Chat Filter - Filter out gold spammers.

• Thanks to the excellent update of 8 May, we now have the option to filter out messages - which is really handy for RMT spam!

How does this work?

You'll need to create a new file in this location: C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Guild Wars (you can copy and paste that location in your explorer - it will work) with the name of ChatFilter.ini

You can then fill up your file as following:

Code
    1. [ChatFilter]
    2. userFilter1=mmosky.com
    3. userFilter2=gw2sale.com
    4. userFilter3=GW2SàLè.com
    5. userFilter4=mmogamersmarket.com
    6. userFilter5=MMOGäMERSMARKÉT.COM
    7. userFilter6=gwshop.com

You can also download our file (which we try to keep updated) on https://www.guildwarslegacy.com/ChatFilter.ini - you can download this one and add it to this location.

Do you want to add some entries to our file? Feel free to list them here so we can add them.

Thanks again to Lexx for this initial list :heart:

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

:ass: Inquisitor Karinda :der: Sunspear Elke :mes:Librarian Amber

• Update:

[ChatFilter]

userFilter1=mmosky.com

userFilter2=gw2sale.com

userFilter3=GW2SàLè.com

userFilter4=mmogamersmarket.com

userFilter5=MMOGäMERSMARKÉT.COM

userFilter6=gwshop.com

• Updated

Hi there! I'm the Guild Wars Legacy admin, feel free to contact me if you've got issues.

• So far they haven't randomized anything more than it's manageable. If however they do I can think of two solutions:

(Primary)

1. I could just write a script that gives all permutations using accent chars, generating a compliant ChatFilter.ini

(And if things still get unmanageable...)

2. We could ask SCW (if and when he have time), to make the filter handle accent chars as their unaccented ones.

Right now there are very few of them. Just looked around in AE Kama/LA/GToB/Embark, and I just saw a single one already in the filter.

• When there's a will, there's a way. Filtering their messages has to be just par for the course routine. They will always find other ways to break the law. So, as a message pops up, write it in the filter. Eventually they will get the message that people who are filling the filter out don't want to see the messages and have no intention of buying gold illegally.

userFilter____#____=GW2SàLè.COM

Q: What do you call it when a naive American walks through Best Buy for days until he finds a TV?

A: A television quest!

• userFilter___#___=0,40 €

(original message: WTS 720 Armbraces 0,40 € each)

Q: What do you call it when a naive American walks through Best Buy for days until he finds a TV?

• I'm working on a small tool that will download the newest version from Legacy when you run it and launch your GW-shortcut once it has ran.

That way you'd always have the last version of the chatFilter.

ETA: probably like a week.

• I just tried to generate a list... but I don't think it's going to work.

With 18 letters in mmogamersmarket.com and 96 possible accents per letter (I may be wrong about the accented characters the client allows), there are 96 ^ 18 permutations. This means that just blocking mmogamersmarket.com alone would take 479603335372621236652373132533825536 lines.

At 66 bytes per line, that's 27455312445912908000 exabytes.

Clearly, it would be impossible to list every permutation in advance. All the RMTraders have to do is randomise the diacritical marks and a self-updating list would become useless.

The only real solution here, if my math is correct, is if SCW or Bill sets the chat filter to ignore diacritical marks.

Seems like not all characters are supported by the client. So that should drastically reduce the number of permutations.

Edited once, last by renebulous ().

• Oh hooray, I just checked, GW doesn't actually support every accented character. A pre-generated list may just be possible. I'll update shortly.

• Oh hooray, I just checked, GW doesn't actually support every accented character. A pre-generated list may just be possible. I'll update shortly.

See what I said here:

When there's a will, there's a way. Filtering their messages has to be just par for the course routine. They will always find other ways to break the law.

I think you shouldn't waste your time. What if they start using Japanese or Korean characters? What if they just make a bunch of alts stand in next to each other to form the letters?

• See what I said here:

I think you shouldn't waste your time. What if they start using Japanese or Korean characters? What if they just make a bunch of alts stand in next to each other to form the letters?

Just added Japanese or Korean letters to your filter would root that out immediately, unless you actively play with Japanese or Korean players that should not be too much of an issue.

• I have a first test version of my tool ready, basically it does the following:

• Checks if there is a ChatFilter.ini file in the folder it's running in. If not, downloads the latest version from GW Legacy.
    • If there is a file available, it downloads the header of the ChatFilter.ini on GW Legacy
    • Compares the header to the local downloaded version to check if the last edit date is different.
    • If so, it downloads the latest version from GW Legacy.
    • If not, or finished with the download, it will look for a shortcut called Gw - if found, it will launch this shortcut, so you can use the tool to launch GW - your arguments are still used.
    • If it can't find a Gw.lnk, it will look for Gw.exe and launch it.
    • If it can't find that, the tool window will stay open.

The tool requires .Net framework 4 - I'll drop the source code when I get around to it, download is attached for the compiled version.

Legacy Chatfilter.zip

To install, drop the Legacy Chatfilter.exe in your GW install root.

• It doesn't work with accented characters. I even generated a list with all the possible permutations before I found out. Then I just used the regex chat filter on Toolbox and forgot about it.

• It doesn't work with accented characters. I even generated a list with all the possible permutations before I found out. Then I just used the regex chat filter on Toolbox and forgot about it.

We'll have to make sure to inform DrStephenCW of this :) - I'll let him know.