New campaign for Guild Wars 1, we can make it happen if there is a will.

• I voted yes because I certainly want to see new content for the game, and see the ideas the team had in mind and early production, before GW2, realized.

However, I have to agree with Ghost and Cosy. The ANet of today is nothing like the ANet that created this game, and hasn't been since shortly after Nightfall. Any attempt by the team to do anything with GW1 would turn into an unmitigated disaster.

Quite frankly, I would just rather see the game ported to an offline single player mode so that we can continue to enjoy it after the servers are shut down. But I don't see that happening either. At best, we can only hope a team of fans can pull together an emulator to keep the game alive and maybe see more content in the future.

• I have paid for Prophecy, Nightfall, Factions, EOTN, and other things pertaining to GW, so why not and expansion or any new content!

Exactly my point. Why not??? The great question. This should have never happened in the first place and both models of GW1 and 2 could have run simultaneously. Sadly, we as fans were sleeping back then and obviously intrigued to try GW2 out before realizing that GW1 would slowly fade away.

It is never to late I guess to try :)

• Exactly my point. Why not??? The great question. This should have never happened in the first place and both models of GW1 and 2 could have run simultaneously. Sadly, we as fans were sleeping back then and obviously intrigued to try GW2 out before realizing that GW1 would slowly fade away.

It is never to late I guess to try :)

I don't think anyone was caught sleeping. We pretty much knew full well what was going on and going to happen after the first meaty bit of news about GW2 came out. It was clear the new game was going to be the focus, and GW1 was going into maintenance mode. The team was going to try to get the Nightfall chapter of Beyond complete, as well as more story for Mad King, but they said it was not a guarantee to be done.

Most of the fanbase was excited for the new game and was looking forward to it. That is until we learned more about it, and ANet released that infamous Manifesto.

• I voted yes because I certainly want to see new content for the game, and see the ideas the team had in mind and early production, before GW2, realized.

However, I have to agree with Ghost and Cosy. The ANet of today is nothing like the ANet that created this game, and hasn't been since shortly after Nightfall. Any attempt by the team to do anything with GW1 would turn into an unmitigated disaster.

Quite frankly, I would just rather see the game ported to an offline single player mode so that we can continue to enjoy it after the servers are shut down. But I don't see that happening either. At best, we can only hope a team of fans can pull together an emulator to keep the game alive and maybe see more content in the future.

Thank you for your support.

This question that you raise about the previous ANET team has disbanded carries no impact on the out come we seek. Maybe I am not communicating this properly. I want folks to understand that we do not need a single previous employee who worked on GW1 to get a new expansion made in theory. Yes having them or some GW1 engineers/coders etc. etc. can make life easy but it is not a necessity. If this becomes a reality, new engineers/coders will be hired who will have access to all the previous data that is there and work on to improve it. This actually makes the life of that person a lot easier than starting from scratch. New individuals bring in new ideas and approaches to any task. It is well known that the second generation of anything is always better than the first. Also from a artistic prespective, why would we not want new ones? We do not want another NF/Fac or EOTN but new works of art. Sometimes, the previous artists are very versatile and imagine new things and make them completely different from the previous ones. So if we get the old artists of GW1 who want and can contribute towards this, well and good and if not, new ones can be hired.

EXAMPLE: Do not view this as a task where the original person is no more so it cant be done again. This is not a painting made by Pablo Picasso. It was a collective effort of many individuals working as a team which was never static. Dynamic team is always way better than a static one in any case. If you are made to believe that this simply not possible because the original team is no longer their, then that is simply not true and nothing more than a distracting comment. These are just generic replies that any one would make in this case. Given the financial resource supported by a serious determined executive, can take this in any direction they want.

This is not the most sophisticated or complex code out there, this is a fact. In fact it is no where near that. I am not saying it is a walk in the park, but I am trying to emphasize that it is a "accomplishable task" if the right resources are added. Financial resources is the first major and most important obstacle. If we can establish that within the proposal and it is put the right person in NCSOFT or ANET for that matter with a defining argument, they will see it through.

This not about the small details about the game and how they will code them right now, it is more about making this work simultaneously with GW2 which has become their pride and our second major obstacle. To come out with a GW1 expansion may seem to some as a indication that GW2 is failing or failed so ANET wants to bring back GW1 to keep running. This notion can be very strong with the people observing from outside as and have a strong negative bias towards GW1 from within the current employee base in ANET for GW2.

That is why I have planned a strategy to address these two core issues that we will face if we get there. I can deal with these but to get there we need lots of support from players who have played GW1 and would want this to happen. Votes carry meaning and value and can not go unnoticed if significant numbers are reached.

ANET could do a login poll today and I think any analytical person there already knows what the majority response would be. We just need to push persistently for them to do it. If a petition is needed for that, so be it. We can try.

Please excuse for typos and errors :)

Best!

Edited 2 times, last by E M P E R O R (September 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM).

• I don't think anyone was caught sleeping. We pretty much knew full well what was going on and going to happen after the first meaty bit of news about GW2 came out. It was clear the new game was going to be the focus, and GW1 was going into maintenance mode. The team was going to try to get the Nightfall chapter of Beyond complete, as well as more story for Mad King, but they said it was not a guarantee to be done.

Most of the fanbase was excited for the new game and was looking forward to it. That is until we learned more about it, and ANet released that infamous Manifesto.

I know, it is what it is. We can try this and see if anything changes. I agree we knew where this was going but there was a part in all of us that wanted to try GW2 also lol.

• I appreciate what you are trying to do, and I support any attempt to breathe new life into this game. I do have more to comment about this, as well as your response above, but I can't do it justice on my mobile at work. This will be better served when I can sit in front of my computer at home.

• I appreciate what you are trying to do, and I support any attempt to breathe new life into this game. I do have more to comment about this, as well as your response above, but I can't do it justice on my mobile at work. This will be better served when I can sit in front of my computer at home.

No worries, we have all the time we need. Will appreciate all input we can get.

• OK, so we have two things to consider here. Let me start with the easier one first.

To put it bluntly, a petition of this nature doesn't really mean Jack Squat. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 signatures at the end, or 10,000. It is nothing more than a bunch of names on a virtual piece of paper. Arenanet already knows there is keen interest from the dedicated GW1 playerbase for seeing new content in the game. They have known that for years. Nothing will be done unless it is approved and has the backing of NCSoft. I don't think I need to remind anyone that petitions (and a whole lot more) did nothing to save City of Heroes. Regardless, if we want to see hope of new content being produced for GW1, it is going to require convincing NCSoft that it is the profitable thing to do. Your best bet is to get in contact with them and find out exactly what it would take for them to provide the go ahead for ANet to dedicate time, manpower, money, and resources into developing new content for GW1. However, I don't think for a minute you would get your foot in the door without something to bring to the table aside from a petition with a bunch of names on it. Let me explain why.

Back during the turn of the Century, I was a manager at a bowling center that also had an attached bar and grille. We were planning a huge celebration for the New Year (2001 of course!). People could reserve packages that included bowling, food, and drink, and party the night away in style. However, during the planning stages, a lot of our regulars started in inquire about merchandise - hats in particular. They suggested we get hats made up for the event. Myself and the center owner considered the proposition and thought it might be a good thing to do since there seemed to be interest in it. However, that would require a big up front cost on our parts to get the hats produced. So I created a petition for people sign asking if they would be interested in purchasing one of these hats for a nominal cost (they would have been priced just above our cost to have them produced, so we wouldn't really be making a whole lot on the sale). We ended up with over 200 people signing the petition saying they would be interested in buying the hats if they were available. Now, again, since this would be a big out of pocket expense for us to get these things produced, we decided to do a trial run first, and only ordered a batch of 50 hats. If they sold well, we would get the rest of them produced. As it turns out, despite all those names committing to buying one of the hats, we sold a total whopping of 13. One of which I purchased for myself.

NCSoft won't give you the time of day if all you can bring to the table is a petition and a Guild Wars 1 fanboy smile. To have any hope of getting them the least bit interested in this project, it would require an investment group coming to the table with a good looking bank statement and a business plan for how this content is going to be produced, and the long term plans and goals for the team and the game. Maybe Stephen and Bill can help get the ball rolling on ANet's side of things and bring this petition and proposal to Mike O'Brien, who can then broach the subject with his NCSoft contacts, but I really don't see this getting anywhere with NCSoft without a big fat check to back it up.

Now remember, I said that was the easy part of this equation. The tough part is the creative aspect of the project. For that, let me highlight some things from your post above:

It is well known that the second generation of anything is always better than the first.

This is just me nitpicking, but I couldn't resist: this statement couldn't be further from the truth. There are myriads of examples where a follow-up product was vastly inferior to its predecessor. Heck most of us here think that with Guild Wars 2.

Also from a artistic prespective, why would we not want new ones? We do not want another NF/Fac or EOTN but new works of art. Sometimes, the previous artists are very versatile and imagine new things and make them completely different from the previous ones. So if we get the old artists of GW1 who want and can contribute towards this, well and good and if not, new ones can be hired.

We're not talking about artistic style here. Of course we would want any new content to have a look unique to that content, but still be the familiar Guild Wars that we all know and love. Each of the three campaigns and expansion have that, so that's not the issue. The real issue here is one of design and mechanics.

We had new people coming to ANet with new ideas and talent from 2006 to 2012. What we got as a result of that is Guild Wars 2. Why would we not want new people to come in and work on the new GW1 content - that's your answer. It's true that we don't need one single person from the ANet of 2000-2006, but unless we get people who are going to hold true to the designs and ideas of that original team, what we will get will be no different (and perhaps no better) than what the team brought to us with Guild Wars 2.

I feel the same way about the Star Trek movie reboots and the latest installment of the Star Wars franchise. For me, the movies produced by JJ and Rian are absolutely terrible when compared to the core products that spawned them. Why? Because for me, they hold nothing of what made the originals great and spawned such a massive following. The Trek reboots and Last Jedi are nothing more than a generic sci-fi product with a famous IP attached to it. They may be entertaining movies in their own right, but they are soulless husks when it comes to the IP they are supposed to represent.

EXAMPLE: Do not view this as a task where the original person is no more so it cant be done again. This is not a painting made by Pablo Picasso. It was a collective effort of many individuals working as a team which was never static. Dynamic team is always way better than a static one in any case. If you are made to believe that this simply not possible because the original team is no longer their, then that is simply not true and nothing more than a distracting comment. These are just generic replies that any one would make in this case.

In all reality, we really are talking about a Picasso. or a Van Gogh, a Da Vinci, or a Monet, or a Rembrandt. Games are in all reality a work of art. As such, the enjoyment one receives from a game is going to be varied and a purely individual thing. There can be no doubt that the people I just mentioned are considered greats in the world of Art. But that doesn't mean that their artwork is universally liked or appreciated. Each individual person is going to have their own likes and dislikes regarding a work of art. Games are no different. For me Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game. It's pretty solid and a very good effort put forth from a talented developer. However, in the context of a Guild Wars game, it is nothing that I have any interest in playing whatsoever, and find the original a much superior and enjoyable product.

We will never see another original Picasso made. There can be some artist out there who can mimic Picasso's style and produce a lovely piece of art in its own right, but any fan of Picasso will always see it as a cheap knock-off that is inferior to any work produced by the original master. This is what many people here are talking about when there are hesitations made about having anyone on the current ANet team produce new content for our game, and even if we bring in yet more people, those fears can still be justified. Any new team may be able to reproduce the look and feel of the Guild Wars we all know and love, but at the end of the day, if it just turns out to be a soulless clone, what good is it?

This is not a distracting or generic comment, but it is the very core of the issue we are talking about. That's why this part is vastly more difficult to address than the financial one with NCSoft. Money and numbers are easy. Getting people to do right by Guild Wars 1 and us fans is going to be an infinitely more difficult process, and one that cannot be understated or underestimated.

As a certified PC technician, I can guarantee that there are a bunch of people at ANet that would jump at the chance to play around with the old code, just like I enjoy playing around with old PC's and Apple machines from the 80's and Operating Systems going all the way back to the DOS days. It's just plain fun to muck around with the classic stuff. That's not going to be the issue. Getting them, or someone new up to speed and really understanding what the code of GW1 is like and all the nuances and limitations in the code is going to be a time-consuming process. But at the end of the day, no matter how talented they are, or the talent of any new people that might be brought into the project, it doesn't mean Jack Squat if they don't understand what makes GW1 the Guild Wars we love.

Edited 3 times, last by BJWyler (September 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM).

• Thanks for your reply, I read through it and I could not find any thing new that I needed to reply to. I have already addressed the issues that you are trying to raise as they were raised before you by one person or another.

My reply below may not necessarily be towards you but again in general and repetitive I guess.

I have already mentioned the two core reasons that we have to face and I am more than well prepared for them.

I have also clearly stated that the Dev's for me are not the starting point for this as I view this from the top down at NCSOFT.

I understand you disagree with some of the replies I have given which is OK.

I am going to make the original post very concise and to the point when I get time as I just do not get it why many people want to get into lengthy debates about structuring the code of GW1 and technical details. Those are not in our control nor will any of us ever be part of the design or code team even if I invested in this venture on my own. There are people who come in and take care of such things professionally when the plan is set to motion.

To go on that table I need the player support as otherwise there is no point putting up a proposal, rest on the financial aspect and eliminating the GW2 bias within ANET is all planned. It may succeed or fail, but believe me it is there.

If I am the one talking to them, I need those signatures to put the case as I have planned. If someone has a better plan, please go ahead with it and I will support that too. Please do not tell me that I should just knock the door ill prepared without petition signatures to substantiate this idea. May it be 1k or 10k, they have to be there.

If everyone wants this succeed, please understand that there is no point discussing the issues about the game that we have no control over. All we can do is make up a case addressing the two core issues I have mentioned and any other that someone can point to which may be significant at the discussion table if it goes there with NCSOFT.

Discussing about Dev's, Artists, Codes, Technical details has no relevance to this movement/petition. I am more than qualified to talk about them but that is not needed here nor does that discussion serve any purpose.

The question was really simple and I want to keep it that way but for some reason or another this is becoming to lengthy.

"Do you want a GW1 expansion and will you pay for it"

You replied "YES" :) . Thank you for your support. As for now that is all that is needed till we gather some steam for this.

Edited once, last by E M P E R O R (September 15, 2018 at 3:53 AM).

• Innocent bystander here, just trying to keep up with this thread and hopeful that it can lead somewhere.

I apologize if what I'm about to say is out of line but I'm an oldtimer and have loved this game as much and as long as anyone here.

Wouldn't it be better if responses were kept focused to the question posed in the petition?

Would you or would you not want an expansion?

I think all this voluminous talk about potential issues, barriers and matters of opinion is clouding and potentially obstructing the goal here.

Many of these concerns would have to be addressed by the appropriate team down the road.

Let's focus as a community on helping to determine if this is even a road that can be traveled.

I encourage everyone to answer the poll question as they see fit

If you answer is "yes" I encourage you to use your imagination to envision what an expansion could be and what barriers may arise...but to save those thoughts for the time and place that will hopefully come in the future where they can be addressed.

This time and place is for simple answers to simple questions.

Give your answer and (I hope) support.

All these other arguments, concerns, barriers, etc are not useful material at this time. At the least, they are distracting from the purpose of this petition. At the worst, they are counterproductive and hurtful to the outcome for which many of us hope.

Thanks for reading and considering my point. I do not want to argue or belabor it so will not be responding to questions or quotes in this regard.

Just my 2 cents. That's all you get.

Thanks

Kabong

• The problem here is that some may want to see this poll as a simple yes or no answer, but it's not that simple. I explained that in my previous post and others in this very thread have shown why it is not a simple yes or no answer.

Like I said, ANet already knows there is overwhelming support for seeing development return to GW1. This poll tells them nothing they don't already know. Whether NCSoft knows how much support there is to have development return to GW1 is irrelevant. Again, as I pointed out - there was overwhelming support to keep City of Heroes from shutting down. Yet it was shuttered, despite being a profitable game.

Showing NCSoft a petition with 1,000, 10,000, or a million signatures on it is not going to make one iota of difference without money to back it up. I have yet to see anyone here claim to have the funds necessary to cover the expense that it will cost to restart development on GW1. Until that happens, you can have as many petitions as you want with as many signatures. They still aren't worth the dirt under my feet. NCSoft doesn't care about names, they care about money. The promise of money based off some names on a petition are as good to them as a candle in the wind. As Cuba Gooding, Jr. once said "Show me the money!"

Do I want to see development begin again for GW1? Yes.

Am I willing to shell out $40 or $50 for new campaigns and expansions? Nope. Not until I know who will be on the team and their roadmap for said content.

Am I going to spend $40 or $50 on that content if it is produced by the current ANet team? That's a resounding HELL NO!

You can have my name on some petition voting yes for new content, but neither NCSoft nor ArenaNet is going to see a dime of my money until they prove that whatever content is produced is going to be the content that deserves the GW1 label and fits with the game. So while some people may want see this as a distraction and irrelevant to the question, it's going to be one of the overriding issues that NCSoft is looking at. I'm sorry, but I see it as the most relevant factor in the poll question because that will determine whether certain people will actually support said content.

In all reality, if we really want to make a statement and see where the rubber meets the road, we need to start a GoFundMe page and see how many people are actually willing to pony up the cash for new content for this game. Like I said, you can have my name on a petition in support of new content, but you sure as heck won't see me open my wallet until I see what I am paying for.

• I'd change those horrible bounty hunts in Elona so that you get points for killing everything, like in EOTN. That would be a nice change and not too hard to code in.

There are a lot of 'little' changes that could be made if money was raised to pay for a dev for a year.

Maybe the way to go about this is to approach Anet and ask how much it would cost and would they be willing to employ someone if we paid for it.

As others have pointed out, a petition is a bit of a waste of time- especially as the vast majority of players have never visited this site and even less have seen the petition.

• It will never happen , no need to make a thread and get hyped over it.

First it would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too time consuming for the small loan they'd earn. To put it short I'm almost positive that they would just lose money.

Second , we don't need another add-on , nightfall was already too much.

But well let's see.

• To be honest tho, this would never have gotten the hype if a team of people didn’t start a private server and allready fixed bugs balanced stuff and added new content on their own. All this while not being in shady practices like donation gear and so forth. This team is now spearheading the way to get it back up. Sadly we did never see that in this beautiful game as they keep everything in house. If Anet were to make it like blizz that everyone could make their own and a movement like that would generate the same noise. We are talking that the private server had almost more active players than retail back in the day. I do think we could have them split resources to GW1.

For now this is a great movement and we should tally up some votes. Is it going to be enough? I do not think so but it’s a start. Let’s start by getting the snowball rolling. And if my MBA told me anything looking at the numbers there still is a chance! The game is and can be still profitable. Everybody is talking about the resources it would take yet it would be a far cheaper investment to get Anet to open GW to be experimented on by the community. And give rise to private servers. Cause then you will find your talent and what will their training eventually cost Anet? Exactly! Nothing!

And like people said the big thing behind it being NCSOFT do not worry as a publisher wants to so money. If it gathers enough momentum and calculations are done they will see there will be enough money. But that will be further down the line and a worry to come once it’s here! Let’s focus on what we’re doing and keep it going!! And let’s get our own quote from Anet wich we can use against them!!

• To be honest tho, this would never have gotten the hype if a team of people didn’t start a private server and allready fixed bugs balanced stuff and added new content on their own. All this while not being in shady practices like donation gear and so forth. This team is now spearheading the way to get it back up. Sadly we did never see that in this beautiful game as they keep everything in house. If Anet were to make it like blizz that everyone could make their own and a movement like that would generate the same noise. We are talking that the private server had almost more active players than retail back in the day. I do think we could have them split resources to GW1.

For now this is a great movement and we should tally up some votes. Is it going to be enough? I do not think so but it’s a start. Let’s start by getting the snowball rolling. And if my MBA told me anything looking at the numbers there still is a chance! The game is and can be still profitable. Everybody is talking about the resources it would take yet it would be a far cheaper investment to get Anet to open GW to be experimented on by the community. And give rise to private servers. Cause then you will find your talent and what will their training eventually cost Anet? Exactly! Nothing!

And like people said the big thing behind it being NCSOFT do not worry as a publisher wants to so money. If it gathers enough momentum and calculations are done they will see there will be enough money. But that will be further down the line and a worry to come once it’s here! Let’s focus on what we’re doing and keep it going!! And let’s get our own quote from Anet wich we can use against them!!

Well thought and very mature comments. Much appreciated.

I could not agree more.

Thank you for joining in.

We can try and let us come together and make "that" great push and hope for the best.

NCSOFT is after all a publicly traded company :) .

Edited once, last by E M P E R O R (September 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM).

• 1. It won't happen. And I will list details in the rest if the numbers.

2. Not enough player base, you would need to get rid of botters and gold sellers. Tell how you plan to combat that.

3. Ncsoft dropped gw. Doubt you would gain interest with them.

4. Lack of artists, etc. I would love to be a moderator, but it's an old game. Most are interested in newer things.

5. Legal - things would need to go through that and the other divisions.

6. Financial - may be a lot more cost than any realizes. A LOT goes into it. Look at the credits as part of the information.

7. Stopping the abuse of accounts. One in game has 50 and trolls with several accounts.

8. Stopping the hacking that is not secured enough.

I Am sure there is more, but I don't think that you may understand much. Much goes into a game. I was in beta of Secret

Ugh can not remember rest and they discussed their issues. They took my advice. Even were able to do expansion.

So I understand that games can be trouble. There's a lot more to it than just a snap for an expansion or even expecting something like that - so soon.

A lot goes on that's not known.

It just won't happen.

It's not happened on the countless other times that people have tried this.

I don't see any difference.

Use the serenity prayer.

Accept what you cannot change and deal with it, instead of begging on a lost hopeless dream.

Be happy that it even runs.

People like me, can't enjoy marvel heroes as that shut down. I don't want to see this shut down, because of ammeture and Immature actions.

Also, don't call me a troll when you lack experience with their wikis, etc., That I participated in. I don't have to threaten you, your actions betray that of a kid. I have been playing 11 years And gained other experience that I learned to accept. I still offer, but that's all I do.

:heart: By the light of the fire and the sparkle of the stars, you came to realize the meaning of true love. - Lori B. :rit:

• Though we have plans to tackle some of the points you have mentioned and a lot of it is answered in the main post. I can not make the main post five pages detailing everything as that is not needed here or now. That is for the core group to manage and take forward when we reach the petition stage.

We are looking for MBAs, FEs and BEs to help us improve the strategy when we take this to NCSOFT.

I have already mentioned, this is about the fans and if the want it. The question is also very clear and it is a YES and NO question.

Voting YES and then expecting that someone from NCSOFT/ANET will make calls to individuals and ask them who they want on the development team is simply unreasonable and will never happen. Some might give this demand other names but I am not going to ridicule it, as it can be something that a individual player may want.

Discussing the technical details, codes, artists, issues with bots, gold sellers and account abusers has no meaning to what we intend to achieve. All these things get self addressed when something like materializes. The prime example is WoW Classic. It is for ANET to get it done if we can persuade them to do so. To succeed we need to come together as a group to take this forward or we can keep debating things that have no relevance to our cause.

The idea is quite simple; get the player support if there and take a strong proposal to them with a well qualified and educated team and let them decide. No one here is trying to make their own game using anything related to the GW code as you had presumed in one of your posts on Discord.

If you can get this shut down based on what I have described above, then this might not be the right place for it anyways. Everyone who votes "YES" should really think it over as you can also vote "NO". If you vote "YES" and want to join the core group, most welcome if you have the kind of expertise needed. If you vote "NO", we accept and respect your opinion. Voting "YES" with a pessimistic follow up lengthy message is a contradiction to your voting "YES" as the main post clearly requests for your positive support or criticism. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Lastly, no one is begging here anything from anybody. This is simply a business proposal from the players who also have strong backgrounds in the corporate world to the concerned executives at NCSOFT/ANET. I am not sure if the previous petitions had a core group with a basic strategy well planned.

Edited 3 times, last by Iaerah: Let's not attack each other and keep things civil - opinions vary, and can be discussed - I welcome that. But keep it civil. All of you. (September 18, 2018 at 7:36 PM).

• I'm going to counter your points as I see them. I'm willing to open up discussion here since multiple POV's will be able to think about "issues" that we might not have seen before.

1. Saying it won't happen never made anything happen. You cannot go to a company already thinking it won't happen.

2. Our player base might not be what it used to be yet there are still some active players. Then again indeed it wouldn't be enough to fully operate the game and make it profitable. So what would you do? Get a petition like this going gather people IE a snowball effect. Then once you're finally there and gather enough people by immense time of dedication you go and think about your options. For instance you would give every GW2 account GW1 prophecies for free. People who'm have never played might actually start playing and there might be a profit. You cannot clearly bring this to NCSOFT as of yet. Since you do not have the numbers nor the manpower to actually bring anything to the table. But we're at the start I mean you have to start somewhere. Again it will take time but it will grow. I'm here to give it a shot at least.

3. NCSOFT hasn't dropped GW. If they truly dropped GW we would not be able to play I mean look at WILDSTAR it got dropped as of today it is closing down soon and that is because it had an even lower pop than GW and higher running cost. So if anything NCSOFT has not dropped GW they still earn enough I still see new players buying GW it is still going strong. Not as strong as it used to but still strong enough.

4. You know what is an old game? WoW! And you know what they have? Artists! Ooh and not to forget a team that is now working on legacy servers. All these people who'm wouldn't be interested in an "old" game. And not to forget that they merged with activision a publisher many times worse than NCSOFT. Look at the revenue numbers of game under activision and then check out ncsofts revenue per game and then say which one has the bigger chance to open a legacy program. Even with wildstar being taken down might make it an even bigger possibility with one of their absolute best sellers to return to the scene.

5. Legal would truly be your last issue. You do not go to a company with an idea and bring it to legal first. You get it heard by the departments you want. Your best in is always marketing in a company. Why? Well if you get marketing on board they will practically sell your idea to the top without you needing to sweat as hard. Trust me your pitch would still be nerve wrecking and hard to do but easier if you get in through marketing. They would be able give you the numbers you'd need. They know their clientele and have the info you need, to show them that the game might actually be profitable. Once you got this rolling and the top would be on board then you look at your legality. And if I think to know anything about this, is that a company like Anet and a publisher like NCSOFT will do anything to get through the legal issues if they are on board. You cannot look at end-game problems if your just at the start. Hell try to solo urgoz as a level one it would be the same thing.

6. The financial issue is nor isn't an issue as of yet. You do not have the numbers you need to calculate if the game will be profitable or not. You do not have the margins yet. Nor any chance calculations. Unless we do what we're doing we will never be able to make these calculations. But we're still miles away from this issue. And again looking at Wildstar if there was a financial issue GW wouldn't be around anymore.

7. Didn't they recently add a report system? And again this is an issue that can be solved fairly easily but for a future date. And you will always have trolls.

8. Hacking is a problem in any online game and if you fix it they will find a new way. If this movement gets enough attention and GW starts to rise again there will be a team delivering new content and fixing backdoor.

I would like to thank you for your input and if you do not agree with me I'm always open for discussion. :)

I do understand that making a game isn't: "poof" new expansion for you.

And this might take months even years to achieve what we would like to achieve with this movement, it could also be that nothing will be accomplished. But if we don't try there never will be a chance. And I'd rather want a slim chance than not even trying at all. Again the industry quote of "You think you do, but you don't" showed that a small chance is worth fighting for.

• 1. Saying it won't happen. Yes, because countless other proposals same as your proposal went through what they did. It was legal that stopped it. 😒

2. You don't need 'numbers'. That didn't stop other more popular games from shutting down, including Ncsoft's City of Heroes. I did play on that one, until it was closed. I was getting use to the game system. Thought it was neat. It didn't have botters or gold sellers like gw does. Numbers don't matter, financial does.

3. I don't see it on their site. Do you? 😂 It's Arenanet that's hosting gw on the same servers as gw2. That's why it's still active. Not ncsoft. So, main points on ncsoft still stand as corrected.

4. You basically told on discord of no artists. I know from discussions and other information that their artists for gw not gw2. Didn't stay around. Some that I know that did work, have gone on to other jobs. Again, point still stands of needing artists that can do gw style as others have done.

5. Legal is their first with gw as to what can and can't be done. How I know? Because of work talk with ncsoft, etc. In emails. It was they'd have to consult legal. Same with suggestions that I had, etc. To expand team and increase player base. Again, my point corrected on this.

6. Financial is not an issue? How amusing... Okay, so it would not be an issue for like say a fan film, etc.? How would you get people involved, if you don't intend in on financial talks? Just even for a company to own another. There is financial. It's always a priority here. It is the USA. Same place that Arenanet resides. With about any business, there's always financial. Even in getting a job. People find out the starting pay, etc. Same with digital artists, designers, etc. I have seen many comment about this. So, financial is always a priority here... That's just honest truth of how America works.

7. They fixed their report system not add it. It's been there for a while. Just had been broken and not everyone will report bots, gold sellers, etc. When they farm in areas that no one plays. And when they give things like trims, items - especially rare ones, even armbraces.... No one is going to want to report. Most have gotten use to it. Even though the botters and gold sellers actually damage the game. They claim to help it.

8. It would be prudent to prevent hacking like blocking the ips, etc. Before New players, but... Just a new form of hacking is happening and it is getting players to give out information that can be used to get into accounts. 2f cannot prevent all accounts, because of Change in email or phone, etc.... Same with people allowing remote access... Key loggers, etc.

Core thing - detailed planning of suggestions, etc..that would and could gain interest. An ability to still be able to be self reliant. Involvement of them. Actual advertising and promotion. Even involving twitch and YouTube hosts and reddit and here. A revamp of the wiki, turning it into sites limiting to only certain ones to edit it and no discussion, but one page for suggestions and no bug reports. That goes directly to staff. Staff can inform the editors or add themselves the notes of bugs. I would suggest the sites to be used that could have this to work. Using their current theme on their main site. This would cut out any and all abuse of wiki administration.

No discord, that's too much high maintenance and real time discussion always going on. Leave it to players only.

Pretty high maintenance that could be costly... Thing would be, would it be worth for the end revenue.

Also, have a copyright that no other site can copy their work at all even to sell for profit without consulting legal. Other words, a collaboration that could benefit them (anet). Like put a stop to and prevent gold sellers.

:heart: By the light of the fire and the sparkle of the stars, you came to realize the meaning of true love. - Lori B. :rit:

• Ariyen You need to stop being rude, now. You've been rude through out all of this Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can act this way.

I am not being rude. Just honest, but I can be... 😈 😇 And FYI I never said I didn't like it. So, you must be reading something else. I raised 8 main points that I Know are issues. That's still not answered. Also have made suggestions that could be considered. So, I don't get what is rude.

• I am not being rude. Just honest, but I can be... 😈 😇 And FYI I never said I didn't like it. So, you must be reading something else. I raised 8 main points that I Know are issues. That's still not answered. Also have made suggestions that could be considered. So, I don't get what is rude.

You haven't made any suggestions that could be considered. All you've talked about is why it is impossible. How depressing that is. :thumbdown:
    Try to think even remotely positively, and if you can't do that, then just stop saying anything.
    You're upsetting people and you need to quit. :(
    And also, what? The main points have been answered by Mastinoo.

Edited once, last by Nightblade (September 19, 2018 at 2:26 AM).

• Ariyen

I see your points and I do agree with you on getting involvement on youtube, twitch, ect.

Yet you keep bouncing on issues that are further down the line. As I stated the financial issue is not something we should think about untill we gather atleast 500 votes to start a petition. Yes stating that there are problems with gold sellers and bots and if it will be profitable are things we need to hear and they will be noted. But we’re not at the stage yet to allready have solutions for them. Stage 1 means getting the word spread out there. Start with 500 votes on a poll and then start a petition. Once the petition hits let’s say 5k signatures then we start to think about the issues you represent. Why then because then you can ask an invested community of people who’m want the same thing. And once you get the petition rolling more people will give their insight on the issues you state and problems will be easier to solve. Yet I do not understand why you would be so negative towards this post. It seems as if you have a bet that gw1 should never have another expansion / love toward it. I understand that we may not think the way you do nor do you think it will succeed but let us give it a try atleast. And if you do have some inside knowledge I would happily be a listening ear to that. But again the issues you stated are noted and will be spoken of when the time is there to do so. I would like to thank you for your input! And if there’s more we need to know do be sure to tell us!

I’m sorry for any grammatical errors and/or typo’s I woke up 30 minutes ago wich is around 2am and am going back to sleep now.

• Mastinoo see, it'd have to be one of the first things. It's 8 central where I am in America right now. Arenanet is American. Most companies and jobs, etc. Rely on financial first. It's like that with any type of job here. Without financial, you get no where... I know. . have been low enough to sell items just to make ends meet.

It's a catch 22. You need money to get a car house, etc. . Transportation to job or even internet. Nothing really is free. You need a job to have money to get these things. So , even right now you need money here to do a start up company even gaming. I looked into the gaming side a bit. You can get a loan, but you have to pay it back or it hurts credit score... (Yet another thing I am learning on) and with no or little score and low income barely hanging on... You can't get a loan for a business, etc. Even to hire people to work for you to collaborate with Arenanet. Everything here revolves around job and money. ... You have a high credit score... It's easy. Everyone starts out at zero credit score.

So, they would probably hear proposal. If like, there'd be discussion of financial. You would have to be prepared. Not think it's something to do later. Many companies do this. It's a normal business practice here.

You would have to know the loans, the pros and cons, etc. There's been turn downs at a local company, because of no financial ideas, etc.

It's not specific. It's common.

So, it's not a later thing... As much as anyone would like. I would like that with things, but it doesn't work out. :(

• Ariyen I understand that money talks. Trust me I paid my own way through college and finishing up my MBA while I’m working full-time as a business account manager for a telecom company. If you read the main post again you will see that EMPEROR has mentioned finances as the most important core issue for this. That is why our core team consists of MBAs, FEs and several BEs to get this done right. Now why would I state that the financial issue would be spoken of a little further down the line then? Well gathering votes will take enough time let alone a petition. As you can imagine I don’t have time like I used to back in my teens. So before, I would spend time on making financial calculations which do take a lot of effort. I would want to be sure that there is enough interest of the community for me to be as dedicated as can be. But if I were to spend the time and we wouldn’t even get 500 votes it would be a waste of time. This is sad but true. Not just for me but for anyone involved.

And if I think that 500 votes is a starting point to make calculations, what would Anet think? So there is enough time unless magically tomorrow we have 10k votes. Do not worry about the financial situation it will be sorted in due time. Ideas and calculations have already been made just not as in-depth as the need to be. But they will be before we would even knock on the door.

For now we need public acknowledgement and support. So let’s get those votes. And fight as hell to get us that expansion.

• So...

I'm not a moderator and I have no power here. Some people know me, some people don't.

I'm a guy who has played for a while and am more invested in this game than most.

And I have 2 more cents to plunk down.

It seems to me that no one here is completely right or completely wrong. Passions have been aroused and people have gotten excited. Lots of people have lots of important things to say about an important question. That's great, and it's because it means lots of people love this game. In that greatness, however, problems can arise when priorities aren't shared and people don't feel listened to. Ideas get trampled or ignored or shouted down.

I think it's best for everyone to take a step back and a deep breath and reconsider why this thread was started and what our respective purposes are for posting here. As a group and community we need to organize this energy in the most useful way possible.

Maybe what we need is not one place for all these different ideas and priorities. Maybe we need two, or three.

Maybe votes for or against an expansion and comments related directly to those votes belong here.

Maybe a different thread can be made for discussion of other matters or strategies related to a potential expansion that do not directly involve votes.

I am simply suggesting organization. This will make the material contained in these threads more practical for its purpose. It will make for freer discussion of different topics because others will not be trampled or pushed to the side. I am not suggesting editing, silencing, suppressing, delaying, deferring or censoring anyone's thoughts or ideas. This just too broad a conversation being addressed from too many angles to be contained in one thread at this point.

Like Mastinoo said, what is needed HERE is public acknowledgement, support and votes. I agree. Even if you vote against an expansion, that is still acknowledgement and votes. What we need ELSEWHERE is a different thread so that the discussions that have started and the ideas that have arisen in parallel with the original petition can be considered, explored and eventually incorporated into further efforts if this manages to get off the ground.

A lot of words for a simple, obvious idea that can help everyone interested in this topic and its various facets all exist in perfect harmony.

Ebony and Ivory.....

(That's Stevie Wonder in case you're too young. YouTube it.)

Thanks for reading. I'll be watching you. Please proceed with my best interests at heart <3.

Kabong

• Amount would mean little to nothing.. doesn't matter how many people like it. Look up the other petitions to get an idea as to how many fans would support. That's not the thing nor would show how many people would buy and many degrees means little versus experiences. I have had so much education that I have been turned down for lack of experience.

I learned since. Age doesn't matter. What matters is learning what problems are and creating ideas and suggestions. That's the first step. A good deal of improvements to bring players back. Then show all of that and ask even in a poll. How many would support those changes. Not just an expansion in general that's being badly vague... It may gain support, but would leave many wondering where, etc. That could hurt and not gain those additional points. Why when with Any suggestions as I have done with companies... You have solutions. Like I suggested to some to help people in need that can't afford formula, etc. For parents. Tide helped wash the clothes. A college switched from using out dated email and chat to Google. Google created scholar.google.com , classroom.google.com and more. I helped. I still have a college email address. 😄

So, having thought out plans that can help - works better than nothing and I would say this is more like a rough draft not completely thought out. If you want expansion, etc. Have contingency plans. Suggests that would include pvp improvements that could likely work, pve improvemets and additions. Willing to help show them that artists, etc. Would be paid for that financial is your expense as this is your suggestions. To help show how to rid of things ideas to improve the game in general. All laid out. Then get votes and take what you have to every location possible. Then go to Arenanet and NcSoft.

Treat this As the suggestions etc. That could help. Not shooting people down, because they disagree with you. Often may be reasonable... Again. All can be towards contigency plans.

• Thanks for the like, ariyen.

I hope it means you will consider my suggestion in the future.

Your subsequent post is a good example of one that may detract from the quality of the current thread but be more appropriate in a different "suggestion box" type thread designed for suggestions and discussions as described above.

Best,

Kabong (not a mod so I'll stop now)

• I've tried to stay outside of this conversation for a while, but I'm going to step in now and clarify a few things:

NCSoft hasn't had anything to do with Guild Wars since september 2015 - at that point, ArenaNet took over the publishing of both GW1 and GW2 - whilst ArenaNet is still owned by NCsoft, the direct involvement of NCsoft in operations have been cut since then.

That's also the reason why the in-game shop closed, as that was being run by NCsoft.

Does that mean that NCsoft doesn't care? Well, NCsoft is more focussed on Asia nowadays and ArenaNet has proven that they can handle running an MMO and the business side - so they're a bit more out of sight.

For GW1 to get a new expansion, a few things would need to happen:

- They'd need to train a new team to use the GW1 engine and tools - since most of their current team is working on GW2 and they need those people there - they won't remove people from GW2 to improve GW1.

- The GW1-tools have been broken terribly and have been a nightmare to use for years. Joe Kimmes was responsible for adding the Balthazar weapons (it was a pet project of him) and it took him a very long time to get the tools to work at all - which is understandable, since those tools didn't get any use in the last 5 years.

So, in order to fix those, they'd need a sizeable programming team to properly fix them and probably would need to build a few new ones.

- Bill/Stephen have been trying to add new features (like the item rarity coloring, bigger bags), but it caused a lot of issues when they tried to implement it - I'm not sure if it's still coming, I sure hope so, but the GW1 engine is very old by now. Knowledge of it has lessened in the company (not only due to people leaving ArenaNet, because a ton of GW1 people still work there), but if you stop working on something you lose knowledge of the structure quickly (I'm a sysadmin/devops, I know what I'm talking about here :P).

- If all of these hordes have been tackled with, new content would be possible - but it would take a year before anything would come of it, at the least. You'd need people to get used to the tools and software and that's something which takes a while. Since the live team was about 10 people, those were able to create sizeable content drops in the game, but those were rather small and released in bits.

- Would it still be financially viable to create new content? Whilst I don't doubt that there are a lot of players and a lot of returning ones, I don't know about this. You'd need to train new support staff, hire a new team and train them, the costs to get everything working again and up to modern standards... it's going to be really expensive. GW hasn't had new content for years and the community, while still being sizeable, might not be big enough to support all of this.

Once all those hordes have been passed, a new expansion might be feasible. But those are quite big hurdles.

Should we get this big enough, I don't doubt things are possible - but we'd need A LOT of people to pull this off.

We're here to offer the place to let you promote this and if we can we'll try to help, but this isn't an easy feat to pull off - remember that the original campaigns were made by about 50 employees in about a year - to get a return on that, you'd need to sell a lot.

So, all in all: not impossible, but nearly. But there might be a small chance.

What I think is more realistic is having a small live team again that can create some small content drops, perhaps and work on small improvements that the game still needs. That alone would be amazing for me and much more likely to happen.

- Kevin

• Quote from Kevin

What I think is more realistic is having a small live team again that can create some small content drops, perhaps and work on small improvements that the game still needs. That alone would be amazing for me and much more likely to happen.

- Kevin

And I for one would be quite happy with that! Thanks for the very insightful input, Kevin.

P.S. Do you think they will one day give us a good use for superfluous skill points and worthless XP? :cookie:

Lose a minion, make a minion.

• I'm all in favour of an expansion, would be great! I'm sure if you surveyed players, they would all say the same. It's a bit like getting a petition to keep the local pub open- 99% say they are in favour of it. 80% say they will use it. 10% actually use it, it loses money and closes down.

As I pointed out earlier and echoed by Kevin, smaller bits would be much more likely to happen. An entire expansion would need a budget running into several millions as well as 1-2 years lead time, plus advertising, recruitment, etc so $10-$20m US Dollars as a bare minimum. To recoup that sort of cost needs sales of 1m copies. Let's face it, none of that is likely unless someone supporting this voting has very deep pockets. Is one of you called Musk? Until someone comes forward with some concrete proposals, a petition isn't going to get anywhere. Just look at the history of online petitions to see how little effect they have on gaming companies generally. Money talks.

Additional dungeons in Tyria could be relatively easy using only Tyrian skills (Codex coding allows skill restrictions, so coding is there), Nm and HM exist, so it's then a question of what might drop from the end chest and then making the dungeon so you cannot SC it.

And the very real issue is that 99% of players don't even know this site exists so you aren't going to get very far using this site. What you need is to push it using social media and build up a following backed with some hard cash and advertising spend- then you might get the company's attention.

• Having read this thread, I've got to applaud the passion and enthusiasm, but if this was really a viable option, don't you think the owners of the game (whoever they may actually be at this point) have considered the economics and rejected this proposition? Much as we may care for the game, if spending money on GW1 does not hold out a realistic prospect of a decent financial return, then it simply won't happen.

I've enjoyed playing this game since 2005, and still log on from time to time to do Nic quests. I simply don't expect any further development.

[font="Times New Roman"]I will show you fear in a handful of dust.[/font]

• Victory agree 💯%. I have seen so many similar and same petitions with zero real proposals,.details, etc. As I suggest... And they all failed... I have pointed out problems that I see and know from former and current gw sites. Some are shut down, etc. So of course not everyone is going to understand at all. Notice, no thoughts or solutions. Just complaints. These things have everything to do with expansion suggestion, etc. As all that's current will happen there as well....

So, if the current can't be considered or solved.... There's no point continuing. If just vague suggestions is considered enough... There's tbh lack of experience.

So, with that said... "A lot more needs to be planned out, before getting 'sound' votes." Not just another "I want an expansion!! I have people who want it who are developers". Codes, etc. Change. I don't think they know older code. Schools don't teach older codes, etc.

I have a degree in networking, etc. Learned some on programming like visual basic etc. That's no longer used.

So, I know things change. 😒

Why I say this. Education isn't going to help in some areas without experience.... I have learned more on my own or be taught by others, than a school could teach. Experiences can help broaden the mind.

If this was me, I would redo with details that could help even with the current problems, etc. And details of plan etc. That could counter most questions or problem points. Then get more sound votes.

Other types of proposals and petitions that I have seen are more like that. (Subscribed to three petition sites at least.)

Thanks.

• That's the thing, isn't it? We can all sit around the campfire singing Kumbaiya and High Hopes, but at the end of the night, all that gets us is a bunch of burnt marshmallows.

We talk about using this poll to see whether it is worth the effort or not to pursue this thing any further. But what does that really mean? What's the magic number, and why is it that number? Either this is a thing worth pursuing or not. Since most of us would like to see GW1 return to active development, then for me it is worth pursuing. What is the stumbling after that? The financials.

So, in that case, are there enough players to support the costs of starting up development again. Many of us already touched upon that subject, and why it is not a simple yes or no question.

Let's make it simple.

GW went into maintenance mode a decade ago. That's 10 years of players hoping and asking for more content. How many players do we have today? I'm willing to estimate that our active playerbase is about 10,000 players. I'm also willing to bet that CoH had a lot more than that when it was shut down, and it was still an active game.

In order for this to get any traction, we would need every single one of those 10k players to buy into the cost of new content, just to have any hope of covering just the cost of a small expansion. Does anyone here REALISTICALLY think that is going to happen?

As much as I want it to, I just don't see it happening.