• Hello everyone !

Since I came back into the game a few months ago, I met plenty of players who had no clue about chestrunning.

So I decided to write this guide, with information gathered mainly on this forum and wiki hoping helping some of us !

So what is it ?

Chestrunning is entering a zone with a running build to open the chests.

Why ?

-First of all it allows you to do 4 accounts titles at the same time :

R7 Treasure hunter (10.000 chests)

R7 Source of wisdom (10.000 golds identified)

R7 Cursed by fate (500.000 unlucky points)

R6 Blessed by fate (2.500.000 lucky points)

-And second : drops !

Keys or Lockpicks ?

-Keys are single use.

-Lockpicks have a chance to retain (so possible multiple use)

Only the use of lockpicks allows you to earn lucky/unlucky points (regarding if you break or retain it)

The lockpicks Retention Rate can be calculated :

RR = ( 0.5 * Level + 3 * Treasure Hunter rank + 2 * Lucky rank ) / 100

So no need to say that more your titles are up, more lockpicks you will retain, the less expensive it will become.

Chests

You will come across different type of chests, regarding the area you are.

chests.png

Only the chests marked in gold count towards the Treasure Hunter title track.

(This is due to the fact that chests have a level, I will talk about it later).

What's the differences between those different chests ?

The chests have a level, determined by the price of the key, the cheapest the key, lowest is the chest level.

That will determine the requirement/damage of the drops.

Your retention rate will also adapt to it.

NDLR : I couldn't find a chart of the max and lowest req per chest level, could be cool if someone has one :)

All the chests (by area) have a drop table of "core" items, and some also have in addition a table drop regarding the foes around it

(ex: a chest near afflicted will have a chance to drop some plagueborn items).

Normal mode or Hard mode ?

NM : higher retention rate, less golds, low req items (in low level chests), no tomes, most of the nm chests does NOT count for the title

HM : lower retention rate, more golds, regular and elite tomes, all the chests count towards the title

I personally chestrun in NM for 2 reasons :

-Max out my lucky title faster (or at least at the beginning to have a better Retention Rate)

-Low req items (shields/focii/swords can still drop in req 8 if the key cost 300/450g : maguuma, elonian, canthan) (more info down below in To go further)

How do I chestrun ?

You'll need a char able to run, best ones are obviously Assassin and Dervish. Other profession such as Ranger or Warrior can be viable, but less efficient.

Here are some basic builds :

A/El : OwZSg4PTSf6MHQLiIQ0k3lNQ (very tanky)

A/W : OwFSU5PTHQ8I6M3lNQTQIQ4O (get benefits of the shield armor putting some points in tactics)

D/A : Ogej4NfMLTjbHY0k3l8I6MHQ4OA (OP 50% speed boost)

Those builds have to be adapted regarding the area where you are running:

-I Am Unstoppable for KD and cripple

-Ebon Escape is good if you are running with other peoples

-Dwarven stability for longer stance + anti KD if use of alcohol

-Heart of Shadow or Death Charge or both ? I have a little preference for HoS since the cool down is faster

-Many more options

Where do I chestrun ?

Except few exception, all maps contains chests.

The amount of chests depends on the foes population in the area (minimum 1 maximum 5)

Display Spoiler

I read more than 5, but still a proof for that :D

I'm choosing my destination regarding what skins I want to drop (if you are not sure, check the wiki)

Let's keep in mind that Proph and Faction will drop uninscriptible items while NF and EOTN will drop inscriptible ones.

Assassin and Ritualist tomes/runes/insignia will drop in faction NF and EOTN

Paragon and Dervish tomes/runes/insignia/weapons will drop only in NF and EOTN

Maps

The chests will spawn randomly on the map, always on or near foes (so if there is an empty area, there won't be any chest)

There is a minimum distance between the portal you enter and the first possible chest

Here's some maps provided by our amazing community, big shout out to them!

Prophecy :

Reed Bog

Elona Reach Mission

Skyward Reach

Grenth's Footprint

Thunderhead Keep

Cave of Sorrows

Hell's Precipice

Faction :

Wajjun Bazaar

The Undercity

Gyala hatchery

Eternal Groves

Morostav Trail

Raisu Palace

Nightfall :

Gandara, the moon Fortress

Barbarous Shore

Joko's Domain

Poisoned Outcrops

Domain of Fear

Random

Thanks Looney for saving this from guru !

Settings :

2 small things who can help you a lot :

-in general, tick the "Show ally, NPC and item names" can also tick the last one but make your screen messier

show.png

-in control, bind a key to : Targeting: item - nearest and Targeting: item - next

target.png

The first one will help you to see the chests automatically without pressing alt

The second one allows you with the help of the space bar to target the chest and pick up your drop faster, without needing the mouse

Heroes :

Heroes can be more than helpful (speed boost, protection, cannon fodder, etc)

Here's some builds (once again to be adapted regarding your gameplay, area, etc)

Warrior : OQkiUxm8wW2x3Yf8bhrs3o3A

Paragon : OQGiUxm88W4K+4d8NmGThZxA

Hex Breaker : I always use it on my heroes when I chest run in a zone with heavy hex and snares. No need to micro it, the hero will just automatically use the stance.

Vocal Was Sologon : Great on paragon hero to extend the duration of the shouts and chants.

Can't touch this : Block any touch skills, especially useful in Silent Surf & Gyala hatchery against the carps. Also good in Raisu.

To the limit and Watch yourself : A good combo to give your party extra armor. No need to micro it the heroes are using "to the limit" rather well.

Unyielding Aura : In a chest running hero comp I always include at least 2 monks with unyielding aura. The hero know how to use it effectively, the insta rez is a great way to keep your team alive when chest running a tough zone.

We Shall Return : Similar to unyielding aura, it's a good insta rez for your para hero. If you slot it make sure to gear your hero accordingly (high energy rune and insignas and/or staff)

Aegis and Shield guardian : Those 2 skills are the bread and butter of a chest running prot hero. Really useful in zones with heavy physical pressure.

Never Give Up : A fun para skill often overlooked. Good for energy management and even better if you chest run with prot/heal heroes. The hero IA know how to use it effectively.

Many more builds can be added (I'm counting on you)

Tips :

-Rezone : go to the city you will be starting the runs from, leave to the area, and re enter the city. When you will resign you will respawn right behind the portal, that will save you some time not having to cross the city (it doesn't work for some outpost like Boreas Seabed or Gyala's Hatchery)

-Being prepared : build, armor with runes and insignias, caster weapons + shield (+10 vs fire in Hell's Precipice or +10 piercing against ranger), one staff to switch on if you are low energy)

-You have more chance to drop Vigor runes in Prophecy (since the other campaigns got the As/Rt/P/D runes in their drop table)

-Founding your lockpicks : runes and tomes are enough to pay for it (they are at 1.5k at merch, 1.250k for people owning a city, can be find cheaper at Kamadan)

Trivia :

Chests are generated as soon as you enter the zone and drops are already determined

Heroes do not influence the chest drops

Some chests can spawn after you've entered a zone (ex: Reed Bog, Hell's Precipice, Elona Reach)

To go further :

Chests

Lockpicks

Chest with q8 possibilities

Armors drop rate

Possible chest spawns per map

Feel free to add any builds, heroes builds, details, advice, I will be updating this post.

If you have any question regarding a specific chestrun listed above, please ask in the specific thread!

I want to say a big thanks to the members of our community who keep this forum alive and this e-sport (:p) great !

Special shout out to Agent Chevy , Red Fireball, Praise, Blind Was My Fury and many others !

Display Spoiler

Sorry for the long post, here's an open chest 200px-Locked-Chest-open.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by TongTong (February 1, 2021 at 5:12 PM).

• This is really helpful, thank you very much.

I will make a Poisoned Outcrops run (from Lair of the Forgotten) with the dots in the map to add it to the post when I have time again, because there is where I found all my Ancient Bows collection in purple and gold rarity from Locked Chests, and I know there are other people trying to find them too.

• Great write up Tongtong !

Heroes :

Heroes can be more than helpful (speed boost, protection, cannon fodder, etc)

Here's some builds (once again to be adapted regarding your gameplay, area, etc)

Many more builds can be added (I'm counting on you)

I will add some useful skills and combo for the heroes :

Hex Breaker : I always use it on my heroes when I chest run in a zone with heavy hex and snares. No need to micro it, the hero will just automatically use the stance.

Vocal Was Sologon : Great on paragon hero to extend the duration of the shouts and chants.

Can't touch this : Block any touch skills, especially useful in Silent Surf & Gyala hatchery against the carps. Also good in Raisu.

To the limit and Watch yourself : A good combo to give your party extra armor. No need to micro it the heroes are using "to the limit" rather well.

Unyielding Aura : In a chest running hero comp I always include at least 2 monks with unyielding aura. The hero know how to use it effectively, the insta rez is a great way to keep your team alive when chest running a tough zone.

We Shall Return : Similar to unyielding aura, it's a good insta rez for your para hero. If you slot it make sure to gear your hero accordingly (high energy rune and insignas and/or staff)

Aegis and Shield guardian : Those 2 skills are the bread and butter of a chest running prot hero. Really useful in zones with heavy physical pressure.

Never Give Up : A fun para skill often overlooked. Good for energy management and even better if you chest run with prot/heal heroes. The hero IA know how to use it effectively.

IGN : Veni Vidi Wiki

WTB Triple prof wands + Aegis/SotW + Prenerf runes + Sanhan's Staff (here)

• Hey there!

Just a little thing about rezone.

For example if you want to run Pongmei Valley by leaving Boreas Seabed, rezone doesn't work here, you will respawn randomly in the area.

Same for Ghyala's Hatchery outpost, you will respawn after the bridge.

Maybe other places got the same thing that should be know.

Thanks for this amazing work TongTong !