• Hello, fellow travelers of bygone days. I was thinking that it might be fun to have a "back in my day" thread where people can look back with nostalgia and remember some commonplace (for you or everyone who played) things from back in the day. I would love to open up some old wounds and remember again the happenings of old that I might have forgotten and some people might not even know. Essentially, just say "Back in my day [blank]" and let us relive the times we've shared.

To start it off, back in my day you would have to be rank 3 to get in a HA party, but needed to do HA to get rank 3.

Edited once, last by WolframGW (August 27, 2018 at 8:11 PM).

• Back in my day, i wasen't good enough to run droknars forge but ran Camp Rankor > Deldrimor War Camp instead, charging 300-500g per player and was able to purchase Elite Gladiator Armor after a month or two of running.

If you'll be content with putting water with wine, the glass will always be half full.

• Back in my day:

The run from Beacon's Perch to Droknar's Forge, aka Drok's run, there was this little Easter Egg. During the run down Southern Shiverspeak, in Dreadnought's Drift, there's a mysterious chest that usually spawns. This chest was called The Lost Strongbox. As you get closer, usually an Azure pops up and will start to attack. The chest would spawn some random items. Legends say that there's a possible spawning of the legendary sword, The Crystalline Sword. Sold for buku bucks to the rich and famous for bragging purposes. Usually I run there with my bags completely empty, with some exceptional salvage and ID kits. Run back to the portal and back to DnD. Repeat. I've never got one but a few friends of mine had.

I have more, would you like to hear? Lol

IGN: Ayu Chun Li

• Back in my day:

The title tracking system and Hard Mode wasn't introduced. For PvE mapping, missions, and skill hunting, I had to write them down on my notebook and check them off as I go.

Vanquishing was introduced after the title system.

• You got it!

Back in my day:

When the price for Superior Absorption (for warriors only) was the highest of all the runes. They were selling, at the highest was ~80k a piece. You can only get them with rare armour hides to salvage from. I've made a few builds for my warrior for soloing to get these runes. I found the best place for this was to kill Ettins, they have the highest drop rate of salvageable armours. I would start out in Bettletun, clear out all Ettins in Nebo Terrace and run towards North Kryta Province. Same thing, find and kill all Ettins as you go towards Gates of Kryta. Map back to Beetletun and repeat. Avoid all the Bog Skales and Tengus, of course. This run usually takes about 30-40 minutes.

I did this for about a good 4 months or so. Whenever I need some cash, I'd hit up the "Ettin Run" and restock my storage. During a good week, I've manage to get about 2 average (superior absorptions) along with other runes too. Superior Vigor (averaging at ~60k) was nice to get, since those were the second most expensive rune. Overall, it was good money. Averaging of around 300-500k a week.

I never post or share any of these information when I played. This was instantly nerfed when 55 monk bots came and Anet changed the Ettin skill sets and threw in more obstacles.

I have screenshots of these somewhere on my hard drive. I'll post some when I remember to lol

• back in the day...there were DOZENS of districts for the mad king --and then it was only Lions Arch (and you didnt know what the hat was going to be until you attended).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I remembered The Mad King only appeared once during every hour or so, he did his little speech and then you get the item in your inventory.

In GW2 it's different.

• Back in the day:

When the infamous "55 monk" build came out, the build went crazy once everyone heard about it. But! I had to reroll many characters to get my Grim Cesta (knife version with -50HP). Sold a bunch and kept a few as well.

There were a few hot stops I heavily farmed at:

* UW (not the 'Tombs UW') was hottttttt, also faster with a SS Necro. Or 55 Necro duo/ 55 Monk duo.

* FOW, can only go as far as clearing out the beginning and heading towards the beach.

* Prophet's Path outside of Augury Rock, Griffons and whatnots. I did this with a 55 W/Mo variation as well.

* Talus Chute outside of Droknar's Forge, Minotaurs, Trolls and Mountain Ettins. I did this with a 55 W/Mo variation as well.

Ah....... the good ol' farming days lol

• Back in my day, merching a Q7 or Q8 Max item that you don't want was intentional, not a stupid mistake like it would be today (I know some of you can relate to this hehe).

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• there are so many back in my day I can mention.

Back in the day, I farmed the drok cave as 55 monk

when doing drunkard title,you actually had to do drunkard title for 10k mintues to max the title

when DWC was populated for SF

When heroes was not around and people teamed up as 4,6,8 man to do everything

When people actually knew how to do pve, not with cons,pcons,meta builds like 99% still do.

When before templates were a thing,and we had to manually choose attribute points and find every skill/spell.

when ascalon int1 was THE trading place

When Droks was THE trading place

When toa was the place for fow/uw

When greens were status symbols among weapons.

When pvp was hard

When you actually meet people in mission outposts and you pugged up and found friends that way

When economy was not inflated.

When a GM was spotted in the wild

• Back in my day warrior was the tank.

DOA took a long time.

HA was full of real teams.

GVG was a career, playing 6-8 hours of GVG a day to maintain top 40 position with over 10,000 guilds active.

Playing monk was a guarantee of a spot everywhere you went.

Fire Island was like 'OMG'.

SF was for decent players only and took a long time to clear for just the outside chance of a green drop.

Parties would form to farm greens.

Ettins were my main source of income when they used to drop gold runes. Not many people knew about it as we didn't talk about it!

US and EU servers had separate NPCs for goods and you could transfer between them bringing a pile of ectos and shards to play the markets.

Ultimate status symbol was a q8 fellblade or chaos axe.

55 monk ..ahh, the memories.

Doing things was sometimes hard.

SC (or spoiled completely as I call it) wasn't a thing.

UW full clearance took a very long time.

FoW burning forest bit was usually left until last as most likely place to wipe.

• Back in my day, we used to run fow chests with 7 other wammos.

I remember taking turns with keys and also had to wait if we didn't have favor.

Another spot was in Port Sledge. Get a group and start running. There would usually 5 chests within 15 minutes of the run and repeat.

Back in My Day when buying armors you had to choose Nice looks or good prefixes cus you coudnt have both ;)

Or when you had to find the set of armor with the right attributes and where to craft/buy them. Now you can add inscriptions to armor/weapons to make it a perfect weapon.

Back in my day:

I had to run/do missions/quests to get to a town to get max armor. I wanted the "15k armor set" (elite armor now) and not the "1.5k" in the game. They both have the same stats but appearance and materials to craft it were different. When armors were attribute specific and you cannot add runes to your armor to be anything you want.

Same goes for weapons. When weapons were ID'd as perfect stats was the holy grail. Before the inscriptions update was introduced. I still have quite a few set items that do not have an inscription option.

Back in my day when ascalon arena outpost was quite full and tombs were the entry to HA....

The "new" Underworld or TUW now of days. You had to defeat Glint to get there and THEN you can do HA lol

• Back in my Day, there was 5,6 sometimes more districts in Presearing and was nearly impossible to get into district AE 1.

Back in my Day, you needed a gate monkey to charr hunt, oh wait, that was last month ;)

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• Alright, I've had lots of time to think about this one.

Back in my day:

PvE:

* when splinter weapon/ barrage ranger was the trend for FoW farming in the forest with the spiders. Rits had their own variations.

* when 55 monk/SS necro were the ultimate 2 man duo that can face the entire game.

* when 600/smite monk duo could duo anything.

* when SF assassin/ele solo'd UW after 55 monks were somewhat nerfed.

* when ranger trap team UW/FoW was a thing, probably still a thing?

PvP:

* when IWAY teams was the best, most irritating build, to farm fame points with.

* when MF (minion factory) build was kinda fun to play (no pet cap).

* when necros didn't have a minion cap.

* when balanced teams were the shit. You had your tank (target caller), your support, your snare/interrupts, and monks

* when blood spike builds were hot.

* when starburst ele, suicide ele builds, were hot.

* when groups of 55 monks were your opponent lol.

* when guild cape trims were highly respectable, "ohhhhh snap! it's Esoteric Warriors [EW]! we're totally done."

* when thumper groups were around.

* when ranger trap groups were ridiculous to play and play against.

I'll post some more when I get more stuff brewing in my mind lol

• Fantastic idea for a thread.

Back in my day I still had hair on the top of my head, and I didn’t go “oof” when sitting down into an armchair.

And

Back in my day I merched items considered priceless by today’s standards just because I didn’t know better back then....

• Fantastic idea for a thread.

Back in my day I still had hair on the top of my head, and I didn’t go “oof” when sitting down into an armchair.

And

Back in my day I merched items considered priceless by today’s standards just because I didn’t know better back then....

Ha, back in my day I didn't have grey hairs, but that might be because I was twelve. Yeah, grey hairs at 24.

Thanks for the encouragement though. I'm glad people like the thread.

Back in my day, a warrior with healing breeze was the way to go.