Canthan universal Focus Items

• Hey folks. I was thinking about the relative rarity of Paper Fans, Straw Effigies, and Jugs (Plagueborns too I guess, though they seem a bit more common).

Personally, I've had precisely three perfect (usable, not multi-profession) dual mod drops - all with mediocre mods. Two Jugs (q9 DF, +1/20 Smiting, +15/-1) (q9 SP, +5AL^50, 10HCT) and one Paper Fan (q12 SR, +5AL^50, +1/20 Death). I used to run the Deep like a madman with Lynette LeSange, and never saw a single perfect Effigy (usable I mean - I'm sure there were some mixed-profession perfect-mod drops that got vendored).

So I'm wondering what's out there on active accounts, or what people have seen in the past. I can't recall seeing anything mindblowing in the first three skins, even in the Guru glory days.

So show us what ya got!

• They indeed are very rare! It was nice when years ago ppl still appreciated nice offhands even with 1-3pts off because they knew how rare they are, now ppl only want perfects :(

By far nicest excisting is LukeD's q9 sr 20/20 Curses straw, also the only of these skins in 20/20 basically, well there are some plagueborns but atleast never seen fan/jug and thats the only straw.

I cant remember exacly how many different mod combinations these offhadns may have, but its insanely many different mods, so no wonder they are rare!

This isn't my best of those skins, but this has special spot in my heart since it is the ONLY offhand i saved when i quit in 2011 and sold everything except this offhand and 1 shield heh

Lx3dK3F.png

Bought this straw for ~70ectos back in 2006, back then could've got two relatively rare q8 +5es or 15^50 for that price :D Now this would be trash to most

Looking forward seeing some nice Offhands! Caster items get way too little love from collectors! :)

• Best Jug I ever had was this R7 Divine +5^50 / 20% Recharge Healing, from my “sure, I can Monk” days. I mentally slap myself daily for selling it when I “quit” GW. (Just recently found the pic on an old thumb)

Also have these half decent specimens of those skins.

No fans, never really liked the skin and they seem to be the most rare(well modded) of the bunch.

Plagueborn, I have this 20/20

• so please Oofus don't you dare call that q9 20/10 earth straw effigy "half decent" again or I'm calling the police and sue you so you lose custody for it, it ends up for adoption and I will jump in as parent... that's one of the best foci I have seen!

Edit: on topic - hasn't there been a q7 19/19 multiproffession foc somewhere?

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• so please Oofus don't you dare call that q9 20/10 earth straw effigy "half decent" again or I'm calling the police and sue you so you lose custody for it, it ends up for adoption and I will jump in as parent... that's one of the best foci I have seen!

Edit: on topic - hasn't there been a q7 19/19 multiproffession foc somewhere?

Actually there was q7 20/19 Plagueborn focus, water if im not completely mistaken, i have the name of the guy right on back of my head just cant spill it out heh, wanna say it was guy called Gutemuh on gwguru.

Indeed oofus those offhands are great! The q7 jug is still safe at its current owner!

• Here are some from my old necro collecting days. Nec was the only caster I ever really collected for and I focused on staves at the time but a few wands and offhands managed to fall into my lap. There used to be more, here's what's actually left on my account (at least that I found easily).

Effigies by attribute

N4S458R.jpg

All-purpose nec fan

3E8mvXG.jpg

Curses plague

175n1Le.jpg

Hope this scratches some kind of itch for you ;)

<3[PhD]<3

• Great stuff, Kromp. But you really need a 20/19 Blood Effigy. :)

So as someone who wasn't around pre-Nightfall, I don't really get ANet's design decisions regarding dual-mod items (shields, wands, focii). Was it their intention that these items be rare in an even borderline usable state? Am I correct in assuming that most players used either greens or collector/crafted blues if they wanted a dual mod item with nice stats? Were there player complaints regarding relative rarity that lead to the inscription system?

It's a strange decision to make dual-mod stuff so rare with good stats when melee weapons and even staves are relatively easy to get. I'm not a game designer, but I would think the goal should be for everything to drop somewhat equally. I don't mean that a 20/20 wand or offhand should be just as common as a 15^50 sword, but there should definitely be more around than can be counted on one hand. Especially with the amount of botting that has gone on in Cantha.

• Were there player complaints regarding relative rarity that lead to the inscription system?

There were... a few... “vocally dissatisfied” players that led to the inscription system yeah.

So as someone who wasn't around pre-Nightfall, I don't really get ANet's design decisions regarding dual-mod items (shields, wands, focii). Was it their intention that these items be rare in an even borderline usable state? Am I correct in assuming that most players used either greens or collector/crafted blues if they wanted a dual mod item with nice stats? Were there player complaints regarding relative rarity that lead to the inscription system?

It's a strange decision to make dual-mod stuff so rare with good stats when melee weapons and even staves are relatively easy to get. I'm not a game designer, but I would think the goal should be for everything to drop somewhat equally. I don't mean that a 20/20 wand or offhand should be just as common as a 15^50 sword, but there should definitely be more around than can be counted on one hand. Especially with the amount of botting that has gone on in Cantha.

The rarity discrepancy between martial and caster items appears to be intentional, the math alone doesn’t seem to justify the severity of the differences. I think the clearest example that, anecdotally, demonstrates this is the extreme differences in shields and focus items, perfect dual-mod shields are ‘a dime a dozen’ while perfect focus items are probably the rarest group of items overall.

• Nice stuff above, I can't compete with those but here are some of my favorites from my vault.

I included a few Paper Lanterns as I find these to be difficult to get nice ones of as well.

You will see a snapshot of a trend, I have acquired a lot of vs Plant stuff over the years.

Q8-Straw-Effigy.jpgStaw-Effigy.jpg

Q8-Plagueborn-Focus.jpgQ8-Plagueborn-Focus2.jpgPlagueborn-Focus.jpg

Jug1.jpgJug2.jpg

Paper-Fan.jpg

Paper-Lantern1.jpgPaper-Lantern2.jpg

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• There were... a few... “vocally dissatisfied” players that led to the inscription system yeah.

The rarity discrepancy between martial and caster items appears to be intentional, the math alone doesn’t seem to justify the severity of the differences. I think the clearest example that, anecdotally, demonstrates this is the extreme differences in shields and focus items, perfect dual-mod shields are ‘a dime a dozen’ while perfect focus items are probably the rarest group of items overall.

I wonder if the drop tables for caster mobs and chests favour staves by a healthy amount. Like, 55% Staff, 30% Wand, 15% Focus, or somesuch. I farm "A Chance Encounter" a fair bit, and I can say that staves drop far more than wands, and wands drop far more than focii. I should really be keeping track of my drops, but I'm far too lazy. ;)

• They're crazy rare. I have had many over the years, and sold many. I sold nearly all my straw effigies and all my jugs. I have always loved fans, so I still have a very good set of them.

Fire Fan

TypSut8.jpg

Earth Fan

WIW2mlN.jpg

Water Fan

JwLnCAt.jpg

Fire Effigy

R7BTllq.jpg

Fire Plagueborn Focus

1zoGOL3.jpg

Some extras here too . . . .

Q8 Singlemod Fan

ffBFlqK.jpg

And finally, just because someone mentioned it . . .

Q7 Gold Paper Lantern (has anyone seen another Q7 Gold max Lantern?)

7LGJX4d.jpg

Honestly, I think these multi-caster off-hands are the rarest generally obtainable Guild Wars items. They are followed by multi-caster wands. Class specific offhand can be really are too though, especially single attributes. I believe Paper Lanterns are some of the rarest "non-rare" skins in game.

If I had to "order" Canthan multi-prof offhand rarity, I would probably say it goes: (1) Fan --> (2) Effigy --> (3) Jug --> (4) Plagueborn. Of course WOC farm and botting probably has changed that, same as Canthan staves and wands.

Great thread across the board.

<3 Yuko [PhD]

• I have it on good authority (from a Vabbian Gypsy fortune teller) that all 4 are matching 20/20.

Now that is some SERIOUS discipline!!

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• I will admit, this post motivated me to do some chest running aiming at any new focus that would want to drop... this is what I got soon after starting, not perfect but not too shabby

Q9-FC-Plagueborn-Focus.jpg

• Agreed that these items do not receive the attention they deserve. I really enjoy seeing the things posted above, even if a couple of them cause me to become dehydrated from the drools. Thanks for posting them.

I always manage to screw this part up (apologies in advance) but I'll attempt to add some of the stuff my Ele has managed to hold onto. Hope you find something you enjoy.

Edit: After the fact, I realized that I'm not sure why I put up Lanterns in a thread about universal foci, but there they are anyway. Tough to find good examples of these, just like with the universal stuff. My apologies - didn't mean to go off on a tangent. One internet demerit for me.

Lanterns

Effigies:

Jug:

Edited once, last by Kabong (May 7, 2020 at 10:36 AM).