• Hi folks,

since I'm collecting all Oldschool Swords with all inherent mods q9-q13, I obviously need Sunqua Blades as well. I know that they drop on the Tutorial Island in Cantha, but Chestrunning there is kinda tedious. I know that there are some q8 max dmd Sunquas around and I believe there are no enemies on the tut-island with the correct level-requirement.

So my question would be: Can Sunqua Blades drop outside of the Tut-Island, and if yes where? If not, where did those q8 Sunquas come from? Are they prenerf or still dropable? Is there a certain quest that spawns enemies who drop Sunqua Blades? I don't intend to farm for q8 versions of this Sword but I hope for a nice Farming Spot in HM to get those mods i need.

Maybe someone of you can enlighten me :)

Cheers

• You don't have to chest run for getting these, I got 5 sunqua blades by farming on noob island yesterday. Just get your best solo farm build and give it a go.

Beside, if you need any kind of sunqua blade, let me know, I'm farming quite often on noob island so I stumble upon alot and usually salvage them...

• There also are max q7 Sunqua blades excisting, i allways though q7/8 max sunqua dropped from mantids or chests near them in kaineing city, that i dont know if that was changed at some point? i know many farm the mantids outside nahpui tho without having seen any, are the mantids in xaquang skyway different from those?

For q9-13 Sunqua's tho, well there are some chest runs like sunqua vale thatre fine imo, but best is just farm anything in shing jea (there are ton of farms like naga caves, kappas, mantids, feather farm ) that drop ton of sunqua blades, hence they rly arent rare at all.

I've also noticed that afflicked foes in shing jea drop white sunqua blades atleast, there are some lvl18 bosses in Zen daijun mission, could those drop q8 sunqua blades in gold?

• As for q8 sunquas, wiki might hold the answer to that:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ziinjuu_Life_Crawler

It's level in HM is put as 20 on wiki. Might be a wiki mistake, or it really was 20 at some point, allowing it to drop q8 sunquas for a window of time before changing it to what it really is now (26 or 28 l think?)

Well q8 (and even q7) sunqua blades excisted right after factions Release, year before HM was added to gw, so there mustve been normal Mode sources

• Afaik Kaineng mantids have the celestial drop set, which doesn’t include sunqua blades - correct me if I’m wrong. To me it would be strange to differentiate between the wajjun bazaar and xaquang skyway mantids, but maybe we just have to prove this out.

Could vizunah square be the place? That contains shing jea afflicted, which do drop sunqua blades, and iirc those afflicted drop the lower level collectibles not putrid cysts? If a canthan chest can spawn off them, then you would get gold max dmg sunquas there? Those chests would be lvl20. R8 and r7 sunquas were pretty rare in comparison to other canthan swords, and everyone in the game has passed through this mission, so the idea that these drop from an obscure mob/chest combination in a common area isn’t ridiculous to me.

Since r7 exist it has to be somewhere in kaineng, barring a drop of extreme rarity from a lvl18 boss on shing jea. R7 never dropped in jade sea or echovald I think.

Do sunquas drop from forbidden chests? If so the other place would be sunjiang, which presumably dropped the r7 gpbs

• Am pretty positive sunquas only drop on noob island, nowhere else.

Afflicted don't drop them for sure on noob island, except white.

On noob island if you drop a gold from a plagueborn it will be a plagueborn weapon. ( they cant even drop gold armor on noob island anywhere, they dont have the minimum level in nm except some boss) we done xxx runs in zen daijun i can testify :p

My best guess is that sunqua q8q7 (used to ?) probably drop only from some boss on noob island.

Is there a naga boss lvl 18 ? I think miki is lvl 18 ?

So basically sunqua q8 are very fucking rare.

• The naga on the little island is lvl 16; baozo Mesmer boss is also 16; miki is lvl 14.

Only lvl 18 foes anywhere on noob island are yijo and the afflicted kana, right at the end of a mission no less.

Not saying you’re wrong but only dropping from 2 enemies in the game is a whole new level of rare!

Edit: the Bog Beast of Bokku is level 17, so there are 3 foes that could have dropped r7 or r8 max sunqua blades on shing jea. I guess these 3 enemies will have been killed a fair amount back in 2006, so a very small number of the isn’t impossible. I still feel there’s more to this though.

Edited once, last by Jonast (June 22, 2021 at 8:32 PM).

• Re Jonast

Maybe for a period of time sunqua used to drop out of noob island ? It's possible but i dont know. I dont think so tho, would be weird to modify the drop location of an item, everything prenerf is related to stats/icons/names.. from my knowledge.

Nowadays they for sure don't drop out of noob island at least we can say so seeing the amount of chest run every one did on this website :D

Both the afflicted even if lvl 18 dont drop them for sure also.

Am thinking that in the explorable area of zendaijun, there is a few stone Kirin tho, they drop sunqua and all basic skins. But they aren't lvl 17-18 am pretty sure.

I guess maybe bogs beast is the one who dropped them ? I guess there is very very less sunqua q7-8, maybe less than crystallines ? (Lul :p )

There is maybe more to this, maybe mobs level have been change ? Lul intresting mystery tho.

• I agree it would be weird to change drop tables - although things like resto req staves got removed somewhere after factions release so not unprecedented.

Also, it’s quite clear from the rheas crater chest data that not all skins that drop from a chest can drop in gold. So I get what you’re saying about afflicted, just because they drop white sunquas doesn’t mean they drop gold.

Yeah Bokku is definite possibility, and in all likelihood did drop at least one, but it would still be disgustingly rare. Maybe Pleikki can help us to understand how many r7/r8 sunquas there are, roughly.

Mantids, yetis, naga all exist on the mainland - my last vague recollection was that someone said sunquas could drop in luxon areas but I thought that had been debunked by now. Certainly the idea that a sunqua will fall out of pongmei is proven to be a ridiculous assertion given how many chest runs happen there.

Did the OS HoH chest drop canthan skins?

Where do canthan crude axes drop outside shing jea? I defo associate them with the noob island, if the do drop on the mainland perhaps sunquas drop there too.

• Crude axes dont drop elsewhere, max versions didnt excist before hard Mode. Same for canthan serpent axe.

For q7/8 sunqua especially these days they are extreamly rare, back in day i saw 4-5 q7 sunqua, q8s there were dozens like any canthan q8 swords..

I personally think its a change in some drop tables, there seemed to be few of them

• The wikis list shing jea wildlife as drop source, whose only member in the lvl 17-21 range (needed for q8 max nowaday or q7 back in the day - so lvl 15/16 won't help) is the bog beast (according to wiki). So far I didn't get one drop there - even though I did just a hand full of runs since it is terribly slow. Ironically I had a sunqua from a dragon lilly right next to it in my firat run :D

Secondly two wikis list luxon chests as source. Whilst that doesn't generate max q8s that means that some mob nearby would be able to drop one - I didn't check what mob that'd be or what level they are, nor if it is true after all. Nice topic :)

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• Almost certain that the Naga in the cave on noob Island would be your best bet (and just generally a good place to farm). I can't remember what town it's outside of but I'm sure one of the guys who still play could tell you.

I think sunqua blade is in the jade brotherhood/am fah drop table, so if you run dragons throat you might find a q8 one after a million chests. AFAIK the drop table between early factions and late factions main island changes, so running jade brotherhood at matuu keep won't work.

The tengu drop them too where people normally feather farm. Do that in HM with SOS or something and your bound to come across them between the drops and chests.

I haven't played for a couple years so I cannot say these things for certain, but I have a horrible knack for remembering the most useless information, and it all relates to guild wars 😂😂

• If Luxon chests do drop them then that would be the source of the r8s of yesteryear in all likelihood: but like I say above I thought this was debunked as an assumption based on the way the skin looks. The nagas in jade sea wield all sorts of canthan swords but I have never seen them with a sunqua for example.

R7 never dropped from 600g canthan chests tho - those must be from kaineng or shing jea unless I have my facts wrong here. Like r7 outcast shields don’t exist, right?

I’m quite interested in all these drop table change suggestions, I literally thought it was one mob type = one drop table. There are some weird exceptions (e.g getting an SSS is possible in northern shiverpeaks HM, but not SWS?), but I think north and south stone summit are considered different groups (level and skills are different). Perhaps the same is true of bukdek byway vs pongmei valley jade brotherhood, but in this case the npcs are the same level and have the same skills. The chests are even the same type. A weird distinction if true. Afflicted in echovald don’t drop amber weapons, do they?

I sooort of don’t think it’s jade brotherhood and am fah - just a feeling really. I just think I would have seen a white one drop in all my time playing, or one in the hand of a jade brotherhood warrior (they wield swords occasionally). The am fah warrior boss does drop a sunqua blade green, but the sskai’s sword is a wicked blade, which drops in echovald, so the logic follows that this is irrelevant.

This xaquang skyway mantids idea might have merit if we can prove they don’t drop celestial weapons.

• Official Post

My opinion of low req sunqua are the following sources: A few aforementioned shing jea bosses. Dragon festival 2006 only as it had actual uw mobs with uw drops/cantha. Cantha headstart event that had some tyrian mobs with mixed drops. On the luxon side of things I have never seen proof but if I were a betting man I would guess the luxon criminals faction farm. I can't think of the name but kurzick side equivalent is duel of the houses. Those guys are level 20 even today. They were farmed hard for faction when people cared and their drop table is interesting from my limited farming.

Any of these locations could be possible if you throw in something like guardian of the hunt rarity it would be easy to miss. The q7 part is nearly for sure dead but I can't prove or confirm but I swear q7 use to be a drop from lvl 16 foes super early on.