3D Printing

• As a design engineer I have access to a 3D printer and have a growing interest in this. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience or interest in 3D modelling and 3D printing.

I'd also like to know if anyone has any Guild Wars related CAD models. I'd particularly like to print a Crude Shield!

Always blame the Monk.

• Interesting! I think I did see this a while ago! I wonder how they got the 3D file of their character... any ideas?

Failing any exportation of files directly from GW I can attempt to model items myself. The software I use isn't particularly friendly towards organic shapes so it may take a while though!

Always blame the Monk.

• I extracted the model using this as a guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guild…_now_you_can_tootutorial/

The models aren't designed for 3D printing though. For example the spikes on the elementalists primeval armor are actually two joined triangular spikes. Those are a real pain to print. Also much of the details is just painted on the models with textures.

I also extracted the Eternal Shield and extruded the texture.

• The modelling has begun! I decided to do it myself for the challenge and because I wasn't entirely happy with the level of detail from the exported models Marv pointed us too.
    I'm using software which is much more engineering related as a pose to animation/modelling so it's proving a little more difficult but I'm hoping the results will be pretty good!

Always blame the Monk.

• Ok so I'm willing to add an update to this as I'm finally starting to be happy with the outcome. Here's a couple shots of the model I've made. So far I've only been able to do the basic structure, there is a lot more detailing to do and also figure out what to do on the rear, but progress is being made!

I'm sure there are people who have considerably more experience in modelling these kinds of things but I'm happy so far and hopefully it will be viable for 3D Printing!

Always blame the Monk.

• It's been a while but the shield is progressing. I'm enjoying the challenge of modelling it and thinking I might have to model a sword/axe to go with it, suggestions are welcome! (Not an FDS, please not an FDS)

Anyway, here's an update on the shield! If anyone has any experience in modelling and CAD I'm at over 100 features to create this model. Still some of the harder detailing left to do as well.

Crude_Shield_CAD.jpg

Always blame the Monk.

• A crude shield would best go with a core/proph skin - for a sword I'd say a Falchion/Scimitar, Flamberge, or Gladius, and for an axe I'd say a Hand Axe, Sephis Axe, or Spiked Axe.

Also, how big will this be when printed? Life size would be awesome, but I imagine it'd be smaller.

d78dd1d.jpg

• So many good options, from a 3d perspective, I think the Wingblade/Butterfly Sword skin would be cool. For Axe, I would vote for Sephis Axe.

My Legacy Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• All excellent suggestions, thank you guys! I'm a big fan of the Summit Axe. I will have a look through all the above and keep thinking. Still plenty of work to do on the shield so I've got time to make a decision. Who knows, maybe I'll start modelling them all!

Erm at the moment the model is around 80-90mm wide. It's possible to scale it up or down but I think I'd be happy with it around that size. I'm gonna have to see what the quality is like following the first print.

Always blame the Monk.