This game needs an update .

• wait, so you expect the game that is how its always been to have features from the game you hate, but only the one thing you like (free shits?)

You do get free skills.

You even get a free tormented weapon.

All they ask is you spend a little time on quests.

ꚛꚙꚛ Ouch My Assassin | Raise R Bladez ꚛꚙꚛ

• agree with a good update being necessary but not something for the sake of keeping the player-base preoccupied with fluff so to speak. I still have hope for a minor-midsized graphics upgrade at the very least.

Not expecting a skill balance patch but I think they fixed the ridiculous anti farm laws of days of yore with the latest update. Tho not sure %100, here's to hopin.

• Personally i don't think that the priority right now is to make an update but more to ban the bots i'm not asking to ban all the bots but to make a small clean up for example in ha sometimes you have to wait 45minute to fetid because there are too many bot.

• NCsoft/Anet gave up GW 1 because the economic model of the game did not correspond any more to what NCSoft wanted (it is also NCSoft which wanted new episodes on the 1, to collect more profit. So were created: Factions, Nightfall and EOTN).

It's in the continuity that the maj should have seen the day, today it's too late for several obvious reasons:

1. If important maj, enough to make (re)come players = financial means = change of economic model. For me this is a no. (You are naive to believe in a subscription model without major economic changes).

2. If maj against bots = too late, the damage is done, the economy has been violated for so long that in the end there will never be a balance for an economy in this game. This is also true for GW2 and the abusive duplication of items, which nobody really knows how much and who has it. For PvP, it's even worse. (I also add that even if the maj works, it will be necessary to make players come back too, which puts us again to point number 1 above).

3. Minor add-on (no added content: graphics, extra storage, etc) = no real impact on the game, it's just "wanker-brain" (FR: branlette cérébrale), nothing more.

Those who arrive or stay on GW1 have to accept it or remain naive on these points. Besides, a good part of the community just flies over the game, never post here or on another dedicated forum and don't understand the ins and outs of it, whether it's on the light side or the dark side.

• The couple devs left *have* done some small updates, but not for a couple years.

Really the biggest thing i wish they thought to do other those few "low hanging fruit" updates like the 2x timer on the pre gate, enhanced draw distance, ingame clock, added hotkeys for all hero slots, etc (you can't say they *weren't* doing small updates semi recently)

The one big thing they missed that may even be easyish, would be to add font scaling options for the chatbox/interface. It's pretty small in 1080p, because face it gw *is* ancient and hi-def was a dream when it came out, and on a 4k monitor you need binoculars, and 8k a microscope.

• I don't see any bots.

Then you need glasses if you see no bots. Just go kamadan and look how much there is gold seller or in toa or in ha ae1....

• I don't pay attention to the trade channel just the party channel if I need a run in some missions .

But even without pay attention to the trade channel just go in toa id1 or HA ee1 or just look the fight in ha.

• I didn't get that last update on new elite skills as it was removed .I would say more outposts eg The Falls .I would like to see free make ups .Lower the price on crafted weapons'

I don't see any bots.

before you go online and complain about the game not getting updates, only to then argue you missed them is nonsense in my opinion.

you can still get the new elite skills, there was just the anniversary event where you get the item to cap them.
    If you didnt get it ask for someone who has it.

also bots are literally everywhere you go.

there are outposts who are abandoned bc there is nothing to do.
    why would you update such outposts?

also which prices on crafted weapons are you talking about? those from merchants and such cost literally nothing.
    even destroyer weapons are cheap as fuck,

i suggest you play the game a little while.

and if you wonder why nobody is playing the game anymore? its a 17yo game with a playerbase of 25k ish

• This game needs an update .It needs to be on par with GW2 as in that game they give out lots of free stuff while in this game you have to make it and spend gold on it .GW2 gives out free skills .

You missed the many times of free stuff here clearly... Not trying to be mean or rain on your parade, but check out the Official wiki.
    You farm for things, there's free drops, etc. It's easier to find out all this on the official wiki, than be rude with a post going this should be like gw2 with free items, etc. , not knowing that gw1 is a predecessor and honestly a well thought out game.

:heart: By the light of the fire and the sparkle of the stars, you came to realize the meaning of true love. - Lori B. :rit:

• Personally i don't think that the priority right now is to make an update but more to ban the bots i'm not asking to ban all the bots but to make a small clean up for example in ha sometimes you have to wait 45minute to fetid because there are too many bot.

Agreed. If Anet decides to do anything in this game, their first priority should be eliminating the bots and real money traders.

"To be spoken well of in my line of work could be disastrous for my career." - The Ninth Gate.

• I don't think the game necessarily needs an update to bring up the population.

IMHO, Prophecies and/or PVP-only should become free to play for new users.

If a.net needs to revamp the monetization, why can't they offer "starter packs" or platinum purchases.

This game has unique mechanics that have yet to be recreated in new games.

• I don't think the game necessarily needs an update to bring up the population.

If a.net needs to revamp the monetization, why can't they offer "starter packs" or platinum purchases.

I dont much care for people purchasing gold via real money, I think the big thing for bringing the player base back would be revamping pvp and rewarding for such. I also think all updates and frequent updates would add to the gameplay and bring people back who get "bored"

• the game is nearing two decades old, and has been fully automated for upkeep for ~10 yrs, there is *maybe* two ppl actively working on gw.

Yes, it's unique.

Yes, gw2 is not very similar.

But, they are *not* going to say "hey, lets give up ppl from gw2 to go do big updates to the old game very few people play"

Be glad with the gfx and QoL updates we got, even those were above and beyond what anyone should *reasonably* expect from a game that has been out of active development for over 10 yrs.

I was one of those that defended GW or part of the game to become F2P, and its actually the worst thing that could happen to the game.

You make a game F2P when its in active development and u update the shop with stuff. GW is not in development and the shop doesnt get any microtransaction item, so ur basically gonna flood the game with more bots, and those buying accounts to bot or manipulate the game are gonna do it for free (so less income for Anet), also the ppl getting banned wouldnt buy more accounts. Its absolutly nonsense.

This game needs soooo many updates that you would need like 20 engineers to work for 1 year at least before starting puting content and promotion. Even in Gw2 its hard for them to update to dx11 and change systems, imagine in gw1 that is x10 more obsolote in all means.

• I was one of those that defended GW or part of the game to become F2P, and its actually the worst thing that could happen to the game.

You make a game F2P when its in active development and u update the shop with stuff. GW is not in development and the shop doesnt get any microtransaction item, so ur basically gonna flood the game with more bots, and those buying accounts to bot or manipulate the game are gonna do it for free (so less income for Anet), also the ppl getting banned wouldnt buy more accounts. Its absolutly nonsense.

This game needs soooo many updates that you would need like 20 engineers to work for 1 year at least before starting puting content and promotion. Even in Gw2 its hard for them to update to dx11 and change systems, imagine in gw1 that is x10 more obsolote in all means.

They could do prophecies as f2p but instead of the 24hr period on new accounts they could make it permanent until purchase. Not sure that would do much for the game's population though.

• It's a bit double: GW2 is an entirely different game that has different monetization. You get "some" free stuff, while all stuff in GW1, with the exception of costumes, is free.

There are multiple ways in going with a game: either you earn income through box sales (like GW1 did), you earn income through a monthly subscription (like World of Warcraft does) or you earn income through a F2P cash shop.

Each of these has it's own drawbacks: for Guild Wars 1, it meant that they always would need to work on the next big thing and come out with bigger and better features, more classes and skills, which increased the difficulty of both the game as well as keeping the balance. Since they only earn money when they actually sell a expansion/campaign, they are forced to expand the world, spreading the players more and more. This however, had one benefit back in the day, in that all rewards were included in the game and microtransactions only landed later in Guild Wars 1 with mainly customes as well as account upgrades.

If you go with a monthly subscription, your main goal is not to make a fun game, but to keep players playing: so you introduce grind, or artificial limits. You create new systems every expansion so that players will need to work hard to finish them, only to abandon them in the next expansion and introduce other systems and so on. Since you want your players to stay subscribed, you introduce FOMO and you can't really afford not to play, since you will get behind very quickly and this will, in turn, make it a lot harder for you to catch up.

Because you have a subscription fee, however, you already have a steady stream of income and you can give away nice loot for free, give away really nice skins. Some of the monthly subscription games (actually, almost all of them) nowadays have a cash shop as well, but you can actually earn a lot of nice rewards in the game itself.

Finally, the F2P cash shop model that Guild Wars 2 has is quite fair, but it has many drawbacks: it actually forces the best skins and rewards to the cash shop. They don't need you to play, so they can just focus on making the gameplay fun. However, their main income (and probably only income, except for the expansion packs) comes from mainly cosmetics. That means that those cosmetics need to be above the ones that you can get for free in game, since you do want to earn money. So, you limit a range of cosmetics to only be available in the cash shop (in GW2, that means that mount skins and glider skins are virtually only available in the cash shop, with some exceptions. Skiffs and fishing poles follow the same example).

Since every skin is potential revenue, the best looking skins will land in the cash shop. This has led to a lot of flashy, particle-heavy skins being introduced in GW2.

So having said all that, in order to make Guild Wars 1 free to play, the entire game would need to change business model and get a rework to be suitable for a cash shop: because, let's be honest, there is barely anything that you can buy that most players will want to buy.

In essence that would mean that if new content were to drop, chances are that good looking skins would only be available from the cash shop - since Guild Wars 1 lacks transmutation, that would likely mean that a transmutation system would be coming. This will likely destroy the economy which is currently based around the rarity of drops and combination of stats/skins. That would mean that you'd only need 1 great item drop and you could make it look like whatever.

Next to that, new ways to monetize would be required: that could be DLC, imagine content drops like the War in Kryta or Winds of Change locked behind a purchase.

It would likely mean that a lootbox system would be added as well, since that generates quite a lot of profit - however, what kind of things would work in a lootbox? Rare weapon drops, rare armor pieces, rare dyes, new runes and insignia's?

In order to make GW1 a free to play game, the game would need a huge overhaul in order to make it financially sound and I don't think that is what we as players would want to see happen. While I would love a transmutation system to be added, it would be a disaster for the economy. I'd love more dyes to be added in the game, but those would likely be a cash shop item. An achievement overhaul would be really fun too as an addition to the quest system. More replayable content would be fun.

There are many positive things that can be added to the game, but with a change of business model, a change of what content lands and what it needs to be changes.

That is mainly why I don't see Guild Wars 1 turning to a free to play model, and is mainly why the game is so expensive to get into these days: the game was simply made to contain a lot and is barely monetized. Imagine buying a complete game for 40 euros in 2022, that contains many hundreds hours of gameplay with no monetization at all (or barely any). Getting into GW2 itself has a base price of 30 euro's for either one or a pack with 2 expansions, but more realistically you'd be in 100 euros for all living story content at minimum.

So, would it be healthy for Guild Wars 1 to turn into a free to play game? I highly doubt it would, since our expectations of what the game needs to be would be very out of sync with what ArenaNet would need it to be.

For the future of the game, should they ever decide to come back at it, I'd hope they would introduce new things but keep the boxed entry price and add in new, fair ways of monetization:

- I'd love an achievement overhaul and achievement rewards like in Guild Wars 2.

- I would love to have Legendary Weapons in Guild Wars 1 as well, but in a Guild Wars 1 way - that means, you should not be required to pump a ton of materials in, but gain it by doing the games content and earn it (by completing, for example, collections or achievements). Legendary weapons should also be grounded in visual style to match the rest of the game, but how cool would it be to wield a Balthazar inspired greatsword that you could gain for Fissure of Woe (I'm aware of the Balthazar set :P) or a Grenth-based staff or scythe from Fissure of Woe (again, I am aware of the Scythe of Dhuum - but it should be something in terms of that).

- I'd love a quest menu overhaul just to make it a bit easier to browse, as well as making it easier to track which quests you haven't completed yet.

- In the same spirit, I would introduce a new dailies interface in the quest menu.

- I'd love for new content and DLC to land in the game, that wouldn't need to be huge at all - a new dungeon, for example, with unique rewards. Or story content like the Winds of Change (I'd easily pay 10-15 euro for that content personally), again, with unique rewards.

- Since the economy hasn't got enough sinks and there are tons of materials in the game, new materials would need to be introduced (probably timegated) for new rewards and new sinks for older materials would need to be introduced (again, probably best to timegate these).

- A meta shakeup would be nice with new balance and some profession overhauls, but these are more work to do.

- New festival quests and new rewards.

- It would destroy the current economy, but a transmutation system would be really cool so you would be able to more easily mix and match armor and weapon skins. Transmutation charges should be earnable in game or buyable in shop.

- That would mean introducing a wardrobe like Guild Wars 2 has, where you can unlock skins and unlock rewards when you, for example, unlock all of the skins of one set.

- New hard mode quests would be appreciated.

- Newly added content should always have replayability, like for example the War in Kryta finale should be a "regular" mission with a hard mode and map marker, and should be replayable.

- Replaying missions should reward a mission token for exclusive rewards for that mission or region - for example, the Ascalonian region could reward Charrslayer weapons. Kryta could give you White Mantle rewards. The Maguuma Jungle could give you some Druid-inspired weaponry, the Ring of Fire could give you the Magma-weapons (but more extended), perhaps with some visual changes or a special look.

- You should be able to earn all of the weapons of the end-game weapon sets (for completing Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, Eye of the North etc). Perhaps with mission tokens, or by playing the Glint quests for Prophecies (and for example, when clearing afflicted from areas in Factions).

- Overhaul the title book system, keep them in the game, but perhaps a completed book can be used to get special rewards if you have maxed a title - for example, a special Kurzick rune, a new Kurzick weapon set (perhaps just a reskinned one), minipets, tonics...

There would be plenty of things that can be added and changed, and I truly think this game still has potential (in fact, I think it could have been going strong if the development continued alongside GW2) and it could still flourish. I know that many of my ideas are simply impossible as it stands right now, and I am still glad that I can still play the game that had such a profound impact on my life and enjoy it. I hesitate to complete some goals, even, to keep having a reason to play (I haven't completed the Kurzick title track or the Luxon one, for that example).

Guild Wars has been a part of my life through the best and worst moments of my life and it has always been there for me - there were years that the only thing I could talk about, was Guild Wars (I think I had to be 15 or 16 back in the day and it honestly was the only thing I spoke about).

I realize that I was quite a bad player back then and just mashed together skills (still proud of the Sever Artery, Gash, Sun and Moon Slash, Dragon Slash combination I thought of back in the day), before we had things like PvX or Metabattle. I remember being stuck at Zen Daijun for literally months, ragequit at Gyala Hatchery and then just decided to go Kurzick (best choice of my life - but I still hate the Eternal Grove ;)).

I love this game with every little fiber of my being and I'm really thankful that I can still play it - I'm a noble unknown in the community and when Guild Wars Legacy launched, I simply used my real name as nickname here. Why did I do that? Was it because I was ashamed of how bad a player I was, or because I'm just humble (I highly doubt that), or was it because I was afraid I wasn't good enough and thought I wouldn't be able to get the support behind me that I needed? I think it's mainly the last one and I just want to end my enormous post here as a big thank you for all of you who made Legacy the success it has become (for me, but also for the community). My heart is in this game and the great community, and I'll forever be here for anyone who loves the game and I'll do anything I can do to make the game even better (once, I dreamed of moving to America and trying to get a job at ArenaNet, only to not believe in my skills and pursue the easiest road ahead of me - something I still regret, but I am thankful of all the chances I have gotten so far.

So, thank you all for being here, for being the most amazing community I have ever been a part of. Thank you ArenaNet for creating the game that formed me into who I am, that gave me the stories and characters that I hold so very dear to my heart. Thank you Jeremy Soule for creating the sound track of my youth (even though he really isn't the best person around). Thank you Gaile Gray for believing in me and Legacy when we just started and for letting me attend 2 Gamescom parties in the Haxenhaus in Germany (the last time I went there, was extra magical and important to me. I brought a friend of mine with me, who could speak/translate German, and by the end of the evening she was my girlfriend (and still is!), so even for that I have to thank Guild Wars!). Finally, thank you, Stephen Clarke-Willson, for keeping the lights on for the Guild Wars servers as the Guild Wars 1 Game Director.

You are all amazing (and this has gone on way too long, so I'll stop here). I can't thank all of you enough.

- A strangely emotional Kevin

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

obey.jpg

• Wow, what a passionate post! I agree with your thoughts on the various monetization models for games. Personally, I love Guild Wars 2 and have spent countless hours in it, but I've never played the first one. Your ideas for improving the game sound amazing, and I hope that someday they come to fruition. Thanks for sharing this post and reminding me of the joy that video games can bring.