Chests with Q8 Max Drop Possibilities

• Just to be sure: do i have to run these treasure chests in NM or HM for q8 chance?

Istan - Issnur Isles - Buried Treasure - Yes - Updated 1/12/18
    Istan - Mehtani Keys - Treasure Chest - Yes - Updated 1/12/18

Great Question, I will update the original post with a note on this.

I have always believed there was no impact, I run in NM as it is quicker, but I just looked at the Treasure Wiki Page and it does have the following

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Treasure

Hard mode does not appear to affect the values.

These 2 Treasure chests have been confirmed to have Q8s drop (personally I have gotten a few q8 11-21 staves and a q8 15-21 sword, but others have gotten max swords and shields).

I still check the Kournan chests myself as they are still considered unconfirmed. However, even though the Kournan chests can drop Q8s, it does appear that the Kournan Treasures are too high of a level for Q8s. A chest has to be able to drop items with a unid value of 32g or 33g to drop Q8s (with the exception of Q8 11-21 Staves, these have strange requirements) ( Red Fireball can confirm if there are other unid values).

With that being said, you can only get an item from a treasure chests once a month per character, but I have also noticed that if you try immediately after a month, you may only get gold, so I generally wait 2 months. If you have 8 chars on one account who have access to Istan Island, you can have 16 tries every couple months.

Good Luck!!

Chevy

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• couple of questions

I noticed that Cantha chests from inside city did not count towards my treasure hunter title, but chests after the ascension mission did count.

Also I am coming back to the game and looking to get back into my favorite thing, CHEST RUNNING! Any suggestions for the most profitable spot to run? I prefer oldschool drops.

• couple of questions

I noticed that Cantha chests from inside city did not count towards my treasure hunter title, but chests after the ascension mission did count.

Also I am coming back to the game and looking to get back into my favorite thing, CHEST RUNNING! Any suggestions for the most profitable spot to run? I prefer oldschool drops.

Welcome back!!

Regarding Chests that count towards title, the rule of thumb is chests that have a key that costs 600g or more count. As a result, the actual canthan chests won't count unless using a lockpick in HM.

You will find a list of those chests at the following

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Treasure_Hunter

As far as chest running options, you can breeze some of the posts and feedback (not just limited to those options) provided in the Chestrunning section of this forum, lots of good options and input.

Chest running

It really comes down to preference. Since you mentioned OS drops, that will keep bring you to Prophecies or Factions. If you are looking for Q8s (Swords (nearly impossible but possible), Shields and Foci are the remaining options for max Q8 purple and golds), any of the chests listed on this thread specifically in NM will get you that chance, the skin will be dependent on your preference.

The more value item but not easy to get is a nice OS Magmas Shield from Hells' Precipice in HM. Some good stuff has been coming out of there lately.

With all of that in mind, it's all down to preference. If you provide some skins that you are looking for, folks here can provide some suggestions to help narrow it down for you.

Good Luck!!

Chevy

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• As chest runners is there a particular location that is high in chests or has a high drop of armor mods from chests? I started collecting matching books unsalvaged armor mods that match in some way like a survivor's armor of superior vigor and would like to find a good way to get armor mods to help with this new collection.

• You ask, I will try to deliver.

The following is data from my personal tracking. I have sorted it by highest % of armor. Keep in mind that the number of chests tracked per run differs, and there are separate stats for HM vs NM as these can be easily altered by HM having tomes.

I included the overall Armor Drop Rate for HM vs NM so that you can compare the % of armor for the individual locations.

Armor Chance Armor Pieces # of Chests
    Overall CR HM 21.9% 1,177 5374
    Overall CR NM 18.6% 2,222 11917
    Bukdek Byway -CR- NM 38.4% 117 305
    Tascas Demise -CR-HM 37.0% 61 165
    Nahpui Quarter -CR- NM 35.3% 106 300
    Wajjun Bazaar -CR- NM 34.1% 99 290
    Dreadnoughts Drift-CR-HM 33.3% 65 195
    Shadows Passage Fac -CR-NM 32.5% 26 80
    Ice Caves of Sorrow Mis-CR-HM 31.6% 97 307
    Gandara, the Moon Fortress-CR- NM 31.3% 127 406
    Icedome-Proph-CR-HM 31.0% 139 449
    The Undercity -CR- NM 29.6% 477 1612
    Silverwood -Proph-CR-NM 29.4% 5 17
    Dejarin Estate-NF CR-NM 29.0% 95 328
    Sunward Marches -NF CR NM 28.9% 13 45
    Elona Reach -Proph -CR- NM 28.9% 366 1268
    Sunjiang District Fac-CR-NM 28.6% 147 514
    Turais Procession -NF CR NM 28.4% 73 257
    The Undercity -CR- HM 27.7% 176 635
    Tangle Root -Proph-CR-NM 27.6% 16 58
    Bahdok Caverns -NF CR NM 27.2% 147 540
    Hell's Precipice -CR- HM 26.7% 460 1725
    Arkjok Ward -NF-CR-NM 26.6% 21 79
    Pongmei Valley Fac-CR-HM 25.7% 9 35
    Rheas Crater-Fac-CR-HM 24.4% 21 86
    Grenths Footprint -CR-HM 22.1% 101 456
    Pongmei Valley Fac-CR-NM 20.1% 199 992
    Marga Coast -NF CR-NM 18.0% 31 172
    Ring of Fire Mis-Proph-CR-HM 11.5% 6 52
    Barbarous Shore NF-CR- NM 11.4% 79 690
    Jahai Bluffs -NF-CR-NM 10.3% 3 29
    Silent Surf Fac-CR-HM 8.7% 28 323
    Ettins Back -Proph CR-NM 6.7% 8 119
    Skyward Reach Proph-CR-NM 5.7% 6 106
    The Scar Proph- CR-NM 5.6% 11 197
    Dry Top-Proph CR-NM 4.0% 15 371
    Vulture Drifts Proph-CR-NM 3.6% 26 717
    The Falls -Proph CR-NM 2.8% 5 180
    Xaquang Skyway -CR- HM 2.6% 14 542
    Xaquang Skyway -CR- NM 1.3% 4 316
    Raisu Palace -CR- HM 0.0% - 349
    Ascalon Foothills -CR-HM 0.0% - 55
    Reed Bog-Proph -CR- NM 0.0% - 711
    Mamnoon Lagoon -Proph CR-NM 0.0% - 483
    Sage Lands -Proph CR-NM 0.0% - 346
    Diviners Ascent Proph-CR-NM 0.0% - 202
    Prophets Path Proph- CR-NM 0.0% - 121

• you sir are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you so very much!

Looks like it's off to bukdek anyway for me!

You're welcome! That run has a lot of armor but in NM, you also have chances for some descent Q8 skins (Swords, shields, focus only). Make sure you remember who shared this when you get a q8 Jitte or Dusk Blade hehe jk.

Good luck!

Chevy

• That run has a lot of armor but in NM, you also have chances for some descent Q8 skins (Swords, shields, focus only). Make sure you remember who shared this when you get a q8 Jitte or Dusk Blade hehe jk.

Good luck!

Chevy

does Napui Quarter have same q8 drop rates?

Or is bukdek do better? I know both are canthan chests but not sure if celestial items change the drop rate.

• does Napui Quarter have same q8 drop rates?

Or is bukdek do better? I know both are canthan chests but not sure if celestial items change the drop rate.

It sure does, it's all about the level chest and if a skin can drop from it. All Canthan Chests have a chance of dropping a q8 in NM, each location will differ in what it drops for skins (generally based on the surrounding enemy). With that in mind, it's all personal preference. I only mentioned Jitte or Dusk Blade as those would be super rare. Celestials likely have a higher chance (keep in mind it is still low chances either way).

• does Napui Quarter have same q8 drop rates?

It just dawned me that your reference of Napui was the mission with celestials, the stats above for my chest runs will be the explorer area from from Senji's Corner, this is full of Am Fah and Jades. Sorry for the confusion.

• Hey,

did some Sorrow's Furnance - Kilroy Research

NM Second chest can drop q8

kO7J3Lb.jpg

Hey,

Unfortunately Staves are on a very odd loot scale when it comes to their requirement. You can get Q8 11-21 staves from HM Lockchests as well. Unfortunately, that would be the only item that would be hard to judge the q8 possibilities by. The true chest would be if the chest drops a max dmg item and the unid value is 31-33g, that alone is a sign that the Q8 max weapon chances are there.

I will defer this to the drop calculation expert to confirm I didn't mis-speak. Red Fireball

• Agent Chevy

my bad forgot about that it should be max aswell :D||

Since im trying to achieve a q8 crysta drop Ill let you know if there will be any max drop in one of those chests

Please do! Good Luck! And since you are after Q8 Crystas, I will take any Q8 Magmas, Eternals, Q8 6-27 Dwarvens, 6-27 Krytan Axe, 6-27 Serpent Axe, or 18-34 Dwarven Hammers that you drop since they are not your focus hehe :P

• Does kilroys just drop a random anything tyrian then?

There is a wide variety of skins that these drops. I use to track these at one point for data collection, of 330 chests, there were 139 skins, and I know it is not limited to these either. I didn't get an eternal Shield, Eternal Bow, Dwarven Axe, etc while tracking but have gotten these. Here is all the skins I tracked. I apologize if there is any duplicates due to spelling differences.

Abbot's Robes Earth Scroll Jeweled Staff (Metal) Stone Summit Shield
    Accursed Icon (Diamond) Earth Staff (Crystallized) Justiciar's Armor Storm Artifact
    Accursed Staff Earth Wand Krytan Axe Summit Hammer
    Aegis Ettin's Pauldron Long Sword Sycophant's Robes
    Air Staff Executioner's Breastplate Longbow Tall Shield
    Air Staff (Lightning Spire) Feathered Longbow Losaru Bladehand Armor Tengu Armor
    Air Staff (Normal) Fellblade Losaru Lifeband Robes Tengu Robes
    Air Wand Fiery Dragon Sword Losaru Windcaster Robes Titan Armor
    Arcanist Wrappings Fire Staff Magmas Shield Torn Robes
    Ash Fiend Tappings Fire Staff (Core) Mursaat Garments Truncheon
    Avicara Ardent Robes Fire Wand Necrid Robes War Axe
    Avicara Brave Armor Flamberge Phantasmal Armor War Hammer (Lion)
    Avicara Guile Tunic Flame Artifact Piercing Axe War Hammer (Spiked)
    Avicara Wise Attire Flame Wielder Trappings Priest's Robes Water Staff
    Axe Fiend Armor Flatbow Protective Icon Water Staff (Core)
    Battlepick Ghostly Staff Recurve Bow Water Wand
    Beastmaster Harness Giant Slayers Hammer Reinforced Buckler White Reaver
    Bloddstained Jerkin Giant's Boots Righteous Hammer Wooden Buckler
    Bone Staff Gladius Ritulatist's tunic Zealot's Armor
    Broken Armor Grawl Elementalist Gear Round Shield  
    Brute Sword Grawl Mesmer Gear Scimitar  
    Cane Grawl Necromancer Gear Seared Breastplate  
    Centaur Harness Grawl Shaman Gear Seeker's Vest  
    Chaos Axe Great Axe Sephis Axe  
    Composite Bow Grim Cesta Serpent Axe (Tyrian)  
    Crystalline Sword Half Moon Shadow Bow  
    Cursebearer Wrappings Hand Axe Shadow Shield  
    Dead Staff Healing Ankh Shadow Staff  
    Deadly Cesta Heavy Tengu Armor Shaman Garb  
    Divine Symbol Holy Rod Shiverpeak Bladehand Armor  
    Dolyak Cladding Holy Staff Shiverpeak Elementalist Robes  
    Dredge Bracer Hornbow (Dragon) Shiverpeak Lifeband Robes  
    Dredge Harness Hornbow (Mursaat) Shiverpeak Necromance Tunic  
    Dwarven Armor Idol Shiverpeak necromancer Tunic  
    Dwarven Hammer Idol (Hand) Shiverpeak Windcaster Robes  
    Dwarven Howler Outfit Inscribed Chakram Shortbow  
    Dwarven Robes Inscribed Staff Skeleton Shield  
    Dwarven Sage Outfit Jade Gorget Smiting Rod  
    Dwarven Scout Armor Jeweled Chakram Smiting Staff  
    Dwarven Warrior Armor Jeweled Chalice Stalker Armor  

Edited once, last by Agent Chevy (July 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM).

• Hey,

Unfortunately Staves are on a very odd loot scale when it comes to their requirement. You can get Q8 11-21 staves from HM Lockchests as well. Unfortunately, that would be the only item that would be hard to judge the q8 possibilities by. The true chest would be if the chest drops a max dmg item and the unid value is 31-33g, that alone is a sign that the Q8 max weapon chances are there.

I will defer this to the drop calculation expert to confirm I didn't mis-speak. Red Fireball

ANY item of 31-34g value would do the trick - or ANY q8 item from the chest (apart from a staff as mentioned) (which will mean it's in the specifiead unid value range... - the unid value would be the more general and thus more often often happening thing, whilst the q8 would be the more noticeable - I doubt many ppl apart from me would carry all their drops unid to a merchant sorted by their drop location to see their unid values...)

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• ANY item of 31-34g value would do the trick - or ANY q8 item from the chest (apart from a staff as mentioned) (which will mean it's in the specifiead unid value range... - the unid value would be the more general and thus more often often happening thing, whilst the q8 would be the more noticeable - I doubt many ppl apart from me would carry all their drops unid to a merchant sorted by their drop location to see their unid values...)

Thanks Red! You weren’t the only one tracking their unid values during 2019, after logging 17k chest items I finally took a break from doing that step, this way I can run more and get disappointed quicker that my drops are crap hehe.

• As chest runners is there a particular location that is high in chests or has a high drop of armor mods from chests? I started collecting matching books unsalvaged armor mods that match in some way like a survivor's armor of superior vigor and would like to find a good way to get armor mods to help with this new collection.

I have found an INSANE amount of Gold Armors in the 1st Canthan Chest in Budek Byway (Plagueborn farm) just today alone I have run over 200 keys (running dual accounts) and dropped 10 Gold OS Plagueborn Shields and probably 80 or more Armors. I highly suggest starting there.

As for the shield drop ratio, I began to estimate it is somewhere around 1 Shield every 20 keys - give or take.

1 Q9

9 Q10-13

Only one of which was dual mod.

I will continue to run this chest over the next week as frequently as I can until my brain turns to mush. If there are any specific armor combos youre looking for, let me know and I'll try to set it aside if i come across it.

**Side bar**

If you happen to farm Plagueborn shields and not in the market to ID and keep them yourself, I will take the gamble and buy the UNID Shields for all req!

Edited once, last by SoloMentality (August 29, 2020 at 8:37 PM).

• Nightfall Treasure Chests - To be Updated

I had a Req 8 Str Ar 15 Gold Sun and Moon Shield come out of the treasure chest in the Mehtani Keys a while ago, not sure if this indicates that r8 ar 16 could drop but figured it was worth mentioning

Sun-and-Moon.png

Ign: Signorio Milsror

Buying OS shields with +21, +31, +41, or +51 health, just shoot me a message!

• Nightfall Treasure Chests - To be Updated

I had a Req 8 Str Ar 15 Gold Sun and Moon Shield come out of the treasure chest in the Mehtani Keys a while ago, not sure if this indicates that r8 ar 16 could drop but figured it was worth mentioning

Sun-and-Moon.png

Very nice to see!

I do have the Treasure Chests in Issnur Isles and Mehtani Keys showing as Q8 confirmed as of 1/12/18, however after reading that section, it is a little confusing cause I have NM showing as needs updating but then the actual details per treasure chest under HM. As far as I know, NM vs HM are the same for treasure chests. I will clean this up so it isn't so confusing.

If I remember correctly, the 2 items I have heard to drop as q8 max from treasure chests in Istan is the Adamantine Shield and Adamantine Falchion (I got a q8 15-21 Falchion myself but someone else did get a max).

• Red dropped q8 Eagle defender from treasure few years back too, Lotus shields, eagle defenders and shields of the lion seem to be the most common ones dropping from treasures afaik.

This reminds me should raid some treasures sometime with time, would they can drop all sort of fun things

• Best way to reach Chevy is this thread :D

Am just gonna ask out here, but it s not q8 related but more q3-4-5-6 related

Is it possible to drop gold q3-4 in faction chests ? If yes where or like what level have to be the mobs or what kind of chest ?

Thanks !

No it is not, since after shing jea chests it go directly to 450g canthan chests.

q3 drops only from lvl12 foes or chests, lvl12 chests do not excist so q3 cant drop from chests.

q4 golds you can get from krytan chests only, thatre lvl15 i think

Edited once, last by Pleikki: fixed (December 21, 2020 at 5:13 PM).

• I ditto Pleikki's feedback.

Unfortunately Q3 golds can only be obtained by a drop from a lvl 12 foe, no chests.

• No it is not, since after shing jea chests it go directly to 450g canthan chests.

q3 drops only from lvl12 foes or chests, lvl12 foes or chests do not excist so q3 cant drop from chests.

Pleikki at least elaborate details.

First off:

Saying ( lvl12 foes or chests do not excist so q3 cant drop from chests. ) is cleary the wrong information and you should be ashamed of yourself, You have been around long enough to know better.

Secondly:
    Ill re answer for a clearer example.

• Yes, there are many level 12 Foes on Shing Jea Island.
    • Yes, q3 Golds drop on Shing Jea Island by level 12 foes Only.
    • Yes Shing Jea Chests can only contain an uncommon (purple) item.
    • Yes, Shing Jea chests can drop q3 purples.

Links: and Useful information

Level 12 foes in Shing Jea,

Locked Chests & Chest Keys.

Edited 2 times, last by TiniWeni: Updated Shing Jea level 12 foe list. (December 23, 2020 at 2:31 PM).

• The original question has been answered (factions chests cannot drop q3 golds), so can I ask a related question:

Krytan chests do indeed drop q4 max golds, therefore they must be lvl12-14. But which level are they exactly? (Perhaps someone can post a list of all chest levels so we can get an idea of drop possibilities from Red's tables?) (sorry to continue this off-topic line, Chevy... if there is another thread about this, I'll take this post there)

>WTB< | ign Adanel Jade

• I didn't catch the wording mistake from Pleikki and even ditto'd as I understood what he meant, and always assume positive intent on a wording error as it isn't as malicious as sometimes things can be made out to be. Thank you Pleikki for updating the wording.

There isn't any other post for this discussion at this time as far as I know, it may be necessary to carve this out to keep this thread specific to Q8s, but it's a good topic nevertheless.

I agree that Q4 max golds do drop from Krytan chests, I have a few myself from there. However, I don't believe the chest is going to be level 12-14, maybe 13-14 as a Q3 gold max has never been confirmed here, although if a purple max q3 (other than staff as these have strange drop tables) can be proven to drop from Krytan Chest, a gold one can be probable. If this truly does become the case, it would be the only chest in the game that a gold q3 can drop but I skeptical until proven otherwise :)

So let's strap on our low level chest running geat and pay some Krytan chests a visit 8o