Guru closing any minute

• Official Post

:D
    a chapter is ending with its closure...but a new dawn is on the horizon (ok, it is already here...pretend you are in hawaii).

will miss all the good (and bad) times on guru....nothing can quite replace it---like trying to replace a parent; just cant be done.

hello step parent! be kind to us!

• Official Post

lol....we all get to start over.
    (wooot I have 2 rep! and only ~40 posts....long hill ahead).

rep is gotten by folks rating your reply (that little thumbs up on the bottom right of your posts...next to pm and find).

perhaps they were just yanking our chains to see if we still wanted guru or not....or, their idea of july 1st is july 31st?

• Official Post

To quote you need to click the quote button on the post you want (you can click multiple posts if desired) then scroll down to the quick reply box and click the 'quote these posts now' link above the reply box. You can also manually type in the bbcode if you prefer; it's the same as it was on guru.

ah....needed to read the tiny print in the reply area (had to get my other reading glasses on to read that :o)
    thanks marty! (getting old really is annoying)

• Maybe a pic of fern?

edit: wanted to quote buzan, but now idea how xD. Anywho, Buzan use a pick of Fern as your new profile pic

yeah FERN!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

(no idea why the quote is not working...then again not sure how it works either :blush: )

NOW THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!! Fern totally wants to be my profile pic! He would look so happy there. I'll do that!

• yes, curse will not look kindly on mentioning legacy (though I have no issues with it--you could make your character name guild wars legacy?....or something like that---though not sure how much they would frown on that as well---though they do have a part in your profile for your website---).

not a happy camper it closed as I had spent most of the last 8 years glued to it, its like losing a pet or having your best friend move to another part of the world forever. :( :cry:

guess we need an OT section so I can continue my talks with pwnd :P (oh, and I won the last post thread...gave myself a pat on the head).

as they say all good things...
    and
    only the good die young.
    guru went well before its time, and just like the morning breeze in ascalon; we will remember it fondly---

another goodbye to my friend guru.

• Official Post

If this community is going to grow it needs to be in its own merit. Not by trying to get people in from another forum.

Already the only active part of both forums is really the trading. Where it's been expected for cosyfiep to take on new moderation duties which I think span two sites. I'm sure you're fine with it cosyfiep but I imagine it is still extra hassle and work same if people cross post their sell threads to both places.

Guru had a flutter of activity when it was mentioned it was going to close. There haven't really been any useful threads outside of trading for some time. Yes the collectors and traders show off their accomplishments but otherwise there isn't really much to discuss that hasn't already been said.

I don't have an answer just wondering if a large forum is what the game and community needs, if so then how can this one be of a benefit to the community over Guru2 if you want people to use this site instead/as well.

I have seen Reddit GW subreddit be more active in the last few weeks than either Guru2 or Legacy with people posting or discussing things.

What was the plan with Legacy. Was it just 'Guru is closing and we don't want to use Guru2 so here's a forum' or is there a more long term vision?

I think the game and community could benefit from some way to help people find others to play similar content with. It is all too easy to auto move through the game with Heroes now that unless people are put front and centre with others they won't bother, and people are attached to their Guilds and don't necessarily want to move even after the Guild is very inactive.

Just my thoughts, Legacy certainly has the freedom over Guru2 to be anything.

• What was the plan with Legacy. Was it just 'Guru is closing and we don't want to use Guru2 so here's a forum' or is there a more long term vision?

Just my thoughts, Legacy certainly has the freedom over Guru2 to be anything.

As I understand it, this was the reason Legacy was created.

And thank you Max and Cosy for telling me how to find the archive.

There certainly are a lot of cross listed sell threads.

• Official Post

I have no issues with cross threads, the sellers/buyers need to keep track of who bid on what and where--not me :D Guru only had a policy that you could not post a link to your other sites threads (though when auctions was running we did have a rule about posting things for sale in both---but that ended when auctions got borked).

Some sections of guru hadnt seen a new (non-spam) post in a very long time, while other sections (Q&A, Riverside) still had a small amount of traffic. I think most people were using guru as a resource since a LOT of questions had already been asked before so it was just a matter of searching (lol, the search button--another story) for a thread about what you needed. Ventari's was the major source of activity that was keeping guru alive--this we all know, with the selling part as well as the discussions about weapons et.al..
    I still believe that we need to have the option for the other areas as there are still people who have questions and now with guru gone (and even more difficult to find), those questions are going to come up again (wonder if the search is fixed now----). Currently navigating on Legacy is easier for me than 2 since it is similar to the set up and such that guru had---and could be a reason why folks would use it (I am having to learn how to basically walk again on 2--nothing is done the way it was on guru, even the infraction system is totally different--and not in a positive way imho).

and yes, all you can do it tell people there are options ....tell them what we offer here and what they can get on 2 and then they can decide where they want to do their surfing.

• The intention is (and always was) to be more than Guru. A lot of things are currently being planned (but not being worked on, probably my fault - I'm having a quite busy period now).

We want to be "more" than a generic forum, we want to be more tailored to GW than Guru was. Builds should be easier to find, perhaps a gallery, we're goint to mirror mods... those kinds of things.

If there's something you want added, just ask and we'll consider it.

We want to be the best place for Guild Wars 1. Not being pushed in a Guild Wars 2 forum where we're not even second class citizens, but third class.

We want to sail our own course :)

Kev

• New Guru forum is definitely different than the old Guru. Does take some getting used to but it is fairly easy once you figure it out.

Too bad that the forum software they use is an utter piece of crap (talking from experience here). I had a (legal!) Invision Power Board 3 running, when I upgraded to IPB4, literally EVERYTHING broke. And that was a full release of commercial software.
    Eventually I had to migrate that other forum to MyBB... because that actually had a great and supported IPB4 converter. MyBB is however really good.

I'm not the only one with these issues though, as for example Neowin had issues for over a year following the upgrade and it broke everything on their site - commenting, the editor UI and so forth. It's still not 100% fixed over there, and that's one of the biggest IPB forums around.

That being said, enough about my hate for IPB (though I really used to love it!). Together, we can do everything we want!

Kev

• Too bad that the forum software they use is an utter piece of crap (talking from experience here). I had a (legal!) Invision Power Board 3 running, when I upgraded to IPB4, literally EVERYTHING broke. And that was a full release of commercial software.
    Eventually I had to migrate that other forum to MyBB... because that actually had a great and supported IPB4 converter. MyBB is however really good.

I'm not the only one with these issues though, as for example Neowin had issues for over a year following the upgrade and it broke everything on their site - commenting, the editor UI and so forth. It's still not 100% fixed over there, and that's one of the biggest IPB forums around.

That being said, enough about my hate for IPB (though I really used to love it!). Together, we can do everything we want!

Kev

Curse is to blame for the IPB forums. Guru1 was so slick and nice and then they wanted to do what they did over on Guru2. Completely different and definitely not as intuitive to use as vBulletin. I don't know much about forum software out there, but I loved Guru1 and really can't stand Guru2...

• Official Post

Curse is to blame for the IPB forums. Guru1 was so slick and nice and then they wanted to do what they did over on Guru2. Completely different and definitely not as intuitive to use as vBulletin. I don't know much about forum software out there, but I loved Guru1 and really can't stand Guru2...

gotta agree with you there....there are big things I miss about vbulletin that are totally gone from ipb (which makes modding much more difficult as well). Just not a very well thought out forum. (there are also a very few things I dont mind not seeing anymore...but those are far outweighed by the ones I do miss).

• Well, the mod tools here are quite easy in my opinion, but in Stormcaller we're going to make them a lot more visible to our moderators :)
    I have worked with both vBulletin and Invision Power Board though, and in my opinion the UI of both was aweful (the admin UI atleast). The moderation panels are something I barely touched..

• have spent plenty of time on the vbulletin modcp, while not bad, not really good either --though we did have quite a few things we never used. Was able to get the job done, usually.

What are your impressions of the mod tools here? I can always try to improve it :)