• Bots have more accounts than your average person. I don’t see how that solution is better when a botter with 10 accounts can then just exchange 5 arms (that they botted) on each account for 1 of some “new currency” every day to reach their limit 10x and still end up with more than the normal person.

I also don’t agree making arms untradable is the right idea because that just screws everyone who plays legitimately and has armbraces.

I don’t agree that there are “many ways to do it”. There isn’t even one easy solution imo and botters in ANY game will ALWAYS find a way to get ahead - that’s just reality.

I have no solution to suggest of my own because other than ANET investing in bot detection and banning I don’t think there is anything that can be done that isn’t just an ineffective bandaid, and waste of development effort, in the long run.

Agreed :thumbup:. No viable solution left. The “economy” no longer exists on GW1, because Anet has concentrated on other games which have different economic systems and which bring in more money IRL. Abandoning GW1 in terms of development. AND let's not forget..... (Continued after the 2nd spoiler)->

No :thumbdown:. This will never happen. Because let's not forget that the code governing GW1 is a load of crap, either to modify or to add new content (and it's far from the only game in this case). This is one of the main reasons why development on this game was abandoned, especially after the NF code was implemented in the game (creating band-aids and banning players who accidentally find exploits left in the code is not a viable long-term technique). Far too many bugs and exploits could see the light of day if someone “plays” too much with this code today. So stop dreaming, even if Stephen tries to do something with this rotten code, nothing will change fundamentally speaking, the bots have won and will self-destruct in the process.

If you don't accept the fate of this game today, you'll never accept it, whatever the will of those involved.

• Economy can be changed easily if the developer wants, they can effectively make armbraces worthless.

A vendor isn't hard to code, it's literally copy pasting any vendor in the game.

You are disagreeing based on technical issues which aren't even present.

The point is that the changes is to make botting more meaningless.

• Lots of talk about bots, I suggest the following 4 step plan:

Step 1: Hire some cheap dude to work 1 hour a week (or find 1hour in somebody's schedule) or ill gladly do it for free
    Step 2: Instruct them to use said hour a week to run around towns (a short list can be made cause we know where they are) and identify bots
    Step 3: Get Dhuum to swing his scythe on identified bots
    Step 4: Give support some work to do from the very tiny amount of false positives you are going to generate from steps 1-3

Within a couple weeks of this a huge portion of bots are gone and the incentive to reestablish lost bots is almost 0 because there is quick and definitive consequences. You might even get most of this outcome just from an announcement of the policy / even 1 hour a month will likely achieve the same thing. If you know your bot is only going to last 30 days before you have to buy another do you really still decide to do it?
    Yes very determined people will continue the practice and yes lots of bots don't frequently zone in an out of a town and they wont be so easy to detect but its a super easy, low tech and cheap solution to the bulk of the problem.
    Clearly Anet don't want to stop bots on a large scale otherwise they would because its really not hard, expensive or time consuming.

The consequences of stopping bots in a big way is another matter which I have purposely ignored. Simply putting my opinion out there about you can stop them if you wanted.

IGN: Pyro Loves Lobsters

• It's not going to make them any money, so why do it? Are you going to tell them how to work for free and justify this cost, which doesn't earn the company anything? I don't think so, they can invest that money and manpower elsewhere. Then i don't quite agree that it's “easy” - far from it. Either detection is automatic and, what's more, “gentle”. Or it's human and (too) arbitrary. And even if you had superpowers, like Xavier in the X-Men, and could know who to ban for life, those who have been using bots for a long time will still have a potential wealth that a “normal” player will never be able to reach.

No, it's definitely their ascension that needed to be stopped, over 10 years ago, today it's dead.

• The practical implementation is easy as I outlined and yes it only solves the specific problem of bots existing. That's all I'm saying.
    It doesn't make them money. It doesn't remedy the economic imbalance that has been created by bots. It doesn't solve anything other than them existing.

You don't need super powers to identify bots. You need eyes and about 65IQ to get 99.9% accuracy and then let support deal with the 0.1%. From the recent polices of adding without asking 2fa to accounts clearly anet don't give a single solitary fuck about causing problems for support or indeed preventing innocent people playing if its obstructs what they want to implement.

I agree though, the problem has gone on for so long many of its effects are now very difficult if not impossible to undo. However surely better late than never applies here?

• Official Post

Armbraces only have a value since we players have given a value to it - in game they're only useful for several cool weapons and items, but have no further use.

Because let's not forget that the code governing GW1 is a load of crap, either to modify or to add new content (and it's far from the only game in this case). This is one of the main reasons why development on this game was abandoned, especially after the NF code was implemented in the game (creating band-aids and banning players who accidentally find exploits left in the code is not a viable long-term technique)

I don't agree with this. GW1 has barely any real technical issues (though, like any game of its scale, it has bugs and exploits), but compare it to other MMO's of its age and it is running remarkably.
    Should the code base be that bad, they also wouldn't have created another game based on this code.

Once thing that was coming up and made continued development difficult is that they were nearing 4 GB of the gw.dat file, which was a serious limitation since GW1 is still 32-bits. However, not much is stopping them from moving GW1 to 64-bits (though it might not be very easy, it is do-able) which lifts that limit. But back in the day, in 2012, this was a serious concern. But they solved that issue for GW2, can't imagine they wouldn't be able to do it for GW1 should content development ever be started again.

What is an issue though is that a lot of the development tools haven't been touched since 2010 and those need some serious love. But adding a vendor is peanuts for them.

But, going back to Armbraces... if they really want to, they can absolutely fix the economy, but it won't be a popular change (but changes to an economy never are). In essence, it would mean replacing Armbraces with a different item and devalueing the current armbraces immensely.

The main reason Armbraces are a thing is because our trade limits, bank limits and characters limits are too low. Raising those significantly will take away the need for armbraces.

But, what I expect is that Armbraces are just going to be ignored, and if something new in terms of rewards eventually do get added, they will use new materials and items instead that are better protected against botting.
    Protecting a game against botting is a losing battle, unless you are fighting against it constantly, you'll never win. And that's just the reality in any game, with the exception of games where there is no sense or need for botting.

• Official Post

You don't need super powers to identify bots. You need eyes and about 65IQ to get 99.9% accuracy and then let support deal with the 0.1%.

The issue isn't really to identify bots, because those are extremely easily identified and banned. The issue is how quickly they come back and it in essence becomes a game of whack-a-mole: ban one and mere seconds another bot takes the place of the first one. It doesn't scale up.
    The other issue is that those botters will often contact support to try and get some accounts unbanned, which creates a load on support. If the support needs significantly more time to deal with these issues because of a huge ban wave, that also means that the costs for support rise up (and these things are being budgetted for - if the costs of support rise a lot, that ain't a good thing).

I'm involved in helping run an old MMORPG and dealing with bots is hard - because it's an ongoing fight. It's easy to ban a lot of bots at once (tweak something small in game that the bots have automated, make the official client do it just a little bit different, like send an extra value in a packet, and you can flag thousands of bots at the same time). It's however hard to keep doing that and keep tweaking things, it is a fight that takes a ton of energy - and to be honest, I would much prefer to see that effort go into improving the game.

I do think that the future brings a lot of cool things for bot detection though, especially for gold spamming. AI is at the point that you can just feed it a chat log and it can easily pick out goldsellers and flag them - but then botters will try and find a new way to outrun even that. To see how creative they are, this is the chatfilter that we're maintaining for Guild Wars: https://github.com/kevinpetit/leg…/ChatFilter.ini

It's crazy to see how many variations of the same there are. Older tools make it hard to detect botting that does things like this, but AI can handle this quite well. Finally some good use for it?

PS: a now banned user was harassing someone because of this thread. Have respect for each other, just because someone else has a different opinion doesn't mean that they are wrong (or even right). Have respect for each other.
    I won't tolerate harassment.

• But, what I expect is that Armbraces are just going to be ignored, and if something new in terms of rewards eventually do get added, they will use new materials and items instead that are better protected against botting.
    Protecting a game against botting is a losing battle, unless you are fighting against it constantly, you'll never win. And that's just the reality in any game, with the exception of games where there is no sense or need for botting.

Agreed. Tbh I thought people would have switched to GotT or maybe rocks a while ago. They at least have a restriction on supply and are themselves consumed at a much higher rate than arms.

We shall see, maybe tomorrow anet will add several 0's to bank and the trade limit of platinum, that would be a fun twist.

• One of the things I prefer in GW1 is the low level of different currencies. The constant adding of new currencies in GW2 is one of the things that brought me full circle to the original.

I'd be shocked if they planned any substantial changes to GW1, not with GW3 in development.Maybe some 20th anniversary tweaks, some already mentioned, raise plat level in chest, ability to un customize weapons, and one I'd like to see, bonus Fire Imp usable at level 20.

IGN Rogue Monks Bane

• One of the things I prefer in GW1 is the low level of different currencies. The constant adding of new currencies in GW2 is one of the things that brought me full circle to the original.

It's the price to pay for having horizontal progression. The problem is that without those currencies, there would be no boundaries into just buying everything upon the release of something.
    That means that content becomes optional and only rewards more of the same, which means that next time over something new releases, people can just insta-buy it again.
    To avoid that, you introduce a new currency that you can only earn by doing specific content (aka the new content) and earn the rewards in this way. While GW1 has significantly less of these currencies, there are still quite some in the game (for example, Medals of Honor, Zaishen Coins, Armbraces, Hero Armor etc) and should the game have been in development for longer, we would probably have the same issue here. GW2 has been in development for over 12 years (after launch), whilst the active (with the exception of the Live Team) development of Guild Wars 1 after launch only was about 2.5 years long. Now, that has always been a terrible shame in my eyes, they should have increased the studio to support both GW1 and GW2 instead... but that is another story.

But with horizontal progression, it's very hard to avoid introducing new currencies. And GW2 is the extreme in that, but they've finally started working on that (e.g. Unusual Coins being re-used in expansions, and when a new expansion drops the existing Unusual Coins become Ancient Coins). But, the same issue exists here: if they release new rewards, unless they want people to just instantly buy all of them, they're going to use a new currency for it.

not with GW3 in development

While GW3 is most likely in early development, I highly doubt it has passed pre-production. From what I could gather from that investor meeting, it was a panic-induced reply and not really "GW3 is fully in development, going to release soon". I would expect that even if it is currently in development, it's still going to be 6-7 years before we see a release.
    While there was a gap of 5 years between GW1 stopping development and GW2 coming out, I highly doubt they would risk killing off the cash-cow that GW2 currently is (it's still one of their most profitable MMOs), so I would expect to see development on GW2 going on for many years.

GW1 getting new content is out of the question, not on the table at all. But I still suspect some improvements might be coming still, as long as the effort required is small. Stephen loves the game as well and I have no doubts that he is going to make a lot of changes, but I think most of these will be behind the scenes. But I do expect something to happen at the 20th birthday.

Best of all, Stephen getting to work almost fulltime on GW1 means that the servers aren't going to be shut down anytime soon.

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

obey.jpg

• I would much prefer to see that effort go into improving the game.

Banning bots (banning them instead of abandoning the game, 10 years ago) IS improving the game (now it's too late, the damage is done).

The only way to counter the bots would have been not to lose most of the community, as they would then be drowned in the mass. End of story.