Open Letter to Anet is now live!

• Hello all, the open letter petition to Anet is now live!

https://guildwarslegacy.com/open-letter/

Firstly, major props to Kevin for making the webpage for the letter. He took the time to set it up as it's own page, in a format that will allow people to sign the form.

The intention of this letter is not a "wish list" or "want list" of pretty things or updates we'd like to see in the game; it is more of a request that Arenanet and it's developers play a more active role in Guild Wars and the Guild Wars community again. Baby steps, people - we don't want to bombard them with a smorgasbord of our wildest Guild Wars update dreams.

To sign the petition, please register in the comment box and type "/signed." Please use the comment box on the petition only for signing or positive phrases regarding our love for Guild Wars and hope for future updates.

If you'd like to talk about the letter, debate, have friendly conversation, express future hopes and dreams for the game, or what have you - please post in this thread.

Thank you!

AC

"...one thing I have learned—life is too damn short not to have a cookie when you want one." - Ray Stevenson.

• "Lastly, many in the community have expressed interest in funding certain areas of development for Guild Wars by the use of crowd-funding campaigns, or through paying a monthly subscription fee. We will happily shell out our hard-earned cash for anything that will keep Guild Wars alive and thriving. We will buy items from your online store even when we don't particularly need them, just to support Guild Wars. "

If there's a monthly fee, I'm out of the game.

The good thing is that the game is alive and theres no way you raise enough for them to even take interrest in that.

So don't use WE but rather: "the people who are willing to donate their money to finance a 14y old game will"

• If there's a monthly fee, I'm out of the game.

Unfortunately, I have to agree that many people would no longer play. However, I don't think they're stupid enough to suicide their game by doing so. I would worry as much about them doing that as I do about catching COVID-19.

The overall sentiment is well spoken and I feel some communication could be afforded to our community. After all, it is this game that built the foundation for their current (and future?) focus.

My IGN: Purely Impurity

Discord: Purely#2018

Please check out my WTB thread.

Follow my LSoGW (0 death GWAMM) progress HERE.

• First point made is about removing farm-bots and also PvP-bots, whilst removing these from the game might sound like a good idea to some; if done without also adding a way for us to easier obtain pcons or having "some" AI in PvP battles this will actually negatively impact the game.

The third and last point is the bit that surprised me "We will happily shell out our hard-earned cash for anything that will keep Guild Wars alive and thriving. We will buy items from your online store even when we don't particularly need them, just to support Guild Wars".

I actually don't agree with this sentiment, It's a very cucked way of thinking to me. No offence.

If people want to donate to running Guild Wars let them add a Donate button on log-in; that should entitle us to a public liaison and more active facebook/twitter page at least; dare I say an employee actually working in the game again also.

Personally I think the letter could have been worded better; still I appreciate your effort.

IGN: Aria Moonshot

The War Against [EviL]

• Maybe the next time you wish to represent a community , let them see what youre writing before putting their stamp on it.

The bot thingy where you say that we don't understand what's going on is actually your point of view.

They just don't care about the game as of now because it doesn't bring enough money thats about it.

It's the exact same for CM, doing it in your free time . . . sure, asking for a company to dedicate someone for Guild Wars 1 for which the player base is almost non existent ? No

In the end this open letter you stamp with GW community is just your letter addressing issues you either don't understand or put a blindfold on to cover them up.

Mind kindly either rewriting this letter or removing the guild wars community stamp. I don't want to be affiliated with this.

I do appreciate the initiative though, but it's futile to say the least.

• Maybe the next time you wish to represent a community , let them see what youre writing before putting their stamp on it.

I don't want to be affiliated with this.

Don’t sign it then. Nobody is affiliated with it until they sign it. Only by signing it does one signal agreement. It’s opt-in, not applied to everyone unilaterally.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

• Let's hope at least that the letter will start a discussion at reddit or here at forum with someone official from ANet about the future and what is possible for updates and what not but i just see the classic response with (insert marketing bs) as usual,
    most of the ppl that worked in the original GW left ANet even Mike O'Brien is out, so who is still there and has experience with the tools and coding of the game ?

I think the letter should go to the original creators and the founders of ANet, they are the only ppl that could move the strings to happen something good for the game as a side project without caring for profit just for the sake of the fans and players.

The only solution that i see with the current situation for updates is either ANet put 4-5 ppl to work on the game (highly unlikely as there are no old workers with experience on the game) or make an agreement with an indie company that will carry the updates and if there is generated profit a percentage will go to them but who is that crazy to get in the nightmare of GW coding ?

I don't agree with the monthly subscription fee but i want updates to happen so what i do ? Do i sign ?

• I would just like to have some CS folks who are more familiar with the game take gw (1) related issues and not those who have no clue about it.....so a few staffers with both gw and gw2 backgrounds would be nice. (So I guess some training for their current CS people would be nice).

***my future hope/dream ***

:mouse:where is the 'all you can eat' cookie bar? :cookie:

• The game has seen no real content since 2007. The number of players is very limited today. Many at the time accepted that the game had no future in terms of content and evolution. This did not prevent some from continuing to player by remaining lucid. It’s time to wake up. Having the stupid idea of asking anet for content for a subscription, you’re on the moon. The idea of the letter on another basis, as a thank you would have been laudable. But this is a letter of despair, thoughtless of no-life.

• As much as I truly appreciate the efforts to engage Anet to improve the future state of this wonderful game, I don't feel that the proposed letter is at the state I can agree to. And please refrain from responding with "don't sign then", this just shows the arrogance and lack of interest of hearing input from others when it has been solicited.

My thoughts if truly welcomed, is that the first attempt of opening up communication channels with Anet is in relation to having more engagement with the community. Getting this point across alone will assist in gauging the future of the game.

The approach of pointing out things that they are doing wrong has the risk of a defensive response if any response at all.

As expressed in other's responses, indicating that the community is willing to pay a fee in order to get new content, is not a guarantee that can be promised to them as the community may not react to this as you may hope. Why not allow them to respond to a similar question of "What can we do as a continuously engaged community to help with further growth of the game?". My point is creating a line of communication and not backing anyone into a corner with promises.

I hope for the best for any approach that is taken.

My Legacy Posts: WTSell | WTBuy

Definition of "Collection": An Accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby.

Note: Definition does not specify rarity or value, although it could be a choice, it's not a requirement.

• What is the point of having a thread with pages and pages of arguments about bots if you are not using them ? You are not addressing the point that without bots, sc players are just nothing and same goes for ha. It will be dead.

So yea cry about your precious items being more expensive than it used to be but don't forget a part of the community. Without bots and actual alternatives to them you are just killing the game more.

Please don't talk about the gw community as a whole but more about a part of it. The argument about no signing it is not relevant otherwise make a disagree button :-)

• Thank you all for taking the time to read the letter.

I realize that many of you do not want Arenanet's involvement; considering their involvement would at the very least require game moderation (i.e., confronting illegal game activity), and many of you openly support illegal game activity.

Since that is the case then we are at an impasse as a community.

For those of you who are concerned about the line "monthly subscription fee," if you'll read the context of that paragraph you'll see that the letter is in no way advocating a monthly subscription fee; rather it is requesting what kind of resources on the community's behalf it would take for Arenanet to support the game in any capacity.

Nevertheless, that paragraph would still serve the same purpose if those three words were taken out so I'd be happy to do so.

EDIT: It has now been removed from the letter.

AC

"...one thing I have learned—life is too damn short not to have a cookie when you want one." - Ray Stevenson.

Edited once, last by ACWhammy ().

• Something to consider is that some of the highest income from the game comes from the illegal activities. ANET bans accounts very slowly, however realistically the majority of new account purchases are these very people. The very reason I picked gw over WoW a long time ago after leaving Diablo 2 was the lack of subscription fee. I would give up on the game if it gained one unless it went back into full production mode aka new content in large amounts.

• Of course everyone wants Arenanet's involvement, but it would definitely be better if we initially discussed all the issues as a community, since you are writing on its behalf.

Our main mutual goal is to increase the number of active players, this should be quite obvious from the letter.
    Seriously, the letter is written in beautiful language, but the ideas are presented too emotionally and most importantly, there should be no complaints in it. Our disagreement with the violation of the rules should be discussed with an authorized person, but it is definitely unacceptable to condemn Anet in our letter for inaction.

It is also indecent to discuss money issues so openly, we just need to say that we are ready to support the development of the project.

In General, I really like your idea of writing a letter to the company, and I am grateful for your work, but let 's jointly tweak the letter itself a little;)

• I realize that many of you do not want Arenanet's involvement; considering their involvement would at the very least require game moderation (i.e., confronting illegal game activity), and many of you openly support illegal game activity.

No. I don't think many of us openly support illegal game activity. But the reality of removing such activity without making at least minor changes to the game and its economy will literally kill it, or big parts of it. The compiler change (that STILL has sh*t fucked up with client crashes and more) and mass ban wave came so close to killing the SC scene and completely terrorized the economy. At this point it's a matter of literally having to spend real life money to gold sellers to even be able to play what you want.

I think it would be very healthy for the game, especially PvP if bots were gone - if, and ONLY if, the issues that creates are addressed. Until then, bots are the lesser evil because they at least don't make it impossible to play the game.

It's really sad that this "open" letter to ArenaNet, which we've never seen or contributed to (I mean sure there was a post on what to possibly include, but you just ignored it anyway and gave us no hints on what you'd actually write), doesn't address any problem except for bots and content updates.

• I have read the letter fast, but, is there any change or adding to pve/pvp/quality of life updates in the letter?

Because thats the only thing this game needs. Why would we want a community manager if theres no updates to the game? I suggested adding the mode "Costume Brawl" that has unique pvp maps (very nice ones) and unique mechanics as a permanent pvp mode, obviusly they can remove the costume thing and let any build posible to play since its not halloween, That wouldnt require much coding for them, and would give us something new to play.

• It is a pity to see that such a great idea has not found its implementation. In my opinion, the situation with isolation could greatly play into our hands. Can we try to reach a consensus and finish the job? Most of the work has already been done, we just need to make certain adjustments and then we can spread the information about collecting signatures on Reddit and in the game. I understand that everyone was left with a residue after difficult discussions of this issue. But we are all United by one common desire and we can easily formulate our appeal in such a way that everyone will be satisfied.

• Of course everyone wants Arenanet's involvement, but it would definitely be better if we initially discussed all the issues as a community, since you are writing on its behalf.

Our main mutual goal is to increase the number of active players, this should be quite obvious from the letter.

In General, I really like your idea of writing a letter to the company, and I am grateful for your work, but let 's jointly tweak the letter itself a little;)

Hey Ve_Zz, I really appreciate and value your input, and anyone else who has taken this letter into consideration.

I did ask in a previous thread if there was any questions the community had for Arenanet.

It is a pity to see that such a great idea has not found its implementation. In my opinion, the situation with isolation could greatly play into our hands. Can we try to reach a consensus and finish the job? Most of the work has already been done, we just need to make certain adjustments and then we can spread the information about collecting signatures on Reddit and in the game. I understand that everyone was left with a residue after difficult discussions of this issue. But we are all United by one common desire and we can easily formulate our appeal in such a way that everyone will be satisfied.

The letter is not perfect, but I will not re-write the letter, as I'm sure many will take issue with the next re-write, and then the next re-write after that.

Through this process, I realized that we do not have a main mutual goal - or perhaps the majority of the community does, but I just happen to be an outlier.

I would encourage anyone else to give this a shot! I will not take offense if my letter is replaced by someone else's and receives more signatures.

Thank you all, it's been fun!

• I think we'd all like a major release like a new mission pack or campaign, but realistically not going to happen. However I think a fairly easy development that could have the potential to bring in a decent resurgence would be to create an official "ironman" and "hardcore ironman" game modes. Not sure how hard it would be to develop this, but it doesn't sound too hard to remove the storage/player trade options for ironman add some text next to names and a few other features, and account deletion in hardcore ironman. Could be a fairly easy development to determine if updates would bring players back or not.

EDIT: Would be cool to have some sort of xp leaderboard for hardcore ironmen as well.

Edited once, last by Macdaddy ().