The Legacy District

• So I have been thinking of an idea for a while now. Many of us have played Guild Wars for countless hours and have done all there is to do. Would you restart if you could? I don't just mean making a new character or deleting old ones, but a global reset. My idea is that there is some kind of different mode or district where history resets in GW. (Similar to Hardcore mode on Diablo) This would level the playing field for everyone because everyone would be at the same point. The market would be totally renewed. I don't mean to delete the old GW, but to have 2 different instances of it, kind of like a district. Let me know your thoughts!

Frost

• What would be the goal?

Getting level 20?

Getting titles maxed?

Items only available in this mode that transfer over to the regular servers after the season is done?

The appeal of D2/3 is incentives. First you need incentives as a reward, and then you need an objective to measure success to appoint those incentives.

It is a cute idea but GW has such a broad appeal with broad end game objectives, I feel like it would be hard to implement (ignoring the basics like a brand new server) without alienating certain parts of the player base.

• Official Post

Buying a new account and not going to Kamadan almost has same effect.

There are a lot of people enjoying playing the game back through with no items or money traded down to new characters so that’s happening too.

What reason would there need to be a ‘market’ reset other than to try and make money in a new market.

• I like what Path of Exile does with Leagues. Every 3 months they have a new league with a fresh economy, and then your characters go into the regular game when league ends (Standard).

So something like Prophecies only League or Factions only League would be cool. Or any number of ideas.

"To be spoken well of in my line of work could be disastrous for my career." - The Ninth Gate.

• How about a district you could only enter from character creation, ticking a "hardcore" checkbox.

A district not listed, so once you change you cannot go back, with some pre-searing limits (no Xunlai Storage, no Guild Hall).

Trades would be like pre-searing but on a global scale, with a totally different economy. We'd see same kind of trades happening like pre-post too. And mules, lots of storage mules.

Would it be considered low-hanging fruit to developers? It depends.

- Adding a checkbox at character creation to enter a specific district, maybe not too hard.

- Adding a new unlisted district, yes that might need some tweaks.

- Removing Xunlai Agents and chests from a specific district, it might be problematic.

- Guild Hall access could be easier, just force you into American district if you go to Guild Hall.

Is it doable? It depends on how many cupcakes you can donate :D

Edited 3 times, last by Lexx (July 6, 2018 at 10:43 PM).

• I'm a little confused on the expected outcome for this request.

With the rampant botting that's taken place for the last several years, wouldn't a reset give those botters a massive advantage out of the gate? And correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make this new world worse than the one before?

I looked back through your posts and you're primarily a buyer/seller, so maybe you see something I don't. Would legitimately love to hear you expand on what you're looking for.

• I honestly typed this post out quickly on my lunch break and my point wasn't as clear as I wanted, haha. But, exactly what Lexx said. I know that this will more than likely be an idea and that it will never actually happen in-game.

The biggest point for me is that the player base that is on GW now would all have the same starting point. No one would be too far ahead, or more importantly too far behind.

I've played GW since the fall of 2005, and have had breaks throughout. The problem for me is that I was 7 when I first started playing and went through many character deletions and really accomplished nothing in terms of adding items or wealth. I've become really interested in collecting things, but the problem is that the market for items is way more than I have.

This idea would have everyone at the same wealth. That gold drop would mean something again instead of merch food. You would probably have purple items until you found better, maybe even blue. Also, everyone would have the same missions to complete so I feel like there would be full parties again, especially with how hard Proph would be with only Proph/core skills and henchies.

Again, just an idea I have been thinking about, mostly from nostalgia and wanting to relive my GW childhood.

• Asking Legacy people if they'd like a global reset is like asking a guy if he wants to have his balls chopped off.

You can only imagine the amount of suicides among GW players especially when it comes to Legacy community (rip your rare items), the rich botting kids (bye bye 10+ accounts with z12/gamer12, hi dwa) or people who got their pvp titles illegitimately, due to RA glitch for instance (hi 'gladiator' motoko).

Talking about incentives, I can see aplenty. For general PvP an online title tracking rankings. For SC kids some sort of NPC that'd keep track on their progress in elite areas. For regular PvE casuals, another title tracking ranking or finding the first perfect q8 item, w/e, idk, whatever floats your boat.

You point out to bots, that they would have an advantage? Perhaps that's something to talk about with your good friends Stephen and Bill, oh wait, it's not going to work since they joined Girlwars' twitch army and as her minions they are obliged to do her biddings, one of them has been spotted playing along bots in RA on numerous occasions, so go figure.

The idea could definitely work as long as appropiate measures would be implemented along with it. What wouldn't work is the community, which would protest (most likely with cupcakes) to pull the dev team away from the idea. Maybe in another lifetime.

• Official Post

Perhaps that's something to talk about with your good friends Stephen and Bill, oh wait, it's not going to work since they joined Georgia's twitch army and as her minions they are obliged to do her biddings, one of them have been spotted playing along bots in RA on numerous occasions, so go figure.

Reconnaissance. For the war to come.

Know your enemy ‘n all that.

• I'm not one of the people who plays this game for wealth, so in explaining it a little more, I'm neutral on the idea. See my worthless trade thread in the sell section for proof of that, lol.

I think one of the other problems might be in what it is you're looking to acquire, and why you want to acquire them. From my understanding, the most valuable of items are from foreign copies of games, are items that were time sensitive like pre purchases and other things like magazine codes. It doesn't seem like there's a way to properly reset those. The only other things I can think of are rare items drops in game and that seems to be more of a farming/drop rate issue, not actually a time sensitive one.

Again, my familiarity of rare or hard to get items and is extremely low so I have to defer to more knowledgeable people.

• Like diablo 2,

Make a checkbox for hardcore mode which includes a seperate version of the game with simply a death-is-death mechanic (i.e reaching 0 health)

This also yields another economy and really discourages botting to some degree due to difficulty of setting up bots in some places, let alone giving them a 100% survive rate doping so.

However it also encourages botting due to its economy of items and material being way harder to come by, and thus making it more feasible to do so.

Both with pros and cons.

However, any MMORPG will never be free of botting simply because money is there to be made due demand, unlike singleplayer games.

If you'll be content with putting water with wine, the glass will always be half full.

• I'm with Jayson on this one. Not exactly sure what kind of benefit this would ultimately have over just equalizing the economy for a period of time. I'm a collector, to me it seems easy enough to farm for the wealth we need right now. If anything, I would like to see Anet release some of those harder to find collectibles to the store or add them as trade-ins for holiday tokens or some such - especially the ones that were "lost" in the old account ban waves.

I started new characters in each of the campaigns for a video series to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary and do a "video diary" of the content for prosperity. You can't really recapture that "newness" feeling like the old days, but it has been an enjoyable adventure for me and I haven't needed to really send these adventure characters any gold or items in all this time, and they have been relegated to their own campaign - so no cross-campaign skills. It's been a great way to experience the content again, and remember things I forgot long ago. That's always been the draw for me outside of my hording/collecting OCD.

There are still plenty of people out there who like grouping up and doing content together - I think our little community here is example of that.

This idea reminds me of something a player in the Defiance forums said in relation to the updated version of the game releasing next week. He is a relatively new PvP player, and was upset that he wasn't as competitive as the vets who have been playing the game for the last 5 years. Obviously skill and the ability to use 5 years worth of item upgrades and such have something to do with that. He sees the "resetting" of the playerbase with the updated version as a way to equalize that.

My response was that it's not really going to do what he thinks it's going to do. One of his complaints was getting one-shot in a lot of matches by max level peeps. I told him that resetting the playerbase isn't going to change that. The core PvP people are going to focus on doing what they need to do to get back to their current position as quickly as possible. Sure at launch time and for about a week thereafter, there will be that normalization of everyone, but by the end of the week, people are going to get one-shot again.

I see the same thing here. The normalization of the market is only going to last until the farmers and bots get underway again. At the end of the day, we'll still be right where we are right now. Maybe even worse off because the playerbase is so small now compared to GW during it's heyday. It's the problem with player-driven economies. Something will always be out of the reach of a group of players. The only way to achieve a truly fair and equal economy is to have it system run with all items available at vendors for a set price determined by the desired rarity of any particular item.

• Official Post

It wouldn't even equalise the economy. People already know the best areas to farm and where the popular items drop. That isn't something that would change with this. What will happen is people will just gravitate to the same farms and speedclears but doing it quicker to try and personally benefit.

The population that would want to do something like this is also tiny, if anyone did move over then then I doubt people still wouldn't play Prophecies or do unecesary missions etc. as they would want to end-game as quick as possible.

If the main reason for this is to play the game with other people, then the best thing to do is seek out the people and not try and force a new game mode which will be under-populated.

For example: a group has setup a Discord server for players that wanted to find others and more importantly a schedule to be able to play through campaigns. This has worked very well and become very popular. This is different than just joining a highly populated Guild because the likelyhood of still finding players at the same position in the game is small.

• Buying a new account and not going to Kamadan almost has same effect.

There are a lot of people enjoying playing the game back through with no items or money traded down to new characters so that’s happening too.

What reason would there need to be a ‘market’ reset other than to try and make money in a new market.

I would not express this better myself. I do see some of the points though. But even if the market is restarted people will abuse it....