The number of possible chest spawns per map! A constructive discussion.

• Dear community,

first of all, english is not my native language so excuse the mistakes in the following text.

Today, someone in my alliance chat stated, that he had zero chest spawns while vanquishing Maishang Hills. I was answering in alliance chat that this is just impossbile. A map of this size has to have chests. After some minutes of discussion we both were still defending our statements. I am sure, maps of this size have chests. Especially Maishang Hills has some nice corners with pop-up spawns where chests often occur. Maybe he just missed these chests. Additionally, i do also miss chests sometimes and just see them when i am right next to them.

I know many people here run chests daily. I do also love to run chests in Pongmei Valley and i know i will always have between 3 and 5 (never had 6 so i am sure 5 is max for Pongmei Valley) chest spawns. Shadow's Passage is always one chest (not 100% sure).

Coming to the big question of all of this: Is it possible to have zero chests on a map like Maishang Hills? Which parameters have to be fulfilled to have at least one chest on a map (never saw a chest spawn on Saoshang Trail).

Regarding the second question i am somehow sure that there has to be a minimal distance between the portal where you enter a map and the first possible chest spawn.

Thanks for your help. I hope to see a nice discussion.

Have a nice day, stay healthy during corona pandemia and see you ingame!

-Jodel-

Edited once, last by Jodel_GW ().

• indeed a question I had in mind as well. Also had several discussions over the years. Personally I was long convinced the number of chests in a given area is constant. Usual chestruns often skip "ineffective" corners, where there is little chance for a chest which is why e.g. in pongmei the experience of the chestrunner is as you stated. I tried to check it on a few areas and could almost always find the same number in the same area. But there were exceptions... those were which I still seem to observe - like one chest less or more than "usual".

The general experience is: larger area = more chests. But checking on that it's more a false interpretation since usually larger area = more foes or better maybe even larger area = more foe groups. Now I don't know the answer to the question of the mechanics - those are just some thoughts I am sharing.

I'd suppose the number of foes or foe groups in a given area are relevant for the number of chests spawning. For a given area I do not even know if the number of groups per area is constant. But certainly the number of foes varies. And the number of chests as well - by now I am pretty sure about that. I spent 30minutes in vulture drifts trying to find the 5th chest just few days ago since it was the first time of me not finding a 5th one in more than 200 runs where I was checking for number of chests. So I'd suppose there may be fluctuation but rather due to different spawn numbers - also checking with different quests active changes the number of chests (in certain cases significantly) which again does not relate to the number of foes exclusively.

So long story short: anet really did an awesome job on the games mechanics - the spawning and looting rngs are things that still aren't understood after what? 15 years almost. It keeps the game exciting after all the time ;)

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• I am not sure if this applies to this area, but from experience in urgoz, sometimes a chest only spawns when you activate a pop-up (so only after popping it, a chest will spawn). I have also had this in different areas across factions while going for GWAMM. But again, I am not sure if it actually works like this. Hope it atleast helps a bit xd

• yes indeed - most popular the plagueborn chest outside kaineng. I did never observe it in prophecies. Definitely not in vulture drifts. I'd suggest if the algorithm of number of chests per area is clear those ones will just be identified as "hidden" but already foreseen.

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• i am kinda sure that this does not belongs to Maishang Hills. I did vq that are a lot and i know all hidden pop-up spots and the chests are always there before the pop-upo happens. i know that some chest can pop-up with the enemies (like Xander stated for Urgoz), but not in this area.

• sometimes a chest only spawns when you activate a pop-up (so only after popping it, a chest will spawn)

Yes this is one of two types of popups, the npcs including chest are only generated upon fulfilling a condition. The other type is where the npcs including chests are generated when you come into radar range (you can see this if you are holding ctrl key and looking the right direction, red names will appear and then disappear after a couple of seconds).

As far as I have observed, chests that spawn with the first type do count towards the total of the area. Like Red, I also think the number of chests per number of foe groups is constant (excluding portal influences, e.g. saoshang trail has 0 chests). The spawn location of chests is random though (with a certain minimum distance between them), meaning they aren't always evenly spread out.

Assuming that is all correct, is it possible to have 0 chests in maishang hills? There is only one explanation I can think of: your ally while vanquising accepted one of the quests in that area that spawns kurzick popups. Accepting or updating a quest can spawn those conditional popup foes including chests. Maybe he took the quest after vanquishing most of the area, thus never going back to those popups before completing the vanquish. It sounds unlikely, but not impossible...

On the other hand, another unlikely but still possible explanation is that your ally just missed them. Like you said, I also sometimes am standing right next to a chest and still miss it. Human error is a thing.

I did never observe it in prophecies.

In Gates of Kryta, after killing either the lone hellhound or the group of 4 ghouls, additional foes spawn and sometimes a chest. Also in Elona Reach, when you pick up the west shard, a group spawns and a gate to them opens (Chevy cleverly discovered this after noting that sometimes there were only 2 chests instead of 3). There are probably more like this in proph.

• cosyfiep

Changed the title of the thread from “The number of possbile chest spawns per map! A constructive discussion.” to “The number of possible chest spawns per map! A constructive discussion.”.
  • I love this topic!! I may have run a few chests in my time, stumbled over a few on accident (that may have been the grog in or out of the game hehe) but there are several environmental things as mentioned here that will impact chest spawns. The infamous foe pop-up does occur, not in all maps but several, and will at times effect if the chest is spawned prior to the pop up foe spawning or not. Oni is a good example that may not be visible but a chest will already be there before triggering the Oni. Then you have FOW which I run a lot during Pantheon week and that dang pesky spider cave will have a chest pop up behind you 50% or more of the time (always look behind you or hit your find next item button often while traveling through). As Praise mentioned, that Elona Reach chest in the far corner is actually triggered by picking up the shard which in return opens the gate.

There are also times where a chest can spawn literally outside of reach, which you can sometimes see, perfect example is EOTN Kilroy's punchout runs by the wolves, one will often spawn on the other side of the rocks. This makes me wonder if at times a chest can spawn outside of the "path" but not visible cause of where it spawned (just a hunch as there is no way to prove this).

Regarding Pongmei, the typical chest count is 5...….99% of the time. I have had a few times where I got 4 and ran all over the map a 2nd time looking for the one I missed cause stubborn me thinks that is the one with that q8 gold dual modded perfect bladed shield, and most of those times, there is not a 5th to be found. However, this is a statement that not everyone will believe me on, have had debates with others over this, I have seen 6 at Pongmei. This is rare, but it's all about the right amount of space between the chests. Most people think of 5 being the max and will stop, I do the same, but there has been times I have kept going in a very rare occasional, a 6th will be there (so don't rule out but also understand proof is wanted). If this happens again, I will screenshot my chat box with pick counts between the resigns.

With that in mind, not all areas have a set chest count that will be 100% of the time, and the size of the map may or may not always be the deciding factor. A lot of the low level areas even in HM, may only spawn 2 chests, like Jaya Bluffs. On the other hand, one of my favorite chest runs, Ice Dome, that is a relatively tiny map, can spawn 2-4 (yup sometimes 4) chests in a rather small area.

Lastly, the actual topic on hand, I cannot say I have experienced zero chests at Maishang Hills specifically, however I have elsewhere. One example of this that drove me crazy cause it happened often, is chest running at Turais Procession. I have had several occurrences of getting zero chests here even in a row, why, couldn't tell you, but it drove me bonkers!

My Legacy Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• Agent Chevy if i am right, Ice Dome has a high amount of foes whereas Turais is pretty empty. Maybe there really is a correlation between number of groups/foes and number of possible chests. Another addition: Turais has this weird spawns in the middle where just one foe after each other spawns until there is this boss spawn. Maybe each of these single foe counts as a group and can potentially spawn a chest. Thus, zero chests on that map without these spawns could be possible!? Distance between the spawns is also far enough for multiple chest i would say.

• Agent Chevy if i am right, Ice Dome has a high amount of foes whereas Turais is pretty empty. Maybe there really is a correlation between number of groups/foes and number of possible chests. Another addition: Turais has this weird spawns in the middle where just one foe after each other spawns until there is this boss spawn. Maybe each of these single foe counts as a group and can potentially spawn a chest. Thus, zero chests on that map without these spawns could be possible!? Distance between the spawns is also far enough for multiple chest i would say.

That may be the safer statement that chest counts are based on foe congestion versus actual size of the map. Even though Ice Dome only has 120-141 foes for a vanguish, they are in a very small area.

That's a great point of Turais, being that I was only after the chests for q8s, I didn't think about the possibility that they would be dependent on killing a specific foe, that would obviously still need to be proven but could be a possibility.

My Legacy Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• Just VQed Archipelagos with a total of 158 Foes. Had a total of TWO chests. Regarding the surface size it is compareable to Pongmei i would say. BUT Pongmei also just as something arround 150 Foes max but did show 4 to 6 chests. In my eyes there is no connection between map size/number of foes and the amount of possible chest spawns. This would more speak for a "fixed" range of chests per map.