What would you like from Legacy?

• Happy new year to everyone.

As it’s a new year, I thought I’d take a moment and ask you all what your think of Legacy currently, and ask you what you’d like to see from us in the future. We have a direction we’d like to go in, but as this is for everyone in the whole Guildwars universe, it would be great to hear what people want so we can try and accommodate as much as we can.

Max

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

• I assume this is a slight typo ;)

it wouldn’t be great to hear what people want so we can try and accommodate as much as we can.

As a full time chest runner and advocate for others to try and possibly enjoy doing it as well, I think it would be nice to separate the Farming Section from a Chest Running section. These are really 2 different activities and potentially 2 different audiences. Some overlap but it would be nice to go to one of the 2 locations depending on which you are interested in reading about at that time. Over the last couple months, I have seen and been part of discussions regarding chest running and this would give an isolated location for these discussions. Just a thought.

My Legacy Trade Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

My Collections (Working Progress): Chevy's Shiny Relics

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• Staying consistent in the way this forum have been run... it's moderation, the staff and the layouts of the forums have been pretty top notch. More of that in whatever direction this forum chooses to go will be good enough for me.

As for the suggestion for a shout box? I'm on the fence about it. On one hand it really does enhance the community by bringing them closer together, but it also allows for escalation of issues to grow wildly out of control without strict and heavy moderation at all times.

There are some people who join forums just to troll these spaces and it sours the over all experience for the rest.

• I assume this is a slight typo ;)

As a full time chest runner and advocate for others to try and possibly enjoy doing it as well, I think it would be nice to separate the Farming Section from a Chest Running section. These are really 2 different activities and potentially 2 different audiences. Some overlap but it would be nice to go to one of the 2 locations depending on which you are interested in reading about at that time. Over the last couple months, I have seen and been part of discussions regarding chest running and this would give an isolated location for these discussions. Just a thought.

Would you prefer the Chest Running to get it's own subforum below farming or just a totally seperate category for it?

maybe something like this: https://www.chatango.com/ would be a nice addition, but i dont know if other players like this...

in my opinion it would be nice to have, but it s not really needed , just an suggestion^^

Shoutboxes are handy and I had it installed on another forum - it can be a great asset, but also a great curse. It's something I'm keeping in mind and it might appear in the future.

Staying consistent in the way this forum have been run... it's moderation, the staff and the layouts of the forums have been pretty top notch. More of that in whatever direction this forum chooses to go will be good enough for me.

As for the suggestion for a shout box? I'm on the fence about it. On one hand it really does enhance the community by bringing them closer together, but it also allows for escalation of issues to grow wildly out of control without strict and heavy moderation at all times.

There are some people who join forums just to troll these spaces and it sours the over all experience for the rest.

See the above :) if we're going to have a shout box, it will have to be moderated well, like we've always tried to run the site :).

Kudos to all our moderators! :)

Glad you like our work so far! We're trying to improve it as much as we can for the future :)

Transparency, tax cuts, and border security.

oh, wait... wrong forum!

I'll pass this on to our Master Tax-receiver MaxBorken.

• Would you prefer the Chest Running to get it's own subforum below farming or just a totally seperate category for it?

I think a subforum in the Builds and Content section would be sufficient. Right now, 6/18 posts in the Farming section are regarding chest running. Having this isolated my encourage others to post either questions or recommendations for chest running.

Most of the posts currently are mine with individual location guides. These are drawing interest which is great. Outside of responses to these on the individual posts, I have been contacted in game by both players I knew and players I didn't know. I would like to potentially add more of these if they continue to be helpful to others and not a concern by yourself and other mods that they are added to the forum.

Other Fun (Discontinued, Historical info available): Poll for Favorite 2021 Drop

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• I have a dream ... Seeing the old buy & sell gwshop' s system on this forum.
    Maybe too much work in order to implement it, but it's my dream ;)

It´s still in existence - called gwauctions. look it up (sadly not too active anymore)

+1 for the Chestrunning section.

Also +5 for the positive feedback for the site ;)

Other than that - I couldn´t think of anything I miss right now ;D

I WTB all kinds of Tower Shields and Defenders. I do drop research - if you find anything remarkable or want to see the results - check the thread or send a pm!

IGN1 Red Fireball Rusher

IGN2 Silberner Magier

• I was asked on discord to clarify what is meant by "we have a direction we want to go with Legacy"

There were things we wanted to do but not sure if they'd be used such as a blog spot, and a gallery section...to name a couple.

-Founder of Guild Wars: a new hope fb group

-Co founder of the kamadan fb group

-Co-founder of Guild Wars Legacy

28 year old game designer, car builder, comic artist, and director.

• we were promised a black theme on gwl,but havent seen any progress on that either. So a black themed style would be really nice in the future.

Doing a black theme properly isn't that easy - I want to have it in place properly. Right now, lots of things here depend on light elements. When turning it dark, it doesn't always work and it requires a lot of small tweaks to pull it off correctly.

That being said, it's still being worked on.

Things that are not the way they should be or that just looked off: the quotes looked horrible, there are a lot of white styled elements and white borders that just look awful and I need to use different tactics to make things look nicer. I also really want it to look different and I'm spending a lot of time on it being different. It should't just be black, it should be proper black.

I'm currently testing the black theme out (it's also available for everyone now under the name The Dervish) as a daily driver and I'm constantly changing things to it.

Feel free to test it out and give me feedback - but it's something that easily breaks. For example, when I was typing this, the text I was seeing was white and unreadable since I am on the admin-background. Normal users wouldn't have this issue (their backdrop is just black). But it's things like that that's holding it back.

The editor also looks awful and needs some TLC still.

• It´s still in existence - called gwauctions. look it up (sadly not too active anymore)

+1 for the Chestrunning section.

Also +5 for the positive feedback for the site ;)

Other than that - I couldn´t think of anything I miss right now ;D

Omg, someone else remembers gwauctions... xD

Afaik gwauctions is not the same system as gwshop was (but I never used gwshop so idk for sure). Maarten the gwauctions admin looked at all the other auction sites and made his own system that he thought used the best features of other sites. Its sad its not used more, it used to be a great place. The gwauctions site is aging and doesn't use https, though it's been discussed. I'm sure the lack of traffic might be part of it, but, also Maarten has somewhat moved on to other stuff (but still contactable and does do maintnence when asked/needed).

+1 for Chestrunning section too

ꚛꚙꚛ Ouch My Assassin | Raise R Bladez ꚛꚙꚛ

• Some of the things below I'm thinking of as I write so sorry its a bit long and rambling!

Chat

Chat boxes just get filled with spam, and a bit like the Off-Topic forum couldn't that be used? Or if you want more of a live discussion then theres a Legacy Discord and GW Global Discord. Sure you need another account but it can be accessed in web browser, it is linked to from here and is already populated and moderated and most importantly active.

On the topic of Discord; what is happening with the Guild Wars Legacy Discord? Is it linked to this site any more? Is it linked to GW Legacy Guild/Alliance? Is it linked to the GW New Hope group? Mr Crow seems to have set things up but it hasn't been very transparent.

Forum Layout

Forum wise I think there should be less sub-forums, not more. The current ones could even be consolidated.

For the Builds and Content; Individual, Team, Farming, Speed Clearing could all be put in one that then becomes more active.

Can we bring back the labels/tags for threads? That way you could have one Subforum with tags to identify the threads. Individual/Team/SC/Farm/Chest Run etc.

That way you don't have multiple low activity Sub-Forums but have an easy visual for the topic of individual threads.

Streaming and Video and Creative Works could be combined into one as well.

I don't think it is necessary to have as many/the same sub-forums as GWGuru used to have. There just isn't enough disucssion and content these days to have it separated out.

Guru Archive

Is it possible for you to see how many hits the Guru Archive gets and which parts of it as to its usefulness? Would it be useful to remake guides and information on Legacy and remove access to them on Archive if it is a lot of space/cost to upkeep. Maybe having a Guru Archive while historic isn't the best because it means people don't have to create new content.

Guides

Alot of PvE players are making interesting guides and build theories to try and now optimise and improve as much as possible, but people have taken to using PvX and GWSC wikis(?) (wikii?) for creating build guides rather than posting them here. Could cross-posting even be considered as it might make them easier to find and be commented on/discussed with different areas of the community. Maybe discuss that with the people making them. I see Krschkr used to post some Team Builds on Legacy but now posts to PvX and Reddit.

Xunlai/Trading

The trading forum seems like the most active part of the forum, could there be any improvements made there? I see that auctions are mentioned in this thread, but trading via forum always seemed to be preferrable.

You have in the sidebar the trading rate of Ambraces to Ecto; how often is that updated/how accurate is it? Is it possible to do the same thing for Platinum to Ecto?

These days a lot of people seem to trade in Ecto, even for items that are lower-end. I think it would give some clarity to that for people that might want to do trading but don't have stacks of Ecto and aren't au fait with daily trading rates.

As with the thread tags I mentioned above, could they be introduced for Selling threads to identify when peope are selling really high-end stuff. Allow people to have two threads one in each tag so they can list things and people have an idea of prices.

One of the things with GW trading is it can take a long time to understand the market, not just the price of something but what is worth something and what isn't.

This would be something an auction based site could do if it tracks prices and can average them, but being able to accurately price-check items based on what they're sold for could be really handy.

Forum Content

Mods forum should be renamed to In-Game Modifications/Applications for clarity. Put in some effort to find, host, and explain the more useful texmods. Make a proper guide for setting up and installing umod for GW with an FAQ. Have proper info and examples of the good texmods as Wiki isn't the easiest place to find info and is pretty outdated. You could also have a request a texmod option if there are people out there that would make such things. Now that we're into the stage of the game where QoL things are much more handy people may have good ideas vs turning your bow into a banana.

Legacy General

What is the Articles link in the heading in comparison to the Legacy News forum, couldn't just one be used?

Social Media link on the heading only links to Facebook groups, could that be renamed?

There are 8 people in the 'Legacy Team'/Moderators but I don't think it is that clear what their roles are and how they are involved. Guru used to show the forum moderators on the forum list but this forum doesn't do that. Maybe a page/post with the brakedown of their involvement.

There was a lot of commentary and discussion about the recent Wintersday competition teaser on Reddit/Discord. Some thought into how to publicise future Legacy events with a decent level of transparency.

• On the topic of Discord; what is happening with the Guild Wars Legacy Discord? Is it linked to this site any more? Is it linked to GW Legacy Guild/Alliance? Is it linked to the GW New Hope group? Mr Crow seems to have set things up but it hasn't been very transparent.

I thought I was transparent with the alliance project since I've talked about it last year on both Facebook and this website, there just isn't a lot of interest.

Yes the discord over all is still linked to FB & this site.

I'm open to suggestions on how to be more transparent in regards to the alliance project.

• I will comment on the Xunlai idea of tags and having multiple threads...it didnt work on guru if you remember bsolt (as you were a mod at the time they were around if I remember correctly)...ultimately we got rid of them and got rid of high end as there just wasnt enough threads.

We will, however, look into a better way to 'tag' threads in Xunlai.....

• I thought I was transparent with the alliance project since I've talked about it last year on both Facebook and this website, there just isn't a lot of interest.

Yes the discord over all is still linked to FB & this site.

I'm open to suggestions on how to be more transparent in regards to the alliance project.

Maybe I missed the info could you link to it?

I will comment on the Xunlai idea of tags and having multiple threads...it didnt work on guru if you remember bsolt (as you were a mod at the time they were around if I remember correctly)...ultimately we got rid of them and got rid of high end as there just wasnt enough threads.

We will, however, look into a better way to 'tag' threads in Xunlai.....

Well, it helped to identify threads iirc but like you say people would still mix up the contents or there wasn't enough to justify it. I doesn't mean it couldn't be implemented in a better way or work better now. The times I look at Xunlai forum I see more and more threads for high-end items worth lots of Ecto and not so much the low-end. We don't need a split forum which there may have been at one point too but as an improvement for people that don't want to click on every thread to know if they can afford what may be mentioned. It's just a thought though, may not be feasible as you say. :)

• Well, it helped to identify threads iirc but like you say people would still mix up the contents or there wasn't enough to justify it. I doesn't mean it couldn't be implemented in a better way or work better now. The times I look at Xunlai forum I see more and more threads for high-end items worth lots of Ecto and not so much the low-end. We don't need a split forum which there may have been at one point too but as an improvement for people that don't want to click on every thread to know if they can afford what may be mentioned. It's just a thought though, may not be feasible as you say. :)

We have tried to keep the rules as simple as possible--adding things like sub forums (high end vs reg) or prefixes (high end, low, mixed) confused just about everyone on guru (including many of the moderators!) so I dont think that years later on a slightly different forum it would be an improvement or less confusion. Adding some tags to the threads themselves is way I think things are moving towards--so you can label your stuff high end, low end and/or mixed and not be breaking any rules....we are looking into this.

But yes, right now, you cant really tell what people are offering (though there are mixed as well as low end stuff available right now). So yes, we are trying to find a new ground to cover this and not repeat the failures of before.

• I think a subforum in the Builds and Content section would be sufficient. Right now, 6/18 posts in the Farming section are regarding chest running. Having this isolated my encourage others to post either questions or recommendations for chest running.

Most of the posts currently are mine with individual location guides. These are drawing interest which is great. Outside of responses to these on the individual posts, I have been contacted in game by both players I knew and players I didn't know. I would like to potentially add more of these if they continue to be helpful to others and not a concern by yourself and other mods that they are added to the forum.

A subforum for chest running is now available under Builds and Content :)

I have a dream ... Seeing the old buy & sell gwshop' s system on this forum.
    Maybe too much work in order to implement it, but it's my dream ;)

To be honest, it's something that I have been thinking about as well. Perhaps one day, as it's a ton of work, but in the meantime I want to optimize the existing setup here as much as possible.

I'd like to be able choose page of a thread i go to from sections main forum page, while now i must open thread and after that choose right page, somuch extra loading ;P

Good point, it is something that could come in handy and it's certaintly something that I'm looking into for future updates :)

This is a whopper :P

• Chat/Discord: this has been taken over by Mr Crow and will be changed soon. We're also looking into more integration with Guild Wars Legacy itself.
    • Builds: Ideally this is something that I want to see completely changed and I'm looking into finding a way to better implement builds in Guild Wars Legacy. Same applies to builds and guides. I'd like to edit some templates specifically for that.
    • The ecto to armbraces is manually updated, I'd also would like to add in ecto to plat, but we need a better way to update it.
    • Mods: also on the to revamp list, but this is quite low on the priority list right now - but it's not away from it.
    • Articles will be taking over the Legacy News section soon.
    • You have a point about the social media, I've renamed it.
    • Future contests are going to be handled differently. It's a learning curve to be honest.
  • A subforum for chest running is now available under Builds and Content :)

Awesome!! Thank you very much on the behalf of all interested in this update.

I don't want to push it since you have already made this update hehe, would it be possible to move some of the existing Chest Run related posts that are in the Farming section now so that we start off with a good separation and the new Chest Running section already has some threads? Here are the ones I saw in Farming that appear to be Chest Running related:

Chest Run: Factions - Raisu Palace - HM

Post Your Favorite Chest Run

Chest Run: Prophecies - Skyward Reach - NM

Chest Run: Nightfall - Barbarous Shore - NM

Chest Run: Prophecies - Hell's Precipice - HM

Chest Run: Factions - Wajjun Bazaar - NM

I hope to add more of the Chest Run mapping examples in the near future.

Thank you in advance!

• you're welcome. I believe I moved all the ones that you linked

• One very small thing Id like to see would be an addition to the "Armbraces to ecto" rate display on the forum overview page to include the Ecto/Zkeys exchange rate.

Over the years Zkeys seem to have transitioned from Chest title opening items to a completely parallel payment method for mid to high end trades.

• One very small thing Id like to see would be an addition to the "Armbraces to ecto" rate display on the forum overview page to include the Ecto/Zkeys exchange rate.

Over the years Zkeys seem to have transitioned from Chest title opening items to a completely parallel payment method for mid to high end trades.

This is interesting, and with my comment above as well about Ecto to Plat added.

So we could have
    Ecto : Platinum
    Ecto : Zaishen Key

Ecto : Ambrace

Question is, how can this be defined in order to stay accurate enough to rely on it. Do we need to canvass people who are involved in the game/trades on a regular basis? Ecto:Platinum isn't too bad because you could just take the mean between Trader Buy & Sell, but the others are harder to define.

Sadly no API for GW so it all has to be done manually too.

• This is interesting, and with my comment above as well about Ecto to Plat added.

So we could have
    Ecto : Platinum
    Ecto : Zaishen Key

Ecto : Ambrace

Question is, how can this be defined in order to stay accurate enough to rely on it. Do we need to canvass people who are involved in the game/trades on a regular basis? Ecto:Platinum isn't too bad because you could just take the mean between Trader Buy & Sell, but the others are harder to define.

Sadly no API for GW so it all has to be done manually too.

The thing about the 3 variants listed, Ecto : Armbrace and Ecto : Zkey are player driven trade prices depending on who much players are willing to buy these from before someoen else purchases them before you.

The Platinum : Ecto trade price however is directed by the Rare Mats NPC trader prices by averaging the buy and sell offers and translate that to hpw many Ectos can you sell/buy from players for that average.