Biggest Noob Moment in your gw history Recent or Old: Share it Here!

• Right when factions got released, I was able to buy a mini kuunavang for 60k or so. I then traded said kuunavang for a req7 15^50 celestial sword that I ended up selling for 90k. Good flip, serious regrets now

• Right when factions got released, I was able to buy a mini kuunavang for 60k or so. I then traded said kuunavang for a req7 15^50 celestial sword that I ended up selling for 90k. Good flip, serious regrets now

If that said trader was on Legacy, they may have a story for this thread about trading their q7 15^50 Celestial Sword for a Kuuna :D

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• Back in 2008 I was a beginner so I thought that Post Ascalon was the game and the map only revolves around Old Ascalon , Sanitarium and Piken square until I did this long quest which led me to Yaks Bend that changed GW for me I was amazed by the new world in the Shiverpeaks and astonished how large the map was outside Old Ascalon. Funny how I got stucked in there for almost 6 months LoL

• If that said trader was on Legacy, they may have a story for this thread about trading their q7 15^50 Celestial Sword for a Kuuna :D

That would be awesome to run into them xD After all these years I still think about that trade. I was not a power trader by any means, I was maybe 9 years old and had a very limited understanding of the game haha

Back in 2008 I was a beginner so I thought that Post Ascalon was the game and the map only revolves around Old Ascalon , Sanitarium and Piken square until I did this long quest which led me to Yaks Bend that changed GW for me I was amazed by the new world in the Shiverpeaks and astonished how large the map was outside Old Ascalon. Funny how I got stucked in there for almost 6 months LoL

I actually did this same thing pretty much until factions released and I realized how big proph was ^

• Just a note that I am still a relative newbie, and even on my main char have many areas that I haven't visited yet. So my noob mistakes are still work in progress. 😎 :blush:

Anyways, one that comes to mind is when I was trading in Kamadan and saw someone looking for an imp polymock piece. I had one. A white one. The one you get for free. And due to my noobness I didn't realize that the guy was looking for a gold one. 🙈I was even surprised because he was asking for a hefty amount of ectos. So I quickly went and got the piece from the storage and showed it to him. Good for him that he noticed and cancelled the trade.

For me it was an embarrassing noob moment, and for him it probably was a "someone was trying to scam me" moment. 😅

• Oh man so many good stories in this thread :) thanks for the giggles guys and gals. Anyhoo here goes moi;

Must've had plenty of noob gw related experiences but there's this one that sticks with me but it's not particularly trade or game related.

So back in 2005 a few months into the game I'm standing in Druids Overlook with my warrior who hadn't completed the game at the time and I start chatting with this monk, who was the only player character in that godforsaken outpost at that moment. She had 15k armor on and at the time arenanet hadn't implemented all the 15k armor skins into the game (as veterans will remember) so I say to this mo "hey I have 15k armor too ya know" and she responds saying 'ditto'.

At the time my Eng wasn't that good so I thought the word ditto was an insult and I was like YOU'LL REGRET DİS, pop out, get back in with my main who has 15k set and start spamming /pickme at this sad sod.

She was probably like wth is this dickhead doin? She never said a word, didn't move or quit and I pulled the old ragequit iirc.

What a noob I was lol.

• Beginning as a PvE monk:

What's the use of increasing divine favor, if I don't equip divine favor skills? Useless!

Beginning in PvP monk:

No shield switch, no low/high mana switch, in short me and my staff... After a while a guy made me a whole speech and insulted me between 2 sentences. So frustrated I went to get all the information I could to play PvP with my monk. After a time of adaptation, it is the opposite team which insulted me and my group which congratulated me.

• Sold a juicy -5/20% +30 req8 eternal shield a few years back for 70ecto after not playing for 7+ years... Then the guy talked me into playing dice rolls outside for ecto. lost it all. Also got ripped on the shield.

• I had a q8 dead bow drop and wanted to sell it at LA.

A guy asked me to drop it on the ground which I did because I didn't know about teleports and such at the time.

He took my bow and left, ah yea good ol bow

i had a similar experience with someone in la. It was around the time nf came out and i got a super valuable q9 colossal scimitar, which were super popular at that time. I traded that for a q8 15^50 flamberg and then some dude asked me to drop to confirm black or white version. And i was like what?
    and he said drop it on a dead body to confirm black or white version. and i did. and then he teleported and stole it.

rip

• I wouldn't say this is the biggest noob moment for me but this one stuck out to me the most during my gw career. Back in 07 someone was selling a q7 fds 15^50 for 100k+20ectoes and I was observing him sell it for at least a few hours with no luck. I ended up buying the item for around that much and thought to myself that and FDS isn't worth that much but it was q7 max perfect so it must be worth it. I tried to flip it for 100k+40 ectoes a few days later and I had no luck. I panic'd and sold it for the same price i bought it for and well..... I think about that item every now and then.

To be fair though, the q7 FDS were quite common back in the day is what I tell myself.

IGN: Shweepy Jen Jen

• I have the collectors editions and it was still early on. Too far back to really remember much, but there was a person in some outpost that seen my Kuunavang and wanted it. I said I wasn't selling it and they said there was a method for duplicating it. I was still very new and didn't know this was against ToS and thought it wouldn't hurt to see if it was possible. The player had a specific spot that this needed to take place and I wasn't there in the story yet so they had to run me there. Once there I was instructed to die and get res twice, then place it on the ground. I hesitated, but I could not imagine anything going wrong with this scenario. The player even ran off map and said "see? now I can't do anything so you are safe!" So I proceed to drop it on the ground. Thats when I died (because there actually was a glitch just not the one I was told about). I then realized I was fucked and said as much. The player was like "Noooooo I'll send it back to you I promise =)" Don't know why maybe the scammer was new to being a dick and felt bad. Regardless, I had to save up and buy another Kuunavang.

I came back from at least 10 years earlier this year. I decided to clean house, so to speak. I deleted all the OS weps I had thinking no one would want them anymore. Didn't have much, but there were some good things there.

I keep thinking I'm done making mistakes, but something always happens to prove me wrong...

• Playing AB in a french party

Ah! (i remember) So it was you, that big English speaking noob :p

• I’ve had a blast reading all of this, many trips down memory lane. I’ll share mine with you:

In 2005 I got scammed 60e and 60 obsidian shards in one of the desert missions.

I had just leaned how to run Droks on my W/Mo, with mending of course. I was so proud of myself. I ran it obsessively, making a lot of platinum that quickly turned into ecto. My only goal was to have obsidian armor. Many people I admired in the game that I had met wore obsidian armor. I was so envious and really wanted to be like them.

After I had earned 60e / 60 obsidian shards, I decided I would go into FoW to get the helm and chest. My logic was this: the chest was the most expensive part and I’d get it out of the way, and the helm, in my opinion, is the best warrior helm in the game- it fit nicely with my elite gladiator armor I was wearing at the time. I successfully completed getting these two pieces and continued running Droks for another couple of weeks to save for the other half of my armor.

I finally had my last 60e and 60 obsidian shards and I was in ToA spamming for a group during favor (it was limited because favor was based on who was holding halls) when all of a sudden, a person named ‘Legendary Scorpion’ pmed me saying “hey man, how’d you like to double your ecto and shards? I know a trick”. I said of course bro, that’s a no brainer.

He took me to the desert mission where you walk up to the ghostly and it triggers a cutscene. Before we enter, he goes “this only works if you have no skills on your bar and have no armor on”. Obviously I took my skills off my bar and armor was put into my inventory.

After we began the mission, he says “see that rock? Stand inside of it. This will only work if you stand inside the rock”. I agree and stand inside the rock. He takes off running, out of my sight. I hadn’t really done many of the missions in the desert up to this point so I was really curious and not familiar with what he was about to do to me. (Without me understanding, he ran to the ghostly hero, where he would sit ready to trigger the cutscene). He asked if I was ready, and I said sure. He told me to drop my ectos and shards on the ground and he would start.

The second I dropped my ectos and shards, he talked to the ghostly hero, instantly teleporting me to where he was. I had no skills. I had no armor. I saw him take off in a full run / survival build to retrieve my hard earned ecto. When I realized what was happening, it was too late- I tried to catch up but there was no hope. I eventually died to the devouerer’s that pop up and cripple / bleed you. I see in chat that he picks up the shards, picks up the ectos, and maps out. He put me on ignore.

I was devastated. I was 15 years old, all I cared about was this game (still true kekw). I was heartbroken. Stupid me sent a ticket in (detailing how I planned to duplicate items but got scammed lol) out of panic with screenshots and his character names in hopes of him getting banned / never having others go through what I did. Anet responded by saying “yo mfer it’s illegal to dupe items and we will perma ban you next time if we catch you trying this”. I was shook to my core, and to this day won’t even run toolbox out of fear of getting banned lol.

• Reading this did hurt 🥹

• This was harrowing to read. Still dripping with heartbreak 💔

You're in a better place now, T, and wiser for the time ❤️‍🩹

<3[PhD]<3

• yeah that sucks

Its still hard to believe that people are so wrapped up in a video game that they will rip people off for stuff

IGN Rogue Monks Bane

• Hey there !

Got something to say about scammers too haha

Was first scammed back in the days when trades were in Ascalon, the first one was my Q8 15^50 Sephis Axe. The guy told me to invite him, go outside and as you can guess, drop the item to "watch" it on the ground and stole it. I was so depressed...

The second one, same spot, Ascalon, a Q8 15^50 Oni Blade, same thing, but with that experience I told him to get away from me. Did not see he was X/A and did not think about tp skills on team mates, "death retreat" or something very similar. Depressed again...

And as usual, the 100g instead of 100 plat 2 times...

Was a good trader right? :D

• 1. Sold off OS items in 2007 when inscribables became a thing without knowing they'd be more valuable.

2. Used my then main account to raptor bot in 2009 and got permabanned.

3. Left my collection to be cared for by another "collector" in 2012 only to return 6 years later and discover the person sold it.

• When I first started playing I remember a black dye dropping in pre. Used it on my chest armour - hardly noticed the difference.

It was weeks before I realised how much it was worth.