the default should be Stormcaller because I almost didn't come back here after the first look see cause I couldn't read the boards well at all and had no idea I could opt out of the dark on dark on dark look. Only found out cause I asked about it. How many posters do that? First impressions for first time viewers for a new site are important after all.

So now I can finally separate the quotes and the messages and the posters and see the thing as a whole clearly. Now I feel comfortable and at home for the first time. Thanks so very much for replying.

And Kevin not meaning to come down on you. I'm sure some people like black on black. And you have done tons of good work here and in such a short time. Props! And I love Stormcaller!

Edited once, last by Gadd Fan (May 31, 2016 at 11:22 AM).

• Official Post

Thanks, Stormcaller helps big time. A bit bright but I'll take it over the default and rank it 99% better, heh.

Black backgrounds may seem "cool" in theory but they rarely work well in practice. It is the reason books still print dark on a light background. Our eyes just aren't geared for night vision in the end. Fine as a menu selection but maybe the default should be Stormcaller because I almost didn't come back here after the first look see cause I couldn't read the boards well at all and had no idea I could opt out of the dark on dark on dark look. Only found out cause I asked about it. How many posters do that? First impressions for first time viewers for a new site are important after all.

So now I can finally separate the quotes and the messages and the posters and see the thing as a whole clearly. Now I feel comfortable and at home for the first time. Thanks so very much for replying.

And Kevin not meaning to come down on you. I'm sure some people like black on black. And you have done tons of good work here and in such a short time. Props! And I love Stormcaller!

Well, I've been working on a few small tweaks for the forums that should improve the 'read-issues'. The intention is that Stormcaller will get a 'toggle' between a light/dark version, as well as (hopefully) multiple backgrounds. But it's still in a concept phase, and what is online now is just something I quickly hacked together (after our current theme was installed).
    It won't be black on black, but this theme was the best I could find in a short notice ;). It all had to go quite fast. So I hope you'll like Stormcaller when it's finished. I understand that this theme can be quite hard to read... and don't worry, you're quite right to bring this up ;). I want this site to be for all of us!

- Kev

• Stormcaller is actually fine as a theme. The only thing which really needs attention is a minimal colour change for the links at the bottom to give them a contrasting colour to the background (Marked with an arrow in teh screenshot below) and the thread title of a thread in grey ontop of a dark background. Everything else can be easily seen.

FZbDNY0.png

• Official Post

Stormcaller is actually fine as a theme. The only thing which really needs attention is a minimal colour change for the links at the bottom to give them a contrasting colour to the background (Marked with an arrow in teh screenshot below) and the thread title of a thread in grey ontop of a dark background. Everything else can be easily seen.

FZbDNY0.png

I'll try to make some time to make a quick dirty edit to change the colors :)

It would be good if, when on the forum index, you could see the date of the most recent post in each forum without having to mouse over the little clock.

Well, going to add this to the todo list as well ^^

- Kev

• Official Post

as I am not really good with math...the '7 hours ago' thing just doesnt do it for me...I like to know when something was posted..so June 1, 2016 7:01 pm is easier on my old brain than trying to figure out what 7 hours ago was....(and yesterday, today doesnt work so good either...just keep it all by dates then it never has to be changed---june 1 will always be june 1 instead of yesterday or 7 hours ago...much easier :D)

(and yes I have issues with time zones as well....:()

• Official Post

What exactly did you want moved across? In case you missed the news, Guru is being officially archived so all the content there will remain as is rather than being lost forever. You'll be able to refer to them whenever you need, and you can always ask questions here. Carto questions nowadays are pretty much exclusively 'TexMod says I can get this spot but I don't know how' and that's typically easier to answer on a question by question basis rather than searching through other users posts. If there was a sticky containing all of the typically hard to reach places it would be good to move across, but there isn't.

• Official Post

That was what was going to happen. Curse said that they might be able to create an offline archive but that it would not be accessible to users, hence the mad rush to back things up and transfer them elsewhere. Since then however, they've said they can leave Guru in archive mode, leaving the content intact but with users unable to log in/post.

• Post was a mess, so tidying:

[font="Arial"]I'm pleased to see that it looks like we can add sig. pics.. I've missed that elsewhere. I did have one I'd made, but all my chars. look different now, so hope to make another sometime :)[/font]

Ideas I've had for enhancement:

• More obvious, straighforward ability to go into 'advanced' post, once already started 'quick' version (currently deletes if you change?)
    • More/varied smilies would be nice at some point :D
    • Question post icon? [font="Verb,"]✓[/font]
    • Link to gwauctions. Very useful and underused resource.
    • Link to KamChat
    • Link to GWLegacy group pic site..? (See below)

One of my little worries :rolleyes: is that GW will suddenly go 'poooff' and I'll wish I'd taken/saved more pics.. I don't know if there's a shared image site somewhere that gw people already use (found one on flickr but last post was YEARS ago..). Would it be useful/get used..? Pinterest, Flickr, google photos..? Maybe this should be a separate post...?

"Never refuse a gift from someone who can swallow you whole." ~Kuunavang

Edited once, last by honnaja (June 8, 2016 at 9:26 AM).

• Official Post

One more thing - now that Guru will remain in place adding a link to it somewhere (either as a forum redirect or in the handy links section) would be worthwhile.

Once their archive is in place, I'll make sure to add a link.

Yeah, signatures are quite neat ;)!
    As told before, we're currently in the planning stage/designing stage of our new theme. This will take a few months before it's ready... so in the meantime, I'm going to provide another (LIGHT) theme. I'll install it in the evening. I'll let you guys decide which one we'll use as our default.
    Because of several edits on our site (like the skillbars BB-code), it's not as easy as just installing it - I need to make some manual edits.

And I agree, more smilies! I'll make sure to make some time soon to add some new ones.

Those links you sent are indeed all very handy, but for example, the KamChat is already linked ;). It's a seperate board which will port you to the Kamadan Trade Chat. I'll add GwAuctions soon too, as it's indeed a handy resource.

One of the things I would really like to provide is a gallery, and it's something which is on my to-do list. A game as beautiful as this one really deserves it, so I'll make sure that we'll get a nice place to put screenshots :). It's a lot of work to implement that though, so... other priorities first ;).

Among other things I need to do are (just a small list so I can remember it ;)).
    * Put a link to our Facebook group, make our Discord channel a bit more visible, set up a donation page/system (so we can stay ad-less), edit the current theme to remove the shadow effect on text in the edit box,...

And now... let's keep the fight going!

- Kev

• Official Post

saw the new osmium....do NOT like it ....I tried to view it...its wider than my screen and when I went to move to the rest of the screen---its just a big grey nothing! (even reloading the page did not change that). AND I couldnt find a way to go back (the drop down for it--was in the grey area, or just not there at all!)....er, so PASS on that one, stormcaller has my vote.

• 1. GWBBcode
    So as this BBcode stuff is pretty outdated, I can help you update it from the paw·ned² resources. I just need to know what format it has right now.

2. My stuff
    Fell free to link to the stuff I made: Ladder website, Build Wars Memorial and paw·ned². I might open a support thread here for people to ask questions on it.

3. Quick reply
    Can you remove the text shadow from the quick reply box? And change the font to match the other fonts here?
    /Edit: Applies for quick edit was well.

4. Header
    Header image is too small on 2560-width monitors. CSS3 offers the "cover" keyword for this.

5. Quotes
    If you ask me, the header of the quote box is too bright and the text too dark.

Edited once, last by Redeemer (June 9, 2016 at 8:30 PM).

• 2. My stuff
    Fell free to link to the stuff I made: Ladder website, Build Wars Memorial and paw·ned². I might open a support thread here for people to ask questions on it.

3. Quick reply
    Can you remove the text shadow from the quick reply box? And change the font to match the other fonts here?
    /Edit: Applies for quick edit was well.

5. Quotes
    If you ask me, the header of the quote box is too bright and the text too dark.

Cool stuff Redeemer. What a productive soul you (and your friends) are :) I notice that you can share builds on you-pawned. Is that accessible elsewhere, or only with the download? Also, can you see other builds, like as if you're looking for a good build for something in particular on pvxwiki (which isn't updated much now..?) or is it only if someone specifically shares with you?

/agree re. the text shadow (though only just realised that's what someone meant before. I would have just called it 'fuzzy' lol

/agree also re. the quote header. Kpow! :o Although I like the quote itself being darker..

I'm using revolution btw. However, when I clicked 'quote', then 'reply' I now appear to be in a WHITE mode (Osmium?) <dons shades>. Hopefully it will revert after I've posted, 'though the new tab I just opened seems to be 'stuck' in Osmium... <scrolls across the screen> :rolleyes:
    <goes off to find the theme-selector>

^..^

EDIT: Nope, stuck :(
    <knocks>
    Waaa.. Let me out...
    :P

"Never refuse a gift from someone who can swallow you whole." ~Kuunavang

Edited once, last by honnaja (June 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM).

• you·pawned uploads used to be accessible on GWCom.de and a mobile app (paw·ned delta - meaning DOM-based extended local teambuild app) only, but no longer is as the site is defunct now. I need to move quite some stuff once I get it. Skill updates and large skill icons are still hosted by GWCom.de, but that part fully works right now (it was down for some weeks at the end of 2015).

There are plans for a large paw·ned² update in 2016. Some things added in the GW2 app would be nice to have:
    - centralized skill update system
    - youpawned download in-app (as well as a website to view them, which does not exist in pawned42) using a code
    - build codes embedded in image metadata
    - actual drag and drop
    - Unicode support

Also, some new features people have been asking for:
    - cons
    - multi-build export
    - fastcast calculation for 3/2 second skills

• Official Post

I've reset your theme to revolution ;).

Hi Redeemer!
    The GWBB code that we use comes from http://gwbbcode.arnapou.net. It's 100% pure JavaScript and it has been working quite well (apart from me having to add it manually to each theme). If you have another, better solution, I would love to hear it.
    I like your build ladder! Very handy and I agree that there should be a link to it (added it to my to-do). I'll also add links to your buildwars and paw-ned once I'm home and I've got time for it (weekends are GF time :P).

I haven't really got the time to fix the text shadow yet, but it's very high on my todo list and it should be fixed in the next few days. I agree that changing the fonts would be a good idea, so I'll make sure to do that too.

I'll take a look to change the header, so it will fix the issue.

Well, while typing I already found some time to do the CSS changes...

I'll take a look at the quotes later.

It might be a good idea to work together Redeemer for your projects (if you would want to) - feel free to send me a PM! ^^

- Kev

• Greath work you have been doing on that app... however... are you really sure that you want to choose that exact name for a GW game related app? Just saying becasue it does sound like a slightly "different" website name there... :heart: ;) :heart:

Of course I am. There was an early concept art for that feature's logo that also looked quite similar to that site's name. The name exists since early 2009 and the feature was added in 2009 I think. So it's not new. It's just not working anymore as the backend is missing.

• This shit is entirely unmaintable and bugged. Holy fuck. Also, it's full of french stuff:
    [empty]

The first build example on the website produces an invalid template code (actually, any code generated by the script doesn't work I think). Do people even test their stuff? Also, there are some CSS classes that are never used, e.g. the popups should have watermarks with the profession icon. The actual CSS classes use the full profession names, the ones in the file use the short ones.

Why is the skill type given twice? Why is the exhaustion always 1 (even thought it should have been 10 at that time)? Why is upkeep not negative?

I'm currently doing a complete redesign to match this site's design. Because losing the old pictures from GWCom would be bad if that site disappears, I'm using some of them.

With my update, support for stuff like ["kilroy stonekin!"] will go away. I will create the database for only the player skills.